• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yep, I think the reception would have been much different if the tone of the response had been "hey, have you thought of seeing what type of admin positions are open in your area and then doing some training in that area". Heck, didn't even have to specify one OS over the other or anything like that. There are tons of job sites that you can look at for trends, or recruiters you can talk to that will let you know what is currently hot and hiring. That's good for getting a job right away that you can have to make ends meet while you search for a position you really want, or if you want to switch up what you do and are okay with that. For someone who really likes being a Linux admin and doesn't want to do anything else, that's the only role they're going to want. I was very lucky that when I moved from 16 years of IT support to InfoSec, I actually enjoyed my new role as much or more than I had enjoyed IT support. It's hard to work a job you don't like.
    Yea I used to be in the MSP space. But quite frankly I got tired of fixing printers and dealing with end users whinny about stupid things for $20 an hour. Back in 2014 I decided to lean into being a Linux admin and never looked back. So much nicer in the Linux pool than it was in the windows pool....also it pays better lol.

Also for the record I started out only looking for remote Linux jobs. Then as time went on opened it up to Linux/windows then as time went on uneven applied to some win admin jobs then as time went on I was applying for any admin role remote or in the area.

Luckily, I landed a role that's remote so that's nice I still get to work from home.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yea I used to be in the MSP space. But quite frankly I got tired of fixing printers and dealing with end users whinny about stupid things for $20 an hour. Back in 2014 I decided to lean into being a Linux admin and never looked back. So much nicer in the Linux pool than it was in the windows pool....also it pays better lol.

Also for the record I started out only looking for remote Linux jobs. Then as time went on opened it up to Linux/windows then as time went on uneven applied to some win admin jobs then as time went on I was applying for any admin role remote or in the area.

Luckily, I landed a role that's remote so that's nice I still get to work from home.

I don't know what I'd do if I had to go back into an office. For my line of work it just doesn't make sense. I'm too old to deal with that BS... ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know what I'd do if I had to go back into an office. For my line of work it just doesn't make sense. I'm too old to deal with that BS... ;)
    I (and just about everyone I work with) hate that we have to go in to the office 2 days a week now. I "collaborate" less in the office than I do from home. Most of the "collaboration" I see going on is just shooting the breeze and has little to nothing to do with getting any work done.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Most of the "collaboration" I see going on is just shooting the breeze and has little to nothing to do with getting any work done.
    This is what pisses me off. At my work, people are leaving their post to go to other departments and just hang out and shoot the breeze all the time. And since I'm not one of the ones who does that, I'm "not a team player." No, I don't want to be friends with my co-workers. There isn't one of them that I would be friends with outside of work. I was hired, and am paid to do a job. I try to collaborate on a task, and get snubbed because I don't waste company time to come to your office every hour to just chat and share fishing stories.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is what pisses me off. At my work, people are leaving their post to go to other departments and just hang out and shoot the breeze all the time. And since I'm not one of the ones who does that, I'm "not a team player." No, I don't want to be friends with my co-workers. There isn't one of them that I would be friends with outside of work. I was hired, and am paid to do a job. I try to collaborate on a task, and get snubbed because I don't waste company time to come to your office every hour to just chat and share fishing stories.
    I hear ya. I'm "friendly" with my coworkers and I'm always willing to help them out if they need it, but I'm not one to attend Christmas parties, work picnics or whatnot. I consider some of them as friends, but they're "work friends" - not "hang out away from work" friends.

sea.fellow89

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2023
    fort wayne
    Also I just noticed that silly exchange above....

Lol wow.

Mr sea-world or what ever his name was is way off base. Also he may need to "go touch grass" as the kids say. :D
    Yea it was silly. But that's neck beards for you. Notice how once I actually pointed out the reality of the situation and how they were just arguing against points i didn't even make, they all quit responding.

sea.fellow89

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2023
    fort wayne
    I mean, I did kind of nail it. But all in good fun. Dont worry, ive been mauled by neck beards a time or 12, we all take an L now and then.

Top Bottom