• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA

Several followers have told me that when they share information from MCS with their wives they often hear the complaint that most of it is good for men, but what about the women.
    As a husband and father of two girls, personal protection for women is very important to me. We teach AAA, Awareness, Avoidance, and Aggression. The thing that I like most about the first two As is that they are mostly mental, draw little to no attention to yourself, and if done habitually will help you avoid 99% of the scenarios where Aggression would be necessary. The other issue is that many times women are not alone. They have the kids with them, so being aware and avoiding any potentially dangerous situation is even more vital. So, without further ado, here are the top personal protection habits for women.

1- Trust your intuition- in my experience, women have much better intuition than men because they are naturally more often the victim of unprovoked attacks. Unfortunately, they also are more likely to discount these feelings because of not wanting to appear rude. Save that for people you know. When it comes to strangers, error on the side of survival and trust your instincts.

2- Back your vehicle in or pull through whenever possible- many assaults and abductions take place around vehicles. When your vehicle is pulled nose in, it is too easy to make the habit of just opening the door and getting in. When you are backed in, you are forced to turn around once you have approached the car and this gives you another chance to check your surroundings. Also, if you have car trouble, it is much easier to get a jump start and you will be facing forward if you need to wait for assistance.

3- Be the last in and the first out of any door- whether it is the door to your office or the door to the parking garage, be the courteous one and let everyone go before you and leave before they do. Never let anyone get between you and the door.

4- Stay off your phone in open areas- there are only really three types of areas; vehicles, structures, and open places. In vehicle and structures you can secure yourself or at least put your back against the wall as you get lost in your phone. This is not possible in open areas. A good rule of thumb is to stay off your phone unless you have something you can lean against.

5- Putting the kids in the vehicle- develop a way of doing things and stick to it. For many Moms deploying to Wal Mart with the clan mean lots of car seat and seat belt buckling. When possible, park close to other cars but leave space all the way around if possible. This way if you are distracted while loading the kids, it is harder for someone to sneak up on you. Enlist the help of the older kids to keep an eye out for danger and you deal with the little ones. Tell them to let you know if anyone approaches the vehicle. If space will allow, lock yourself in while getting the kids buckled in. Don’t be in the back of an unsecured vehicle with the engine running. It is too easy for someone to jump in the driver’s seat and take off.

6- Be wary of anyone trying to stop your movement- This may come in the form of someone asking for money or simply just blocking your path. Red flags should pop up. Get in the habit of saying “no thank you” without stopping. A great way to practice this is walking past kiosks at the mall.

7- Don’t be afraid to scream- noise of any kind is the best way to get attention. Shocking statements like “fire” and “leave me alone” are best.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Of course, but the request was what would be my top tips for women. Tactics are not gender specific.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    #1: Don't date or marry violent a-holes. Nothing at all wrong with the advise up top but women are much more likely to be assaulted or killed by a domestic partner.

Also. .. don't carry your purse in a "grab me please" positiOn and only use drive up ATMs.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    #1: Don't date or marry violent a-holes. Nothing at all wrong with the advise up top but women are much more likely to be assaulted or killed by a domestic partner.

y

Spoken like someone who has worked a lot of domestics. I worked the 7 p to 3 a shift. A SWAG would say fully half the complaints I worked were domestic violence calls.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Spoken like someone who has worked a lot of domestics. I worked the 7 p to 3 a shift. A SWAG would say fully half the complaints I worked were domestic violence calls.

In how many cases does the woman assault the man? In how many cases is it a same-sex couple? Just curious.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    #1: Don't date or marry violent a-holes. Nothing at all wrong with the advise up top but women are much more likely to be assaulted or killed by a domestic partner...

...and never go back after the first blow. He hits you once then get the heck out because if you hang around he will hit you again. I am always amazed at these punching bags that go back time and again... because he said he loves me and promised to never do it again.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    In how many cases does the woman assault the man? In how many cases is it a same-sex couple? Just curious.

Quick response because I don't want to derail George's thread. These are not stats just my experience. There were times when the women assaulted the man, but probably less than 10% of what I saw. I never worked a same sex domestic assault case in 3 years of full time on that shift, but that was 20 years ago and not in a "progressive" area.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I'll concur with CedarTop. I don't have hard numbers, but its definitely the minority to have the man be the victim. Usually when it was, it was with a knife or thrown object of some type and a small flesh wound. Same sex couples, I can only think of a hand full over the years, and all but one were male/male couples. The only female/female "domestic" I can recall was one ruining a painting of the other, no actual physical fight.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'll concur with CedarTop. I don't have hard numbers, but its definitely the minority to have the man be the victim. ...

... and have the guts to admit it/call on it.

From the OP, #5 is pretty significant I think - huge task fixation problem getting the young-uns in/out of the vehicle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I believe that the male victim in domestic abuse is a lot less common based on what actually gets reported to the police. I also believe that it's a prime example of under reported crimes because very few men are willing to admit a woman hurt them physically in an altercation, especially when it's their wife or girlfriend. We'll never know about most of it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe that the male victim in domestic abuse is a lot less common based on what actually gets reported to the police. I also believe that it's a prime example of under reported crimes because very few men are willing to admit a woman hurt them physically in an altercation, especially when it's their wife or girlfriend. We'll never know about most of it.

Certainly possible. A lot of women never report it, either, though. Sometimes you find out through 3rd parties and she shows signs of abuse but still won't say what happened.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If I may add a tip in:

When at the mall / store parking lot, don't be afraid to 'be conspicuous'. Ya have kids, it's 'okay' to be a bit louder, more 'flamboyant' (whatever that means) when getting the kids in and out of the SHV (that's "suburban housewife vehicle", LOL!). Even if it's just the lady and her 'bff' going out to destroy (wives call that 'shopping'!) hubbies paycheck. Laugh, chuckle, keep 'little Johnny from running off', say, "Beautiful morning!" or "Horrible weather!" to the passerby. Whatever is appropriate for the moment.

Drawing 'attention' to yourself (selves) gets others in the area to 'notice' your presence. If the scumbag has any nefarious intent, this calls attention to him / them, as well. This diminishes the opportunity of some low-life sneaking up from behind. The passerby may notice said scumbag before you do.

Even if the friendly passerby doesn't intercede, at least someone else is aware of your situation worsening and may dial 911 or shout out to look behind you or, at least, note a description of the scumbag(s) and/or your vehicle description and license plate if something goes wrong.

Don't need to be 'dancing in the streets'. But being 'openly jovial' and making oneself 'known' draws 'extra eyes' in your direction. After all, using mercops excellent tips already has others scanning / scoping the area on the lookout for 'problems', anyway.

Helping you while they're helping themselves (and vice versa!) is good for all law-abiding citizens. It's 'us against them', good guys vs. bad guys. Let the bad guys know they're always outnumbered, and help (in whatever form) is always 'right at hand'.

You're not 'alone' out there, even if you're by yourself. So, don't 'be alone' and don't be 'non-descript'. Somewhere out there, you have 'friends' you don't even know you have.

Remember, we're all in this, together.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Certainly possible. A lot of women never report it, either, though. Sometimes you find out through 3rd parties and she shows signs of abuse but still won't say what happened.

A good point, sir.

Which applies to much crime and victims who (for whatever reason) won't report. I get it when they believe they'll be hurt worse or killed if they go to the police, but some others puzzle me. Maybe some people become accustomed to being a victim?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A good point, sir.

Which applies to much crime and victims who (for whatever reason) won't report. I get it when they believe they'll be hurt worse or killed if they go to the police, but some others puzzle me. Maybe some people become accustomed to being a victim?

Domestics are complicated. If Johnny is beating you but also is the sole income provider who keeps your kids fed and living inside it can't be a super easy decision.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Feel free to add anything in that you want. I was just sharing an article I wrote. The important thing to remember is that making habits out of these things will increases your survival habits more than anything you can physically carry.- George

Top Bottom