• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I recently put out a few trail cameras, and now am considering a card reader, rather than replacing cards. I am looking for recommendations as well as "stay away" warnings, I have seen a few bad reviews of products I thought might be a decent reader, and when pricing ranges from $50-$150 , I would kind of like to know what everyone else uses and how well they work, I am looking for one that will have a secondary card so I can transfer pics and video directly to the card reader and then leave the original card in the camera.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Are you talking about just using an ordinary full sized USB plug (as opposed to a mini USB or micro USB plug) reader that accepts an SD card?
    If so, I'm a bit surprised that you would be expecting to pay as much as $50-$150 for something of that sort.
    If you're looking for what I'm thinking, you shouldn't be paying more than about $10 for the reader itself.

I use the one in this link here several times a week, and it's solid, quick, and reliable...not to mention it's currently going for $2.24 with free shipping - Amazon.com: eForCity SDHC / SD / MMC Memory Card Reader to USB 2.0 Adapter, Smoke: Computers & Accessories

A reasonable 32GB SDHC card should go for ~$25-$35 at most.
    If you want something much bigger along the lines of the SDXC cards that go clear up into the triple digits for capacity, you'll pay much more, but you'd need to establish compatibility with your cameras before you go that route.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I just take a fist full of SD cards and swap them out, read them with my laptop when I get back to the truck. I like cheap and easy. I figure if you're going to visit the camera anyway, it's not that hard to swap SD's.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Cheap tablet that has an SD or micro SD slot? Carry tablet with you and transfer pics from card to tablet memory while in the field...

You can probably find something in the same price range you're looking at (either super cheapo new, or reputable brand used) and you get additional benefits and uses with the tablet.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've thought about a reader or something along those lines, but for me, its way easier and cheaper to just have extra cards. Walk to the camera, swap cards (and maybe batteries) and walk out. I'm out of the area in 60 seconds or less and then I come home and plug the cards into my laptop to browse them. Just seems too easy than to spend more money on a reader device when im probably going to come home and file good pictures on my laptop anyway.

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Cheap tablet that has an SD or micro SD slot? Carry tablet with you and transfer pics from card to tablet memory while in the field...

You can probably find something in the same price range you're looking at (either super cheapo new, or reputable brand used) and you get additional benefits and uses with the tablet.

This is exactly what I do. Tablet, even a cheap one, gives more options and way better controls than the dedicated trail cam photo viewers I've seen and used.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I don't like to spend much time around my cameras. The more time you spend around them, the more you disturb the area. I carry extra s/d cards with me and just swap the cards and get out of the area. Check pictures back at the truck or back home. Some of my cameras I just drive my tractor right up to them to make the change. Deer are used to farm machinery being around in the fall.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I swap cards also. Plug them into the laptop, save the ones I want and delete the rest. Ready to go the next time around.

Top Bottom