• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Just make sure you are going to be ok moving a 6' long box around, especially with all that weight. A 6' box is a BIG box to have to move in & out of a trailer, through doorways, down hallways, etc... Plus, add in all that weight and you are looking at something that is going to be tough to maneuver.

i am always moving my boxes from my trailer into houses, garages, etc that I am working on. I was going to originally go with a big box with a solid wood top like you are talking about but realized it is much easier to move a couple smaller boxes than one big box.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just make sure you are going to be ok moving a 6' long box around, especially with all that weight. A 6' box is a BIG box to have to move in & out of a trailer, through doorways, down hallways, etc... Plus, add in all that weight and you are looking at something that is going to be tough to maneuver.

i am always moving my boxes from my trailer into houses, garages, etc that I am working on. I was going to originally go with a big box with a solid wood top like you are talking about but realized it is much easier to move a couple smaller boxes than one big box.

Right now I'm trying to get away from 2 chests, but that's mainly because I have to carry them a long ways. I guess getting 2 roller cabinets that are roughly 36 would be just as good, and I could probably get more drawers that way (less wasted space). Its at least worth exploring, thanks for the idea.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I am VERY pleased with my tool-box from Rural-King. I forget the brand (yes it's made in China) but it is very good quality. Is it Snap-On? No, but when I can get into a 42" chest+box that stands as tall as I do for $400 it's an extremely good value. The drawer slides are very smooth and seem to be quite heavy duty. I have it full of machinist stuff including lots of carbide tooling (heavy) and it works excellent.

FWIW, to get them cheap you have to wait for black friday. That is when Rural King blows out their tool boxes; they've done it the last several years in a row.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    something you might want to consider, if you intend to roll your cabinets over rough and irregular surfaces... is the caster size and material. I finally replaced the 4" casters on mine with 8" penumatic ones. now it will roll over small rocks which tend to collect in the garage from the gravel drive, and it can even roll, with some effort, in the gravel driveway as well.....just a thought.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    something you might want to consider, if you intend to roll your cabinets over rough and irregular surfaces... is the caster size and material. I finally replaced the 4" casters on mine with 8" penumatic ones. now it will roll over small rocks which tend to collect in the garage from the gravel drive, and it can even roll, with some effort, in the gravel driveway as well.....just a thought.

+1

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Doh, wish I had seen this earlier. A buddy has a very nice one for sale. Also another couple buddies are distributors for a good brand of boxes.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I see you already ordered one but maybe the second box look into a machinest box. Normally they have a ton of small drawers instead of bigger drawers.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Avoid Husky (Home Depot brand). Went to get in mine one day, and it had magically locked itself...but not with the key. Apparently my wife bumped it with the car. No dents, but the horizontal bar in the locking mechanism jumped the way too shallow track on the back of the box. Had to break lose a couple of drawers from the lock bar to get access to the mechanism. I miss my old Craftman with the external bars on the front.

Top Bottom