• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    I have a top break revolver stamped Belgium on left side of barrel, H with a star on top and under that an r with a crown above it on right side of barrel, under barrel stamped 35, under trigger 35, under cylinder and hammer and on trigger 35, on cylinder ELG in a weird symbol inch under that an H with a star above it. No dates, no serial number....great shape, clean, no rust, looks maybe once blued, well oiled, smooth..really cool stock with a thumb rest....help, what do I have? When you measure the cylinder holes, .44 fits

2013-03-05132045_zpse71944c5.jpg Photo by Surferfox7272 | Photobucket

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::dunno:

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Any other markings? Down the barrel on top or sides like patents and such?
    In studying about my Smith and Wesson top breaks I find out there were knock offs back in the day when they had trouble enforcing patents. If you get no luck here try www.smithandwessonforum.com
    Some of the guys there are loony with knowledge about the old S&W revolvers.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I don't know what it is but ill give you $50 for it.

No, serously, it's a nice looking piece. The old top breaks are really cool and way back when a Bo-Gillion different companies made them. You might try they S&W forum the top break freaks are just that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks kind of like this one... Belgian copy of S&W Top Break revolver in 44-40 (grip is a little different, but that's about it)...

Belgian Copy of S&W Top Break for sale (931146985)

pop_wm_1436059.jpg

surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    markings....

I've described every mark I see on this thing....if it is a "copy" probably h&r then, huh? So would it shoot a bullet? Its in such good shape...can't express how comfy this old stock is...I'm still looking all over internet, nothing yet....:dunno:

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Belgium was home to a cottage industry copying sucessful American revolver designs in the 1800s. They are often referred to as "Brevette" revolvers. Most are unmarked, as the manufacturer didn't want to draw attention to the fact that they were not Colt or Smith & Wesson products. They were all black powder types, so don't be mislead into using modern high pressure rounds, regardless of the apparent condition. Interesting collectible, but not a good shooter, IMHO.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    You could probably get away with "cowboy" loads.
    They're marketed for the cowboy action type shooters, but they also keep the pressures way down so if somebody sticks one in an original gun from the 1800s that they found in grandad's sock drawer, they don't blow themselves up.

surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    i must say, all of you guys taking your time to answer my questions.....you're AWESOME :-)
    This is the only place I feel comfortable taking my "blonde" questions. I think I'll take it to local gunsmith, check it out, hopefully fire it at least once, then put on the block......now I'm a short girl with small hands, so this is gonna be interesting. Thank you all

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    You have a S&W knockoff. It can be one of three calibers. .44 American, .44 Russian, or .44WCF/.44-40. I would not shoot anything in it that was not loaded with black powder. A lot of the old guns that you have has turned into hand grenade when shooting smokeless in them.

Take it to the SASS fourm and post pictures and ask your questons as a lot of SASS play with the old type guns. NCOW's also my be able to help you. CAS City is another good place to ask the old break tops. http://www.cascity.com/

Last edited:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Belgian copy of an S&W Frontier top-break revolver, most likely in .44 Russian. As long as the mechanical condition is good as well as the timing being on, should be fireable. I have had a couple, .44 Russian cowboy loads were quite accurate and fun.

surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    Now that cracks me up! I actually know sailor! Lmao...his drawer is huge im sure!!! If this had a price what should it be? The one at gunsamerica has it at $549. Is that accurate?

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have an original S&W top break which is almost identical to your revolver. As bigkahunasix stated, it is probably chambered for .44 Russian, which is a casing slightly shorter than a modern .44 Magnum. Check to see if the cylinder indexes corrrectly when you cock the hammer back. There should be no lateral play (or you should not be able to twist the cylinder back and forth with light to moderate pressure). If the cylinder lines up, there will be no lead shaving when you fire it. The revolver appears to be in good condition. Black powder loads in .44 Russian should probably work. (I recommend you wear a welding glove on your gun hand for the first firing).
    A check by a gunsmith is good advice.

I shoot one of mine quite regularly. They were a serious self defense weapon in the 1800s.

surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    yeah everything is locking super tight as should. Does yours have the h and r stamp? This thing is just so neat :-) almost don't want to get rid of it. I just posted it for trade for a 9mm. I have a couple dbb's this would look great next to. But again can't b selfish, someone that will appreciate it will come along :-)

Top Bottom