• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you can, it's better to sale to a private party. Same with buying a car. Rather if you sell or trade. That shop is still sitting on a gun. I have not done much trading, but I have seen my Dad do a bunch. For example, a while back when I sold my Xd. The shop I have done a lot of business with only wanted to give me $400. I'm in there a lot and know he is not selling many Xd's. So, I was not mad, I understand from a business aspect. I was able to sale it to a member for what I wanted $500. He was happy and I had the money to get the gun I really wanted. If a shop gives you what they plan on selling it for. Well, then they are not going to make money. There are some jack ***** that will try and screw you. That's why I stick to certain shops.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Trade ins

I dont trade to Gunshops anymore. I have been lowballed so often it isnt funny as well as witnessing some of the offers made to others. The last time was a dealer in lafayette. He offered such a low price and I got so mad I walked out and will NEVER return to that shop. he will lose any business I would have given him, and also gained a lot of bad publicity, because I tell everyone I know NOT to shop there . I dont begrudge a business making a profit but when they are sticking it to people at every turn ,thats when I have a problem with them.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What are your opinions on selling it through consignment at some of these shops. I know a few of them charge a reasonable 10% which would be a lot better then losing all that money off the top end. I have in fact bought a few fireArms off individuals who have taken their firearm to resell to a local gun store only to find out the shop either isn't interested or there offer is too low. I call it the parking lot swap.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Here's my thoughts; let's say a gun shop sells a new glock 19 for $495. Consider the shop makes $75-100 bucks on that sale. As with all new things, when you walk out of the store that gun loses some value. Let's say you go home and put fifty rounds through it. Now it is gently used. You take it back to gun shop to trade in and get offered $275. Now the dealer likely bought it new for $375-395. Why would he offer anything close to what he originally paid for it brand new?

I am not one to sell or trade a gun once I get it, but fully have the expectation of getting a lot less than what I paid for it if I take it to any shop.

One can always find a nice USED firearm in the INGO classified at or above new price :) lol

TheGunDen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    a majority of gunshops would not be open very long if not for used gun trade ins and purchases for re-sell! Margin$ on new guns are very small, not enough to carry most small stores!

This is very true, I make all my money from used guns because there are no profits from new guns. And people needing money will sell anything to pay a bill. I have been in there shoes a couple of times. When you need the money you will go low on a price to get the money today.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    What is this talk of trading in a gun????? Selling a gun????? That is like sharing your wife!!!! Ain't doing it!!!!!!!! :):

Some of us caint afford to just buy all the gun we want or need. Most of us have to trade and sell existing guns to be able to get that new gun that caught our eye that we just can not live without. And on top of that I think it is silly to keep all those guns that you never use locked away just because you have a cabinet that will hold 9,000 guns and your not happy untill it's full. That's like firearm abuse or something.

I personally don't care to have any that I just don't or won't use. I would rather stock pile ammo for a few guns than stock pile a Ton of guns, that you caint carry if something were to go down. I'm just saying I don't think you should knock us peasants who realistically have to trade up to get the guns that we are after.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I wanted to trade a 700 with SS 10x scope for a G3 clone at a dealer. He said "No, we won't be able to sell it because it's a 22-250". Guy beside me at the counter immediately handed me $700 and told the dealer "Your loss".:):
    The G3 was $500.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Last time I went into gander mt. i was offered $400 for an ar15 which i then sold for $750 2 weeks later. I also bought a colt officers ACP from gander and paid $850 but I saw they only gave the guy $500 for it on the trade.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I was always upfront with people who were trying to sell guns and always advised them to try to sell them on their own first. I told be straight out I would allow 50% of what I expected to sell the gun for if my cash was walking out the front door, and I would allow 80% in trade. I sent a lot of folks to the pawnshops (most never redeemed the guns tho they were given less than I offered)

Most gun store owner don't have unlimited pockets. When that $225 walks out the door that is a bill that I can't pay till I sell something. Field King had it right, I was very happy whenever I made more than 10 points on a new gun, accessories were a bit better.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I've bought & sold all kinds of "toys" over the years. My wife and I were antique dealers for 5+ years and I've dealt in classic cars and old gas station stuff for 10 years. Guns are my newest passion but when you boil it down buying & selling is still the same no matter what the item. I've found it goes something like this:

1. If you want to move something quickly with as little effort as possible you go to the dealer (gun, antique, car). The advantage is that you get cash on the spot with a minimal amount of effort. The disadvantage is that you sacrifice on price.

2. If you have a little more time you can sell an item thru consignment with a dealer or auctioneer. You will likely get a higher price but will still owe the seller a commission or a cut. The advantage is that you will probably make a bit more. The disadvantage is that you will wait longer for your money and the risk is a bit higher.

3. If you can wait the final option is to sell the item yourself. The advantage is that you control the sale and the price. The disadvantage is that you will wait and there is a greater risk of not finding a buyer or ultimately accepting a lower price.

I've been on both sides of the coin. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. What I dislike the most is the guy who sells by whatever means he/she chooses then grips after the sale. Bottom line, the choice is ours to make.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Some of us caint afford to just buy all the gun we want or need. Most of us have to trade and sell existing guns to be able to get that new gun that caught our eye that we just can not live without. And on top of that I think it is silly to keep all those guns that you never use locked away just because you have a cabinet that will hold 9,000 guns and your not happy untill it's full. That's like firearm abuse or something.

I personally don't care to have any that I just don't or won't use. I would rather stock pile ammo for a few guns than stock pile a Ton of guns, that you caint carry if something were to go down. I'm just saying I don't think you should knock us peasants who realistically have to trade up to get the guns that we are after.

Dang gone. You sure made some assumptions about me with my post. I shoot all of my guns. I have regretted most I traded so quit trading and buy what I want when I can afford it. Otherwise I pass.

Good for you on what it is that makes you happy. Just cause that is your way doesn't make it a good way or right way for me.

Peasants???? Knock you???? Man I will just figure it was a bad day for you or something. Reread my post and notice the smiling face behind the last sentence. You label yourself as a peasant, me, I am nobodies peasant. I work two jobs off of my farm and raise cattle and hogs. I earn my money too. Ride your high horse over some day, when you get down off of your high horse maybe we can enjoy some shooting of guns and BS. Until then, have as good a day as you can.

bumpy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    trading strategy

The most important thing to know when selling and buying is the real price extremes of the item in question. If you are trying to sell to a dealer, demonstrate that you know the wholesale and retail value of your goods. Also, determine to walk away if you are not treated fairly. Any good dealer knows human nature, so if you are willing to be stupid, he will not stop you, and it's not his responsibility to do so. Being stupid is a freedom we value as a free people, but it is not profitable. I have found there is always a better deal coming along, so it's not hard to walk away from a marginal deal. At the same time, if you establish a reputation as a real knowledgeable buyer, you will be treated with respect. In my trades, I allow the dealer to make about 25% of his reasonable resale price expectation. That means I lose sometimes, but I expect the dealer to sell to me at low retail next time we deal. Also, stay with premium condition guns. Poor quality is hard to sell, and is always in good supply.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I dont blame the shops on this one. I blame the tards who take food off their families tables to buy guns that they know they cant afford so next week when its time to grocery shop they have to take it back to the shop and sell it then think they will get $10 under what they paid for it. stupid people should expect stupid prizes!

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I dont blame the shops on this one. I blame the tards who take food off their families tables to buy guns that they know they cant afford so next week when its time to grocery shop they have to take it back to the shop and sell it then think they will get $10 under what they paid for it. stupid people should expect stupid prizes!

Amen! This is true for so many things. I love to get good deals on things like the next guy. As a collector and shooter when people I know ask me if I will buy there guns because they need money I tell them and show them what they are worth. I tell them then how much they are worth to me. Sometimes they are mad at you for a while sometimes they extremely excited. Bottom line is I am not in love with the idea of getting the next gun Im in love with the idea of getting a smoking deal on the next gun. Dealers, have no shame in what you do. The perspective clients are screwing themselves if they are not responsable enough to look out for their own best interest.:twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    there is a lot to take in when a dealer is looking at a gun as trade in or even cash buy for resale. Here is how i do it.

1. what is it and will it move in my area of market of sale ( I have turned down trades because they don't sell in the shop like a Browning A5)
    2. here is what blue book shows at this % of condition and ill show you this % for trade. (if it books at 80% ill show 60% value for trade and some times buy
    3. Is this gun on sale buy my whole sale distributor and how much is it for refurbished by factory/LE trade in. (yes some guns like G22 w/NS are available to dealers for a low price because they were traded in for new ones)

I don't hide the blue book values when we discuss trade and yes if you can sell it out right to some one for what I will sell it then more power to you but some people don't want to wait when there is a decent deal in front of them on what they are looking for.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    IF GUN SHOPS DON'T MAKE A PROFIT, WE WONT HAVE ANY GUN SHOPS. THEN THE LIBERALS WILL HAVE WON!!!

A Men more important line of thought who will do your transfer when buying on line or who will order the next new thing when it comes out...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Mmm... sometimes I think people are crazy what they'll take for a gun just because the gunshop told them that was the value.

I walked into a pretty good deal on some guns at my gunshop once. He is just a small guy, works from a small walled-off portion of his barn, and doesn't carry much inventory (no new inventory at all really). It doesn't really both him much. I was in there one time and he didn't want to take a guys guns on trade, or buy them, but said he'd put them on consignment for him. I overheard the values he gave him as good prices for them, and one of them (an SKS missing a couple parts) seemed pretty low. I asked if I could go ahead and buy on the spot. The dealer said, if it's ok with him, I haven't taken it on consignment yet so step outside the door and hand the man some cash.

Deal was done. ;)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IF GUN SHOPS DON'T MAKE A PROFIT, WE WONT HAVE ANY GUN SHOPS. THEN THE LIBERALS WILL HAVE WON!!!
    My gunshop seems to make a perfectly fine profit with his business model and he doesn't even carry much of anything in stock. Anything you want has to be ordered. How does he do it? Affordable prices.

large gunshops have large overheads and they have to make large markups to cover them.

I think the most valuable thing in my guy's shop are the safes. Talk about low overhead. His markup is only 10% or $50, whichever is less. His transfer fee is $15 for one, or normallly $20 for any number of multiples (his price on multiples depends on his mood, normally he'll just say $20 to do multiples). How does he stay in business at such low profit margins? Economy of scale, and low overhead. All the real firearms enthusiasts know about them, and buy their guns there because they can't get them cheaper anywhere else, and if you can get them cheaper somewhere online or something, you can't beat the transfer fee anywhere else.

I don't think your concern will be too much of a problem. The only gunshops that are going to go out of business are the ones that are charging too much markup etc because they won't get much business. They're taking the wrong business approach.

Top Bottom