• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I remember when they used to do all that too. You may or may not believe how many people don't know how to check their own oil or that it should be checked between oil changes.

Or properly inflate a tire. But I have seen vehicles with 4 new tires just put on at a tire chain store that none had the same air pressure, with a 20# variation from highest to lowest.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    That is an interesting line of logic.

Gas stations don't have service bays anymore because there is no money in it. Back then cars could be worked on with some general mechanical knowledge, a brain, and without a computer. Not so true today. They make their money on the overpriced merchandise that people buy from those stores. One of those items is air from an air compressor.

I am no happier than anyone to have to pay for it, but I respect their right to charge for the services they provide.

There is still one service station operating here and the only reason it will be closing is that the station owner does not own the land it is on. The difference between it and the ones which closed are the ages of the owners and that this one was rebuilt into a larger station with more than just one or two bays. It was more about the age of the owners and them being ready to retire or in at least on case, passing away than not being able to make money as to why the stations closed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    :)

2091807234_830ca9a279.jpg

Dapper little Churchmouse

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Depending on how the law is written, here is what I would offer:

5b262e11-cafd-4db8-a7db-54be979d4973_1.60372ebc02037d36040e3eb0caca3efb.jpeg

or

car-bike-foot-air-pump-tyre-inflator-medium_642cad199788a8bd507ae43e759338e0.jpg

Free air with built in pressure gauges.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I miss the free air at Swifty here in town. Oh well... I'm trying to use that as an excuse to my wife to buy an air compressor... no luck so far.
    Air compressors do more than fill tires. After I showed my wife how to "sweep" the garage and patio with an air nozzle she totally loves the air compressor. Makes sweeping a breeze plus get the corners and hard-to-reach places. Even the cobwebs in the ceiling corners blow away with minimal effort.

Just some ammo for your argument.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont mind paying for air. I have a compressor that I COULD carry in the trunk. I choose not to. I have to pay for that consequence.

And my Kia likes to throw the TPS light on for no reason when I drive more than 100 miles on the highway. So I get to find them regularly in case I actually have to put air in. (Typically its a false alarm, and Kia wont fix because it never throws a code to prove its coming on and me snapping a pic of it isnt good enough)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Thank God Indiana isn't like this!

Of course, you can't buy cold beer at a convenience or drug store....or buy any kind of package alcohol on Sunday. But, by Yiminy, we can pay for air!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    While we are on the topic, I believe it is time to declare entertainment as a basic human right. We could then socialize sports teams, movie and TV production, music, theater and the arts. There is no reason why entertainers should continue to get rich off the rest of us when we deserve their products. Add purple if needed, but it seems fair that if they are going to keep promoting it then they shouldn't be immune to it.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Wow the service stations, I say service stations not gas stations. All have underground air lines that run from a large floor standing compressor inside the shop to a hose outside with a air chuck on it outside. I know its hard to comprehend. So I say just outlaw the stand alone air machines.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Why outlaw any of it? :dunno: Let the market take care of itself.

I've got a compressor at home on the farm. I carry a spare & a can of fix-a-flat in the vehicles as a last resort. I've had to buy air before, yes it's expensive for what it is. I've also needed air when I didn't have any cash or coins on me. In that case I drove to the station I normally get my gas from. They have a pay air pump. I went inside and told them my problem. The lady gave me a 4 quarters and said "don't worry about it, see you tomorrow." I filled my tire, went home. The next day I stopped back and filled my tank, then took her $2 as a thank you.

(I might have mentioned this a time or two. Customer service matters.) I've been going to that station for a long time. I will continue to go there. In the winter they are a little more expensive on their kerosene that the other stations around, I still go there.

There is no need for the government, local or otherwise to get involved in something like this. This town council sounds like a group of busy bodies that have taken it upon themselves to decide what "the greater good" is for everyone. Looks like they are a bit full of themselves and their self-importance.

k1z13p.jpg

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Kinda sounds like slavery to me, forcing people to do things out of the goodness of their hearts. Insert purple.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We were in the Keys a few months ago and on the way back to the Miami airport a sensor on the dash told me we had a tire low so I dutifully plunked $1 worth of quarters into the machine and topped off the offending tire. When I went into the convenience store to ask for a receipt the cashier refunded the dollar because it was too much trouble to print a receipt!:faint:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Crap. When I remember things as a kid that you remember as a kid (getting air in my bike tires free) what does that mean?

I had to ride 7 miles to get there though

Top Bottom