• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Friday evening I was joking with a freind on line, that lives close to me about a tornado watch. A few minutes later though the joke was on me. A streight Wind blew our chimney off and into our master bedroom knocking the ceiling in and allowing the very heavy rains in. Another peice of the chimney smashed our deck outside the bedroom.

NO ONE was hurt as we went to our basement shelter when we felt the house shaking and the wind pick up.

Our insurance will take care of this financially The animals are ok, and we will be alright.

Amid this I was getting ready to take my son to church camp North of Chicago, so I took Him.

I drove through the night and a second round of storms to drop my son off at Church camp, and returned during the day today.

My Wife stayed with my sister over night and took care of the farmers marlet Saturday morning.

When I got home I tarped the hole so the rains we are supposed to get tommarow morning won't be in my bedroom.

All in all a good experience. YES a good experience. We dealt with everything as a team should and everything went out decent and in order without strife.

God's hedge of protection isn't aloways what we expect, But I thank GOD for keeping my family safe thruough this.

On a side note I don;t think I will be joking about weather warnings anymore. DOH!

And BTW no goats flew. LOL

IMGA9573.jpg

IMGA9571.jpg

IMGA9568.jpg

IMGA9579.jpg

IMGA9587.jpg

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Could have been much worse, but that's no minor hole! Hopefully the insurance folks won't give you much trouble so you can get that fixed up!

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Wow, glad you and your's are safe. Seems like you all kept on task and got done what needed done. Good job and good luck with getting repaired. Even with out a Tornado, front line gusts can be very dangerous, often with little warning.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Glad your ok man! I was watchin the storm out the back patio and noticed a small tree skimming across the top of the lake thats in the backyard, thats when I decided its a good time to take shelter!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Glad you are OK!!! Friday night sucked. First we saw the warning on the weather site on our computer, then the sirens went off, then we started hearing that tornados were on the ground all around us. I'm not actually sure ANY touched down, I think folks were just freaked. The girls at Cathy's day care called (she runs an evening shift until 11:30P) and told Cathy they were in a closet with the kids. We waited till the front passed, then drove through the rain to check on them.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    dang man! glad no body was hurt! thank goodness for home owners insurance...even tho insurance will cover it I know how this sort of thing throws a wrench in everything,that major ice storm we had last winter did a bunch of damage to my property including a big arse tree limb crashing through our roof. mother nature can be a beotch.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Update: on Tuesday a contractor came and with my limited help removed the chimney from our roof, and tarped over the roof and screwwed boards to secure the tarp in place.
    The insurance adjuster is due on friday morning and hopefully bu next week this time some or all of our repairs will either be completed or at the very least started. We have done extensive cleanup after taking pictures and itemized a list of all damaged items with value links attached. I burned the list and pictures to a CD for the adjuster. He sounded grateful when I told him what we'd done all ready.

I plan a thread later on surviving the insurance and cleanup of natural idsasters. Just to share the wisdom gained from this experience. Also relating how our plans and preperations faired in all this.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'm glad that there were no injuries and that the damage will be covered by your insurance. Seems God was looking out for you all that night.

Thanks for your planned posting. Any of us might someday need it as a guide to what to expect.

Blessings,
    Bill

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    The Mrs here checkng in. The appraiser came out Friday morning and we are still waiting on the appraisal of the damage so we can get a contractor out here. We already have someone in mind. The entire roof is going to have to be replaced. In the meantime, we are sleeping on the couch (me) and on the floor (Mr.) in the livingroom.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Quick Update

A contractor came out at the request of our LOCAL insurance agent. We removed the chimney from the roof, and covered the hole properly. So on that front we're ok.

The adjuster came out and said there is damage all over the entire roof surface and will need replaced, the deck and the bedroom trusses and support will need replaced.

The actual getting to it and the numbers game has just begun though.

I keep a very watchful eye on the storms.

We've moved our chuildren around and took one of their rooms so we all have beds and although a mess everything is starting to work out.

I still plan on a surviving the storm post but it looks like this is going to take awhile.

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    Still waiting on the apraiser to do his paper work so the approval can go through so we can get stuff done. We are no further along than we were 10 days ago.

And, I am getting angry over it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Still waiting on the apraiser to do his paper work so the approval can go through so we can get stuff done. We are no further along than we were 10 days ago.

And, I am getting angry over it.

Don't blame you, the process can be very frustrating. Call as often as needed.

Top Bottom