• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This year I decided to get a buddy of mine a tomahawk for Christmas, we never discuss what we want with each other so I usually just get everybody something that I think could be useful. The stock Cold Steel Trail Hawk is just too boring for me so I had to do something about it.

I sanded the wood down so I could give it a little stain. Bead blasted all the black paint off the head then took some oil and a red scratch pad to shine it up a tad. I knew I had to try my hand at leather making so I set off to make a sheath. I think it turned out pretty good and I'm pretty jealus myself!
    Edit: head was also loose when it came so I removed the set screw and had to file down the head where it was digging into the handle. Fits much better now.

Boring....

Head blasted and sheath in process.

Done for now, I may darken the stain. I wiped some oil on the leather to give it a cool look.

I'm proud of it and I hope he likes it. I'm going to have to buy another one for myself now!

Jon

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks guys. I'm already planning more. Was a very fun weekend project. Certainly beats laying on the couch watching tv and with winter here I can see knocking more of these out.

Jon

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I would love to have that myself. It is nice and handy with that blade cover.

In fact, can you make me a blade cover for my Trail Hawk?

Last edited:

LSUFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Bloomington
    I like what you did to your Trail Hawk...I did something similar to mine. I really like the cover/sheath. Do you plan to make more...to sell? If so and the price is reasonable, I'd like one.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have also done some mods to the cold steel hawks. Although I havent made any sheaths for mine yet. That one looks great.

If you havent already gotten the cold steel riflemans hawk, I recomend it. That thing is a beast its a bit more of an axe than a hawk but its fun.

What did you do to the sheath to acheive that finish?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My buddy really liked his gift, in fact I don't think it left his hand after he got it. I am planning on making more, I am currently making one for Warthog above. I need to gather some more supplies and tools before I make more. If you're interested send me a PM please. For the sheath finish I just used some 3 in 1 household oil.

Jon

Top Bottom