• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I recently had a trail camera stolen from private property. I want to replace it with one that will send me a text/email when set off. I would also prefer to have one with GPS so I know where it is, if it gets moved. Does anyone have any experience with these or have one they could recommend? I assume setting a claw trap or something of the sort would be bad? I don't want to kill the guy, but I would not mind a large branch smacking him in the nuts or the face!!

Thanks for your comments.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I recently had a trail camera stolen from private property. I want to replace it with one that will send me a text/email when set off. I would also prefer to have one with GPS so I know where it is, if it gets moved. Does anyone have any experience with these or have one they could recommend? I assume setting a claw trap or something of the sort would be bad? I don't want to kill the guy, but I would not mind a large branch smacking him in the nuts or the face!!

Thanks for your comments.

Does the State sell a Poachers Trapping License???

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I can appreciate how angering it must be to have things like this stolen. The thing is, what if it were just damaged in a storm? I know, I know "It's the principle of the thing!"..

...but it isn't just the principle, or guys wouldn't get so angry about it.

Hunting is supposed to be a FUN thing, and relaxing, so when something like this happens, and continues to happen, it really detracts from most hunter's ability to have a good time with the sport. Amongst only a couple other things, "orange army" poachers on our property have ruined deer hunting for me, so I know what I mean when I say these things.

Long way of getting to my point, but here it is: If a piece of gear you INTEND from the word "go" to LEAVE in the woods for extended periods is so expensive and/or valuable (not necessarily the same thing) to you that losing it would cause this kind of anger, then might you ought to consider NOT leaving it there in the first place. In the case of trail cams, this logic would manifest in buying either none, or buying cheaper ones.

Or hiding them better. Seriously. I've seen them in the woods, and promptly "reduced their functionality", but it's easy because the way most of the hunter Dan types set them up is such that they look like a thumb freshly mashed by a brass hammer. That Mossycrap TimberBLack only looks good on a store shelf guys...

..remember that the next time you set two cameras to find the SOB that took the first one.

I am aware my point of view is probably not popular, and probably not what you want to hear, but maybe think about it?

-Nate

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I can appreciate how angering it must be to have things like this stolen. The thing is, what if it were just damaged in a storm? I know, I know "It's the principle of the thing!"..

...but it isn't just the principle, or guys wouldn't get so angry about it.

Hunting is supposed to be a FUN thing, and relaxing, so when something like this happens, and continues to happen, it really detracts from most hunter's ability to have a good time with the sport. Amongst only a couple other things, "orange army" poachers on our property have ruined deer hunting for me, so I know what I mean when I say these things.

Long way of getting to my point, but here it is: If a piece of gear you INTEND from the word "go" to LEAVE in the woods for extended periods is so expensive and/or valuable (not necessarily the same thing) to you that losing it would cause this kind of anger, then might you ought to consider NOT leaving it there in the first place. In the case of trail cams, this logic would manifest in buying either none, or buying cheaper ones.

Or hiding them better. Seriously. I've seen them in the woods, and promptly "reduced their functionality", but it's easy because the way most of the hunter Dan types set them up is such that they look like a thumb freshly mashed by a brass hammer. That Mossycrap TimberBLack only looks good on a store shelf guys...

..remember that the next time you set two cameras to find the SOB that took the first one.

I am aware my point of view is probably not popular, and probably not what you want to hear, but maybe think about it?

-Nate

So, did you have a specific trail camera to recommend, or did you just want to let me know what not to do? I wasn't asking how to keep a trail cam from being stolen. I wanted to see if anyone out there had any tips or recommendations on a cellular alert trail camera. The purpose of this post was not to slam people for stealing. Some people do it, others don't. They will eventually get what's coming to them. That is just the way of the world. I just wanted a review of something. Maybe I am in the wrong section. I am new here, so I most likely don't know any better.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't mean any harm or ill will by that reply.

I don't think that anyone took any ill from your original post. I think Natdscotts post was just pointing out that the world is full of scumbags. Nothing you can do will 100% insure that your trail cam will not be stolen again. Stolen trailcams are a common thread every fall.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No, you're probably right. I didn't ACTUALLY answer your question at all, so your response is probably valid. I just wanted to put that out there for public consumption, as I've seen this topic come up countless times on many forums.

I also wanted to point out that if a guy knows much at all about deception and camouflage, that a camera stealer CAN be caught. Just depends on how vindictive you want to be.

I am no expert, but the cameras that send feed to an email address or a cell phone seem...uh..."useful" for certain purposes.

-Nate

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    No, you're probably right. I didn't ACTUALLY answer your question at all, so your response is probably valid. I just wanted to put that out there for public consumption, as I've seen this topic come up countless times on many forums.

I also wanted to point out that if a guy knows much at all about deception and camouflage, that a camera stealer CAN be caught. Just depends on how vindictive you want to be.

I am no expert, but the cameras that send feed to an email address or a cell phone seem...uh..."useful" for certain purposes.

-Nate

I have a junker cam that I could use for bait, but I really want to get a metal box, cable, and strap my new camera to the SAME tree, and make them have to cut down that tree if they want to take it again.

The guy had to be in a hurry last time, because he cut the straps and left them right there at the tree. I did not even have it locked or anything. He could have just pulled the strap and it would have came off. I never even thought that there would be an issue with theft. We have had cameras up all over the farm. I decided to put one a little further back on a big deer scrape. I figure someone was out walking or on a 4 wheeler, noticed they were on camera, and made the decision to take it. I probably know who took it, or at least what property they came from. I would rather not fight evil with evil.

Some of those cameras I have seen can even be activated via an app so you can press a button to see what is out there before you head out to your stand/blind. But, those all seem to cost in the $300+ range. Not sure if spending that much to feel better about replacing a $50 camera is the best route. But who am I to tell me how to spend my own money?!?!?! That's what my wife is for!

Top Bottom