• In US dollars:

• Total voters

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    It's great that you think that. And I'm happy that you're interested in training with me.

But I really am interested in the (lack of) perceived value of training. New guns have a very high perceived value. There always seems to be money for new guns.

There have been a few times on INGO recently where someone has stated that training is too expensive and that instructors should give classes for free. I see no such calls for guns to be free. Or ammo to be free. Or Aimpoints or Pmags or any other tangible item. Training has a low perceived value for most gun owners.

It's worth noting that the survey is going to be skewed because this is posted in the Tactics and Training section so their at least some interest in training from the people who frequent here.

I don't think it's necessarily related to people not feeling like training is worth it. I think it is more of a hardware vs. software issue. If you can't hold it in your hand and take it home with you, they don't want to pay for it. Especially with the internet, most people feel like knowledge is free, but there is a difference between knowledge and the experience/knowledge you would gain in a class such as yours. BTW, this thread has me really interested in one of your classes. I think I'm going to give a buddy a call tomorrow and see if he wants to sign up for one with me.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I don't think it's necessarily related to people not feeling like training is worth it. I think it is more of a hardware vs. software issue. If you can't hold it in your hand and take it home with you, they don't want to pay for it. Especially with the internet, most people feel like knowledge is free, but there is a difference between knowledge and the experience/knowledge you would gain in a class such as yours. BTW, this thread has me really interested in one of your classes. I think I'm going to give a buddy a call tomorrow and see if he wants to sign up for one with me.
    I think the highlighted statement hit the nail on the head!!! because you cant hold and see it. you can't put training in a box people don't see value in it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This is strictly my opinion, but I think there is a bigger factor than cost. I think ego plays a big role. Most people on this site are men, and we all know that most every guy thinks he can fight, fornicate, and drive with the best of them. It's very hard for some people to accept that in that dire moment they will do anything but whip their pistol out and win the day. When they visualize needing a firearm it's a clear, static situation and they come out the victor. "Guy breaks into my house, I shoot him. Guy approaches me with a knife and demands my wallet, I shoot him. What's so hard about that?" Nobody pictures himself fumbling to get his pistol out of his IWB holster as the bad guy puts a round through his stomach. Nobody pictures someone stepping out from behind a corner with a gun in their face. I have not been in any kind of shootouts but I remember the first few fights I got into with bad guys. It definitely doesn't happen the way you picture it to happen when you're practicing or visualizing the situation. I'm sure it's the same way with a self defense shooting.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I won't say training is too expensive.

The classes I want to take are more than I can afford, but that doesn't mean they are too expensive.

I sacrifice a lot of the things I want to do so my wife can stay home and raise our kids without having to have a job.

That's just how it is.

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    It is not cost I hold classes for free.Most people would rather die than admit thy dont know what they are doing.Ray Duensing

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There are many people whose ego is the problem more than the cost. But there are also a great many people who don't know what they don't know. Several times I have had people want to start in the intermediate course rather than the basic. Then they show up and within 20 minutes say something to the effect that, "I should have been here this morning for the basic class. The answer was yes.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is not cost I hold classes for free.Most people would rather die than admit thy dont know what they are doing.Ray Duensing

I would rather die than do a lot of things. But I'm not so arrogant as to think I know everything. I'm the Baddest Man on the Internet, not in real life. Lol.

Do you have a website with upcoming locations and times, and additional information? Or how do you work that?

Any reviews, etc. as well?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Im good with up to about $200 but my biggest issue is TIME! For me to carve out an ENTIRE day or even 2 days is really tough. I know its an investment and so on and i fully agree. BUT so is my family, job, church, maintenance of my property and home , and all the other things that demand attention.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would pay $200 for a one day class...problem is I don't have $200 to spend considering my other bills I have to pay

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    To Chuddly and Caleb,
    My money is tight as well, and free time is scarce at best. I've been wanting to get to a class with my wife for a year now, and we're only now able to squeeze it in. We have several kids, and the details of scheduling, childcare and drive time are all significant hurdles, but training is worth the hassle. Even if you only set aside $25 a month, you can save up enough for one class a year. I took on odd jobs and extra work to set aside funds for training.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Time and money will always be in short supply. That's why if training is not a priority it will never happen.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    To Chuddly and Caleb,
    My money is tight as well, and free time is scarce at best. I've been wanting to get to a class with my wife for a year now, and we're only now able to squeeze it in. We have several kids, and the details of scheduling, childcare and drive time are all significant hurdles, but training is worth the hassle. Even if you only set aside $25 a month, you can save up enough for one class a year. I took on odd jobs and extra work to set aside funds for training.

I gotta find something to do this winter to make money, I'll be laid off then

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    What no one has answered is IF they train outside of an instructor.

If not, WHY they don't train for merely the cost of ammo and entry to a range?

If money is truly an issue, why not choose this option?

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I consider it "training" if there's an instructor and a course of some kind. I expect to learn something new that I wouldn't have known before.

I consider Range time "practice". I don't often learn new things from myself.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I agree. There is a difference between training and practice.

People often use the word "training" for what is actually "practice".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think for a group class, $50-100 would be about right. And that should include handouts or access to notes and someone who is good at training and interacting with people.

Being a firearm enthusiast and even a top notch shooter is not enough qualification to offer classes that run into multiple hundreds of dollars.

A group class can be dicey. I took a great class this past Spring on Indiana Firearms laws only to it ruined by two students who disrupted the class on multiple occasions bragging about all their knowledge and how Glocks were better than 1911's and all that jazz.

I have not signed up for another group class since then, and I won't unless I get some kind of satisfaction guarantee.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I consider it "training" if there's an instructor and a course of some kind. I expect to learn something new that I wouldn't have known before.

I consider Range time "practice". I don't often learn new things from myself.

I agree. There is a difference between training and practice.

People often use the word "training" for what is actually "practice".

Ahh this brings back memories of a classic INGO thread from 2008. :D

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/4964-training_vs_practice.html

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The Problem for me is the training I desire to take is offered by few places outside of the Government at this point. I like to learn new TTP's for Squad to Platoon Maneuver. Team size activities I feel very confident in my abilities to utilize. Using the equipment, I also feel comfortable doing. But TTP's are an ever evolving thing that I am continually trying to stay caught up with...

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    I just took a NRA basic pistol course for $110. It was honestly a waste other than it being cost-of-doing-business for me to apply for my FL CCW.

I think this is very dependent on many details not given in the original question, and you also have the 'get-what-you-pay-for' factor. Therefore I will vote somewhere in the middle.

Top Bottom