• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Wow, I'm amazed how people will make assumptions and post a bad review on these assumptions. I am the owner of Top Guns. I can assure you that our ammo did not come from Gander. I do not know which store the clerk was referring to, but it was not Top Guns. We got in a shipment that was considerably larger than 30,000 rds and we got it from a small distributor that we had to drive six hours away to pick it up.

I am also amazed at how some people will write a bad review and then not sign their name to it. If you are willing to make an effort to discredit a local business, you should be willing to man up and sign your real name to it. Further, you should get your facts straight. If you'd like to come in and introduce yourself, I will personally show you the invoice where I just purchased those rounds along with several Colt AR-15s. We paid considerably higher for all of this product as it was a smaller distributor and they raised their prices on us. Thus, we have raised our prices to include the price increase on us. It's either that, or have no product. A store must have product to keep the doors open. The laws of supply and demand have dictated that I must pay more and charge more to stay in business. Again, I will show you my invoice, as I have nothing to hide and I'm certainly not ashamed of any of our business practices.

I can only assume that you might be from the shop that actually did this and you are trying to divert attention to us. It speaks poorly of your character. I pride myself on maintaining good business ethics and have built a strong business as a result. As for you saying that we are trying to monopolize the market, I'm not sure how you would come to this conclusion. We have helped three of the local stores and sent business to several of the stores when we were out of an item. I've even called to find product for clients at other shops and sent our clients to the other shops to make purchases if we were unable to supply their needs.

Your statements are reckless and a disservice to our community. Please check your facts prior to making assumptions (assuming you are not with another store and doing this on purpose in an effort to get more business.)

Unlike yourself, I will sign my comments and stand behind my words.

Steve Ellis,
    Owner of Top Guns

Last edited:

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Reputations on INGO are not built as much from business related values like profit, but on integrity, honesty, and straight forwardness. If you get a bad reputation on here, you have generally earned it. The past several posts have very well documented the recent business practices of Top Guns so the allegations of the previous poster in regards to buying up Gander Mt ammo to resale seems not only believable but in line with current business philosophy. What I am curious to know is if the previous poster had signed their real name to the post, do you have some Ellis style justice to seek upon them? Anyone local knows what I mean as the Ellis family is one of the first to cast stones at another business practice but cry foul when their own practices are questioned or scrutinized. I know one of the main sales people at Top Guns is a former employee of Gander Mt in the firearms dept so whatever goes on behind the scenes at Top Guns likely does not stay there and in this small community there are few secrets and smoke is often the result of fire.

TopGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Hello Rafterman,
    You clearly do not know me at all. Anyone that knows me, knows that I am well known for my integrity. You will never here me or my employees bad mouth other businesses. They all know that type of practice would not be tolerated. Ellis justice? What planet are you living on? I do not have a vengeful or vindictive bone in my body and even if I did, there would be nothing that I could do about it.

According to the poster above, some shop did buy up this ammo that you are referring to and it was not us. Why are you wasting your efforts on the shop that has not done this instead of looking for who did? Further, you are stating that we have poor business practices according to what others have posted instead of based on your own experiences. Would you not serve yourself better to make your own decisions. There are lots of posters with hidden personalities and hidden agendas on these web sites. It blows my mind how easily people are influenced by others false statements. They are claiming that we have poor practices and we now have proof that at least two of these posters are linked to another local store. Perhaps its the practice of another local store that you should have your efforts focused towards.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

Thanks,
    Steve

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Hello Rafterman,
    You clearly do not know me at all. Anyone that knows me, knows that I am well known for my integrity. You will never here me or my employees bad mouth other businesses. They all know that type of practice would not be tolerated. Ellis justice? What planet are you living on? I do not have a vengeful or vindictive bone in my body and even if I did, there would be nothing that I could do about it.

According to the poster above, some shop did buy up this ammo that you are referring to and it was not us. Why are you wasting your efforts on the shop that has not done this instead of looking for who did? Further, you are stating that we have poor business practices according to what others have posted instead of based on your own experiences. Would you not serve yourself better to make your own decisions. There are lots of posters with hidden personalities and hidden agendas on these web sites. It blows my mind how easily people are influenced by others false statements. They are claiming that we have poor practices and we now have proof that at least two of these posters are linked to another local store. Perhaps its the practice of another local store that you should have your efforts focused towards.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve, you are absolutely correct it could be any other business that did what the poster alleged in regards to buying up the ammo at Gander Mt. As you see, they also only joined INGO very recently and made that their first post, so their integrity is questionable at best. If a business chooses to gouge prices, that's their prerogative and maybe even a business related decision as tough times may be in the future for gun shops and shoring up financially may be necessary. I have been in Top Guns one time and prices were very reasonable and even had several bargain prices on scoped bolt guns (4-5 months ago). I wish you success in the future as no failing business is good for the local economy. Think about the future when pricing, you could make some very loyal customers during the current gun buying panic, or you could be out of business in a year. I'm not in the business, I only remember that before the last AWB similar price increases and questionable business tactics occurred and were long remembered by patrons. These businesses are long gone.

TopGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Rafterman,

Thank you for the response and kind words about our store. We do our best to maintain a 10% mark-up on new firearms that are replaceable. We do mark up accessories, ammo, used guns, etc. a bit more and some new guns that are under $400. This is necessary to maintain the overhead of a brick and mortar store.

We pride ourselves on being as upfront as possible with our clients. We always tell a purchaser that they are paying a premium in this buying environment due to our increased costs and that prices will likely return to normal if the ban does not take place. I also would be willing to share my invoices to prove that we are in fact paying more for this product. For instance, a Colt 6920 M4 usually runs us under $1,000 and we typically charge around $1,100. We just bought our last batch for over $600 more. While this might not be appealing to some, there are others that are happy that a local shop still has these available on the shelf.

As a dealer, we are forced to make a decision. Do we continue to offer them locally so we can supply our clients and risk some of the other stores and/or clients bashing us or do we sell them for considerably more on the internet. We would make far more money by selling all of them on the net, but we choose to make an effort to serve our local patrons as well.

We always make an effort to take the high road and it was hurtful to say the least when I found out that it was another store that is trying to make an effort to destroy our reputation. We will not stoop to that level and you are right, the public will eventually see who is really here to serve them best and who has integrity. The last time we were in business, I sent one of our clients to a competitor for a Christmas gift for their child that I was unable to get. The client came back and said that the other store had bad mouthed us in a very distasteful way. They left their store and chose to find an alternate Christmas gift.

We are about to make some major changes that will be in the best interest of the consumer. I hope you will come and introduce yourself someday, as I would like to hear more of your thoughts. I can't send messages on this site since I'm a new user.

Again, I do appreciate your kind words and willingness to expose both sides of a story.

Thanks,
    Steve

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Steve, I haven't been in the shop recently (i don't have the money to purchase any new guns right now and the store is way too small when there is more then three people in there), but I seen on you are moving to a new location in the plaza, where this going? I went through the plaza and didn't notice any vacant store fronts (though I didn't see if the old gas station had anything in it).

Last edited:

Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    I haven't been in during all this panic buying so I can't speak to what may or may not be going on, but I've been in a number of times previously and have had a positive experience each time. Prices were comparable. Service was friendly/helpful. They'll shoot the **** if they aren't busy helping others. I'd go back based on previous experience and if I weren't happy with the current situation make a decision then.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I have nothing but good things to say of TopGuns. Without fail, I am attended to when I am there. Their prices are in line with stores noted for having good prices. As a result, we have made a couple of purchases there and looking to make more(My Lady would like a 92fs INOX-not the Taurus-hello...? Steve....?). I look forward to you growing the store and the subsequent increase in your stock of firearms.

Welcome to INGO...

TopGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Response

Thanks again to kind words from everyone. Yes, we are about to expand. We will have to make a few adjustments on businesses in the strip to make room. I have the martial arts place next to me. As much as I hate to relocate it again, it seems necessary for both businesses to grow. Thanks again to everyone for the positive posts. I look forward to meeting any of you if you should choose to introduce yourself when in the shop. Thanks again all.

Steve

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Steve,

You should really give consideration to becoming a paying advertiser on this site. I think it could do more for you than Hoosier Topics. Much larger base here.

TopGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I will look into it. Truth is that I'm not very sharp with website stuff. I actually do not have anything to do with the advertising on any sites. I have another guy that handles Hoosier topics. Ill have him look into this site as well. Thanks for the advice!

dmg45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Clay County
    I made a purchase last week in Top Guns. I can't say enough about how I was treated. Myself and my son both purchased Glock 19's at a very reasonable price. I was also looking into a threaded barrel 22lr to use with a supressor. They showed me every threaded 22lr they had in stock and advised me as to which can would be a good value and dependable. They were very busy but never left me standing until they had answered all my questions and finished all the paperwork for my purchase. I will continue to do business with any store like Top Gun that will spend the time as they did and sell for a reasonable price. Just my 2 cents worth!

D.R.C 2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    I bought the last 2 windham AR15'S the last 4 pmags and several hundred rounds of 223 off of top guns the weekend of the major scare. They DID NOT mark these items up even though they most definetly could have. In the future Top guns has my business.

D.R.C 2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm welcome to ingo?
    I understand your suspicion Clay, and as you have answered a question in a thread I started a few minutes ago I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not a total jerk. My name is Don Chambers and I can assure you I am in no way affiliated with Top Guns and they more then likely would not even recognize me as I have only been in the store twice. If you still have doubts I am sure we will meet at the riley c.c. sooner or later. And I will have at least 2 forms of I.D to present to you.
    Man I love this site already!:ar15::ar15:

Top Bottom