• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So my son is graduated and in a house. Wanted to buy him a basic toolkit for home. Screwdrivers, pliers, basic wrench set, hammer, misc. other stuff as budget permits. Also a toolbox.

Long ago when I was young my dad got me a Craftsmen set that still serves me well. Last time I went to Sears for a warranty on a socket wrench I looked at a few tools and the prices for Craftsman brand were ridiculous, so high it looked like they were trying to kill the line so they no longer had to give lifetime warranties.

So what brand do I buy that is not crappy Harbor Freight quality but not overpriced Craftsman?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Kobalt (Lowes) has actually gotten pretty decent reviews. I don't use them for much, but I know tons of folks that do. Lots of sales this time of year.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I have a mixed of Craftsman and Snap-On. Most of my hand tools were passed down from my dad. That's one good thing about the higher end tools, generations can enjoy them. Sadly I had to sell most of my tools when we moved to the city. :(

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I still lean towards Craftman. Like you, that was the stuff my Dad got me when I went out on my own. But, yes, the prices are up.

Kobalt is good. I feel no need to be brand specific for everything. I like Stanley screwdrivers, just about anyone's hammer, Craftsman sockets and wrenches, but I have some Kobalt sockets and wrenches too. Rigid from Home Depot is fine.

For power tools, I have a corded Craftsman drill that my Dad gave me 25 years ago that I have abused and it is still going strong. I prefer Milwaukee cordless (no money savings there).

For a basic circular saw that will get the job done, Skil has good ones for even $50. I am particularly impressed with a Black and Decker 5" random orbital sander I have. the first one worked for over 10 years of SEVERE abuse doing everything from woodworking to auto body work. I now have my second- $29.95 at Walmart.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Kobalt is higher than craftsman in price. Check sunday paper and a lot of tools you can get half price at Sears.
    Just have to look at every "sale tag" on the walls and shelves.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For hand tools- non power, I would not be afraid to shop a pawn shop and see if you could get higher end tools for less, starting at Craftman and going up, Mac, Snap-On etc. If they are in good shape, used is fine.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I still lean towards Craftman. Like you, that was the stuff my Dad got me when I went out on my own. But, yes, the prices are up.

Kobalt is good. I feel no need to be brand specific for everything. I like Stanley screwdrivers, just about anyone's hammer, Craftsman sockets and wrenches, but I have some Kobalt sockets and wrenches too. Rigid from Home Depot is fine.

For power tools, I have a corded Craftsman drill that my Dad gave me 25 years ago that I have abused and it is still going strong. I prefer Milwaukee cordless (no money savings there).

For a basic circular saw that will get the job done, Skil has good ones for even $50. I am particularly impressed with a Black and Decker 5" random orbital sander I have. the first one worked for over 10 years of SEVERE abuse doing everything from woodworking to auto body work. I now have my second- $29.95 at Walmart.
    The old saying " You get what you pay for!" Really does apply to hand tools and power tools. My dad paid over $5000 for his craftsman tools and cabinet. Now he's in his 80's he has past them down to me and some of his grand kids. I would always pay the higher price. Good tools that are taken care of should last a couple lifetimes. Moms passes down jewelry, dad passes down tools, and BBQ recipes!

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Yeah I lean toward Craftsman for hand tools as well. Wait for a sale and you'll make out like a bandit too! I've never had a problem exchanging a broken one for new under warranty. I wouldn't buy any newer Craftsman item that runs on electricity though. They just don't make em like they used to. I like the pawn shop idea or Craigslist if you can find Craftsman power tools that are at least 25 years old, they will probably outlive you. As far as Craftsman's current pricing, I guess it just keeps going up like everything else in the world. I prefer to stick with what I know, even if it costs me a few extra bucks.

Most of my newer power tools are Ridgid. They have a "lifetime service agreement" which entails a few more hoops to jump through when something breaks, but it's still free. Battery exchange is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. The tools themselves can take one hell of a beating, and unless they decide to cheese out like Craftsman did on power stuff, I'm sold for life.

I won't touch a thing from Harbor Freight. Every single thing I've ever bought there has failed miserably. The latest mishap was when I bought one of their appliance dollies. The thing let go of a washer and I'm lucky it didn't kill me. I wrote a scathing review about it on their site which they promptly deleted. Speaks to the type of company they really are. Screw them. Never again.

So bottom line, My opinion: Hand tools - Craftsman, Power tools - Ridgid.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well, talk about timing...The mail lady just left a flyer from Lowes in the mailbox and there's a BUNCH of Kobalt tools on sale at dirt cheap prices.
    Definitely worth the trip to save some bucks on decent hand tools.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Masterforce at menard is good quality for the price. Also don't forget to look at dealnews.com or slickdeals for sales.

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    Check slickdeals.net for craftsman tools at a deal. The usually post a deal on a tool set that's over 1/2 off and they'll usually list a coupon to bring it down even farther. However, I've heard that the new craftsman tools made in china are not as good and are basically the same as the harbor freight ones.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    lowes has kobalt tool kits on sale for chrismas gifts right now. I just bought each of my sons one for $39.95 each that were like 60 piece in a hard carrying case. I been buying kobalt for the last few years because craftsman has gotten more expensive and have yet to have a problem with them. I use my tools pretty much daily also.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For the past 50 year one thing has held true: Do not buy any Sears product unless it is on sale. Craftsman products have always been high through out most of the year. You should find excellent buys on Craftsman tools this time of year.

Rymo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    Whiteland
    I am very tool specific. I use knipex pliers and cutters. Craftsman screwdrivers, dewalt power tools, and older craftsman wrenches and sockets. The only thing I've ever liked from kobalt are their ratchets, some sockets and their Allen key sets. If you have never used knipex I would highly recommend them especially when working with pipe and cable as I do everyday. Just realize when you are buying new craftsman tools the quality is pretty bad compared to 30 years ago when my dad bought all of his. Also stay away from kobalt hand tools and especially their tongue and groove pliers unless you are trying to tear stuff up.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Craftsman is about as cheap as it gets any more. In quality and in price. Compare their older USA stuff to their new Chinese stuff.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I know nothing about tools, but i just bought a craftsman rolling cabinet. During the hunt I learned not all boxes carry the lifetime warranty anymore. Tools may or may not have the diffrent lines but it's worth checking.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I know nothing about tools, but i just bought a craftsman rolling cabinet. During the hunt I learned not all boxes carry the lifetime warranty anymore. Tools may or may not have the diffrent lines but it's worth checking.

For the craftsman price point on tool boxes, I don't think anything out there compares with US General boxes at Harbor Freight. Even car magazines and forums praise the Harbor Freight boxes. About the only complaints I found were shipping damage so if you want to buy one, open the crate before you leave. I bought the 42" on Black Friday for $350 and the side locker for $200. Anything craftsman at that price doesn't compare.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For the craftsman price point on tool boxes, I don't think anything out there compares with US General boxes at Harbor Freight. Even car magazines and forums praise the Harbor Freight boxes. About the only complaints I found were shipping damage so if you want to buy one, open the crate before you leave. I bought the 42" on Black Friday for $350 and the side locker for $200. Anything craftsman at that price doesn't compare.

I found one that was discontinued due to color. Normal price was 1189 and I bought it for 650. It seams like I did well and it's a good box but only time will tell.

Top Bottom