• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    TrackingPoint Going Under - Shooting Sports Retailer

I guess when your company's only product is a $10k rifle, even if it guarantees hits on a moving target at 1k yds., it's not enough to stay a going concern. At least they've given inspiration to Linux/gun hackers the world over. It's only a matter of time before more such weapon systems hit the market at significantly lower price points.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hey now, they dropped their price to only $7500 back in October.

Still, I never really saw much application for these things outside of a military or law enforcement application and I don't know if the the scopes were really rugged enough for that. Looks like the market agreed.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Hey now, they dropped their price to only $7500 back in October.

Still, I never really saw much application for these things outside of a military or law enforcement application and I don't know if the the scopes were really rugged enough for that. Looks like the market agreed.
    They were probably hoping to get a lucrative government contract when the weapon was in development, and one never materialized. Hell, if you can get a pentagon contract you can produce almost nothing for years and laugh all the way to the bank. At least these guys brought something to market. No shame in a legitimate attempt.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    They were probably hoping to get a lucrative government contract when the weapon was in development, and one never materialized. Hell, if you can get a pentagon contract you can produce almost nothing for years and laugh all the way to the bank. At least these guys brought something to market. No shame in a legitimate attempt.

No shame at all. I think the technology isn't quite there yet for what they are trying to do. Give it a few more years and they'll be able to build the same set up, smaller, cheaper, and with a longer battery life. It's tough being on the bleeding edge, sometimes you can ride it to glory, other times you get cut down.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No shame at all. I think the technology isn't quite there yet for what they are trying to do. Give it a few more years and they'll be able to build the same set up, smaller, cheaper, and with a longer battery life. It's tough being on the bleeding edge, sometimes you can ride it to glory, other times you get cut down.

Amen to that. My company spent hundreds of thousands to develop a handheld service/billing program 7+ years ago. This was pre-Iphone, and crackberry and pocketPC/Palm ruled the world for handheld computing. Our system was awesome. It worked like a charm... UNTIL you actually tried to scale it to work with our customer base. Even after special coding to make it only pull 1 week's worth of customer visits for that single tech into the handheld PCs, they still choked and died and crashed the handheld. The project was eventually scrapped.

I am confident that if we tried the exact same thing today, we would have been successful because the only problem we had was the devices just couldnt hold all the data we needed them to. (causing crashes) It really sucks being ahead of your time.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I stopped at their booth during the NRA show in Indy a couple of years ago. They were demoing their rifles (dry fire) and I was the only one there so I played with one for quite a while. I asked the guy how much they ran and when he said 13K I heard 13 and thought he meant $1300.00 and thought "I can swing that." When I realized he was saying $13,000.00, I slowly walked away.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I stopped at their booth during the NRA show in Indy a couple of years ago. They were demoing their rifles (dry fire) and I was the only one there so I played with one for quite a while. I asked the guy how much they ran and when he said 13K I heard 13 and thought he meant $1300.00 and thought "I can swing that." When I realized he was saying $13,000.00, I slowly walked away.

I probably would have dropped the rifle.

I still want one............one that works of course.

Top Bottom