• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Man, how I hate them...I've got a cracked molar in the back of my mouth, and every once in a while I bite down on something just the right way and BAM...pain for hours.

Someone with a .17HMR...I need to do a little precision shooting, right above the gum line....can you help me out?

Home rememdies, anyone? I'm leery of painkillers, and Oragel helps a bit...but until I can afford to get the bastard pulled, the best I can come up with is holding some mouthwash over it and having a few mixed drinks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I've actually got some 600mg Ibuprofens that I keep handy...but I try not to take them unless I absolutely have to. They do strange things to my stomach, and tend to make me a bit lightheaded if I do anything physical after taking them.

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    Crush some asprin and rub the powder on the gums. Then try to pack as much into the crack as you can. It may taste nasty but has helped me even when oralgel wouldn't.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I've heard bad stuff about the crushed aspirin thing. Might not be a good idea.
    I'd get to the dentist and see if he'd let you pay off the extraction over a few months. That would be way better than having to deal with tooth pain. Cracked teeth can lead to infection in your jawbone and that can kill ya. I'd get it taken out even if I had to go into debt to do it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Spend the money and go to a dentist. Trust me, this is the only real solution. Eventually you're going to crack it bad enough that it gets demolished then you'll be looking at oral surgery to remove it. Have a dentist deal with it while the issue is still relatively small.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Call around dentists for the cheapest price for a simple extraction. Then ask for a payment plan and/or deferred payment.

A toothache can wreak havoc with all aspects of your life!

And, if it's already cracked, then there's a small chance that it could crack further, down into the pulp, and end up with an infection / abcess. You do NOT want that to happen.

-J-

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Nothing worse than a toothache :xmad: Until the nerve dies, or the tooth is pulled will you get relief. Infection could spread like wild fire in your mouth effecting your gums and teeth. Rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide (don't swallow) and get it pulled ASAP.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Man, how I hate them...I've got a cracked molar in the back of my mouth, and every once in a while I bite down on something just the right way and BAM...pain for hours.

Someone with a .17HMR...I need to do a little precision shooting, right above the gum line....can you help me out?

Home rememdies, anyone? I'm leery of painkillers, and Oragel helps a bit...but until I can afford to get the bastard pulled, the best I can come up with is holding some mouthwash over it and having a few mixed drinks.

The dentistry school at IU.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've actually got some 600mg Ibuprofens that I keep handy...but I try not to take them unless I absolutely have to. They do strange things to my stomach, and tend to make me a bit lightheaded if I do anything physical after taking them.

Don't use those and alcohol, there's been a lot of cases of permenant liver damage and death associated with the combination of tylenol and alcohol.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The dentistry school at IU.

That got repped!

Don't use those and alcohol, there's been a lot of cases of permenant liver damage and death associated with the combination of tylenol and alcohol.

True. Tylenol alone is a NASTY overdose. However, ibuprofen (motrin) is not acetaminophen (tylenol).

Ibuprofen does nasty things to kidneys more so than livers. Taken per label directions, however, both are usually OK. I agree about not combining with alcohol, though, and contacting the IU School of Dentistry. We used to recommend them in the ER as well.

IU School of Dentistry - Patient Services

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    That got repped!

True. Tylenol alone is a NASTY overdose. However, ibuprofen (motrin) is not acetaminophen (tylenol).

Ibuprofen does nasty things to kidneys more so than livers. Taken per label directions, however, both are usually OK. I agree about not combining with alcohol, though, and contacting the IU School of Dentistry. We used to recommend them in the ER as well.

IU School of Dentistry - Patient Services

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks for keeping an eye over my shoulder on that one:D

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Come on...you can do it... ;)

vicegrip.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Come on...you can do it... ;)

vicegrip.jpg

Man....I've considered it. Guess I just need to man up and get it pulled....I just hate doctors and dentists....its nothing personal, I just get all nervous and sweaty around hospitals and doctor's offices. I'm one of those people that won't go in until I'm absolutely convinced that if I don't, I'll die.

Top Bottom