• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    Looking for a training class locally, (Indy) that teaches advanced training. Nothing extensive but, I'm already aware of gun safety, loading, unloading, malfunction clearing, etc. I just want to hone my skills. Improve trigger control, tighten up my groups stuff like that. Anyone know of such a class? I inquired at BG Firearms, all they offer is basic safety class.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What is your definition of advanced? I don't see many "advanced" classes in Indy. Ernest Langdon is teaching a class there this fall but could probably better be described as intermediate. Most schools will require/request that you have had previous training from a recognized school to attend their advanced classes. This is a safety as well as learning issue. I will be attending three "advanced" class in June. Rangemaster Advanced Instructor in Memphis, Rangemaster Advanced Pistol in Nappanee, and Mike Pannone Advanced pistol in Ann Arbor. I don't know if any of those meet your requirements or not, and clearly they are not in Indy. I would think Jackson will be around to address this issue more in depth.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would think Jackson will be around to address this issue more in depth.

I didn't realize I was becomming the designated answerer for the "where should I train" questions. I can think of worse roles to play on the board. :-)

To the of OP:
    What is Advanced?
    Are you interested in pure shooting, improving speed and accuracy? Or are you looking for "advanced" defensive concepts?
    Have you had any formal training?
    Do you compete, and if so, at what and what level?
    If I asked you what the fundamentals of marksmanship were, could you explain them?
    Are you comfortable working from a holster? Is your draw smooth and safe?
    What's your ultimate goal? What do you want your pistol to do for you? There are many who might argue that, if self-defense and personal security was your ultimate goal, focusing on pure shhooting beyone a base skillset could be misplaced effort, as there are many other things to consider. If being fster and more accurate is your only goal, then I'd say this:

When it comes to shooting, there aren't too many "advanced" techniques. There are people who are unaware of the fundamentals, people who are aware but cannot implement them for lack of practice, and those who put in the work. The first group needs education. The second group just needs to implement a consistent practice regimine focused on the right stuff. That's what separates them from the third group.

If pure shooting is your aim (increase in speed aand accuracy, without worrying about "defensive" topics like cover or movement in structures, or vehicles, etc), then you should look to competitors. There are some local options like Coach (Bright Firearms Training), or a bit further south is Max Bedwell (SV40SW45 ; Training with a Grand Master). Some of the comp guys occassionally bring in big name national competitors to give classes, too. Another option might be Todd Green (pistol-training.com) who is bringing his Aim Fast Hit Fast class to Indy in October. [Edit: I determined the italic portion about AFHF in Indy is incorrect. I misread the website on my phone.]

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Most advanced courses will have pre-requisites which often include their own "basic" class. If you are willing to drive a little you can find a lot of good instructors though. I'm not sure how far you are from INGO member Rhino but he offers instruction which seems to be somewhat customizable.

if you are where you say you are though, maybe you just need practice and dry fire? Dry fire is much cheaper than a class....

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I didn't realize I was becomming the designated answerer for the "where should I train" questions. I can think of worse roles to play on the board. :-)

. Another option might be Todd Green (pistol-training.com) who is bringing his Aim Fast Hit Fast class to Indy in October.

Why not? You are interested in helping people out. You ask the right questions, and you fair with your answers. The only weak point is not pushing my classes hard enough.;)

Didn't know Todd was back to teaching. I really enjoyed the first day of his class that I took and learned a lot.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Why not? You are interested in helping people out. You ask the right questions, and you fair with your answers. The only weak point is not pushing my classes hard enough.;)

Didn't know Todd was back to teaching. I really enjoyed the first day of his class that I took and learned a lot.

Upon further investigation, he may not be teaching. It looks like he has no classes scheduled for 2014. I didn't read it and thought the list was current classes. It was actually AARs from 2012: Sorry for the misinformation. pistol-training.com » Classes

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My advice would be to contact ACT or Bright Firearms Training. Individual training with either of these folks will assist with where you are and where you want to go. Both are outside of Indy, but centrally located.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Looking for a training class locally, (Indy) that teaches advanced training. Nothing extensive but, I'm already aware of gun safety, loading, unloading, malfunction clearing, etc. I just want to hone my skills. Improve trigger control, tighten up my groups stuff like that. Anyone know of such a class? I inquired at BG Firearms, all they offer is basic safety class.

For what it's worth, what you mention are basic skills that arise from properly executing fundamental principles. The difference between "basic" and "advanced" isn't what you're learning, but how well you are learning and subsequently implementing the techniques.

You'll have better luck shopping by not getting too invested in "advanced" and instead focus on which skills you wish to develop more fully. That will lead you to more and better options and ultimately better results.

Top Bottom