Town people, city folk, inbred undesirables, etc..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Will someone explain "In town" people to me.(Backstory*, bought a home on an acre and a half that is the last one in town limits. It's a small sub 200 people town and this is the first time I've lived in town in decades) As the weather warms, I keep incountering odd people. Here's two cases. 1. You see me outside and introduce yourself by asking to borrow pretty much everything I own. Seriously happened, I wouldn't loan my john deere, auger, tiller, or tools to most of my family, let alone someone who just happens to live by my property line. 2. Random guy starts coming and looking at the vehicle in your driveway "Because he'd like to have one like it and thought it might be for sale". Well, if it was for sale, It would probably have a for sale sign, now get the hell off my land. Shrek said it best , "Get outta my swamp!!"

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have a garage that I dont like to open, but every once in a while it has to be opened. A couple people have stopped to ask if they could look at the car inside. The answer is no, its not for sale. Pretty simple. I have neighbors but we arent close, i have their numbers in my phone. I dont loan out my tools but one time i watched a guy who has a tiny piece of property next to me attempt to cut down a tree. His walmart saw broke on him. I offered to cut it down, did so, then bucked the wood for him to split or get rid of how he pleased, he said thanks and that was that.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Will someone explain "In town" people to me.(Backstory*, bought a home on an acre and a half that is the last one in town limits. It's a small sub 200 people town and this is the first time I've lived in town in decades) As the weather warms, I keep incountering odd people. Here's two cases. 1. You see me outside and introduce yourself by asking to borrow pretty much everything I own. Seriously happened, I wouldn't loan my john deere, auger, tiller, or tools to most of my family, let alone someone who just happens to live by my property line. 2. Random guy starts coming and looking at the vehicle in your driveway "Because he'd like to have one like it and thought it might be for sale". Well, if it was for sale, It would probably have a for sale sign, now get the hell off my land. Shrek said it best , "Get outta my swamp!!"
    Here in the country there is a lot of sharing and helping each other out doesn't happen all the time but when needed it happens. For example my father he's older now and he has drove school bus for around 35 years. A man that he hauled approximately 30 years ago comes over when there is a lot of snow and he takes his snow plow and does his drive for him.

Next door neighbor of mine about 1/4 mile north of me drives over the road. His wife had nothing to defend herself and he was worried about her. He asked if we could loan her a shotgun for self-defense while he was gone until he bought one himself for her. That was 2 years ago they still have it but not a big deal if we need it we know where it's at.

It's a rural area and people tend to help each other.

Now on trucks and tractors there is a lot of drool. I drool over a neighbors 1963 Chevy 4x4. He has redone the entire truck looks amazing. I ask all the time when he is going to sell it to me in which he replies never. I then reply good so you are gifting it to me ;)

Might want to try to be neighborly it will go farther.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    You are not going to do well my friend. Nope.
    It's definitely going to be an adventure. I think once people realize how I am, they'll keep their distance. The property has some sentimental value to me, so I'm going to try to make it work. My grandfather built the house and ran his seed corn buisness out of the shop in the late 1960's and early 1970's . I seen my chance to buy it and keep it in the family. My last place was on 5 acres and my one neighbor and I had a great relationship. I welded some stuff for him every once in awhile, let his horses graze on my back 2 arces. Good man, but we kept our distance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good for you and no. People are gonna people so just get used to it. You will find some peace after a while but I find it strange that boundary's are less of a thing than they used to be. Good luck....:)

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    It's definitely going to be an adventure. I think once people realize how I am, they'll keep their distance. The property has some sentimental value to me, so I'm going to try to make it work. My grandfather built the house and ran his seed corn buisness out of the shop in the late 1960's and early 1970's . I seen my chance to buy it and keep it in the family.
    Just dont be too for lack of a better word "kooky" and standoffish. Otherwise you may find yourself the target of teens looking to get into trouble by sneaking onto the property of the "crazy guy".

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have found walking around the yard in my boxers drinking a beer cuts down on unwanted visits.
    That not unheard-of around here. I seen my neighbor about a half mile up the road as I was driving by. He had his boxers on his John deere hat cowboy boots and a beer in one hand and dehydrating with the other.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    That not unheard-of around here. I seen my neighbor about a half mile up the road as I was driving by. He had his boxers on his John deere hat cowboy boots and a beer in one hand and dehydrating with the other.
    Sounds about right. When you want to send a message, might as well go all out.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Are you sure you weren't near our house? I have seen similar shenanigans on my trail cams in the yard.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I could write a manifesto of examples with the neighbors that bookend my home/business mini-compound, combined with the folks who think my property is an extension of a public park that sits two shathole properties away. I'll limit it to the north neighbor borrowing ONCE my Simplicity lawn tractor to cut his weeds (not much discernible grass growing) and returning said tractor covered in dust (I clean my stuff after each use) and dogshat caked in the tires. He WAS considerate enough not to leave it outdoors and parked it in my garage for me in said condition. Then there's the south neighbor who still hints that the former owner here always mowed his yard for him and allowed him ingress/egress from his property through my parking lot, since his driveway is "too hard" to get in and out of. That all ended 16 years ago when I took over. He finally financed a Lowes riding mower in John Deere colors, which I have yet to see in operation this year after mowing my property three times already......

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Love our new home here in Indiana in a little bitty town, I guess no more than 200 people. We came from a town about 2500 in Illinois and this is soo much better in many ways. Last fall I was changing out ball joints on my F-150 and having a time with the old ones. My neighbor was going by and stopped, when he found out I was trying to beat the tie rod ends out he went home and brought back a pickle fork. Some of them keep to themselves which is fine the rest are friendly. That is how I like things friendly without getting into other people's business. Jim.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wife and I tried living in town for awhile after having lived out "in the country" for forever. After dealing with in town neighbors we both agreed that the best way to avoid prison time was to make a run for it. Now we're outside of town, still have neighbors nearby but we all speak the same language and respect each other knowing they don't live in town for the same reason we don't live in town.

Good luck!

Top Bottom