• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    When hunting I commonly use: two half hitches, taut-line knot, a modified[STRIKE] log [/STRIKE]timber hitch knot and a square knot.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I have a few of these card/booklets. About the size of a playing, so perfect to stash in a car and all your bags.

Robot Check

That being said I do not practice knots like I should.

EDIT: I don't know why the link shows as "Robot Check", it should take you to the Amazon page I copied the URL from

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a few of these card/booklets. About the size of a playing, so perfect to stash in a car and all your bags.

Robot Check

That being said I do not practice knots like I should.

EDIT: I don't know why the link shows as "Robot Check", it should take you to the Amazon page I copied the URL from

:rolleyes: Ordered one for the grandson, one for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My twin nephews are professional rock climbers. It fun watching them tie knots because they're so good at doing it. There's no thinking about it, pondering, hesitation, or experimentation. They just tie them, make sure they're tied correctly, and move on. Practice is a good thing (even though it's cheating).

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    Bowline, Marline Hitch run each direction, and half hitching are the knots I use outdoors and for pulling big wire in the electrical trade. The best knots are the ones that always work and untie easily.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good to see the BSA represented in this thread. Any scout worth his salt ought to be able to tie a bowline (one handed), a taught line hitch, and a square knot.

Seems like those are the three knots that stick in the head (might be because those are the three knots you use over and over).

Since scouting, I have learned exactly one knot and that is the trucker's hitch. It is super useful.

Edited to add: I totally forgot about another knot that I learned in college. It is a specialty knot for tying super fancy fishing line to hooks, lures, etc: Palomar Knot.

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    My Dad grew up on a hillside farm in Northern Norway and had to join the commercial whaling and fishing fleet at 14 to support his family. That said, he knew knots and I learned what was useful growing up. But it is a perishable skill and I keep a length of cord and a piece of dowel by my computer to do a knot or two once in a while, just to stay fresh.

I agree the bowline, tucker's hitch, square are your base. Just learn these 3 and add clove hitch, bowline on a bight, etc. little by little. Soon you will feel pretty competent. There is something special about being able to secure a load, tie off a line on a boat, etc. well and quickly that just marks you as a competent person.

Top Bottom