• In US dollars:

• Total voters

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Just think how high quality all the training would be if it were all FREE! Woohoo!

:laugh:

One problem in my opinion is all the "training instructors" that have popped up over the last several years. There seem to be a lot of shooting instructors that hang their shingle on being a police officer for fifteen years or a tour in Iraq. I want someone who can actually teach me rather then someone who can just tell me about their experience and I am supposed to be impressed.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    i belive someone should get at least 40-50 an hour,trainee provides ammo or doesn't complain about what they pay if the instructor(s) provide it for them. They are providing the land,targets,etc and heres a tip... their time is worth money!! Cory and Erika at https://rangetimets.com/classes-rates/range-rates seem to have decent prices on their site without listing a bunch of numbers on here. No i haven't been, people always want something for nothing but like Robert Kiyosaki says(author of Rich dad poor dad) the worst advice is free advice!!!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    One problem in my opinion is all the "training instructors" that have popped up over the last several years. There seem to be a lot of shooting instructors that hang their shingle on being a police officer for fifteen years or a tour in Iraq. I want someone who can actually teach me rather then someone who can just tell me about their experience and I am supposed to be impressed.

I prefer someone who has "been there and done that". If I'm learning something in a "fighting rifle" (or whatever someone wants to call it) class, I would rather be taught by someone who has experience in combat situation than someone who is just parroting theory.

I do agree that being a police officer for fifteen years or serving a tour in Iraq does not automatically qualify one to be an instructor.

A lot of these new training companies (one close to me up here that is new included) are started by cops with no real world experience other than training and they are just parroting what they were taught in classes they've been to.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I prefer someone who has "been there and done that". If I'm learning something in a "fighting rifle" (or whatever someone wants to call it) class, I would rather be taught by someone who has experience in combat situation than someone who is just parroting theory.

I do agree that being a police officer for fifteen years or serving a tour in Iraq does not automatically qualify one to be an instructor.

A lot of these new training companies (one close to me up here that is new included) are started by cops with no real world experience other than training and they are just parroting what they were taught in classes they've been to.

I get the real world experience and agree with you there. Its the guys who think because they were in the army for five years it automatically qualifies them as a "instructor." It is not as easy as it sounds to find someone to teach what you are looking for and get the message across as well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I get the real world experience and agree with you there. Its the guys who think because they were in the army for five years it automatically qualifies them as a "instructor." It is not as easy as it sounds to find someone to teach what you are looking for and get the message across as well.
    Have you had a problem with a "name" instructor or group?

btw. I agree with you in principle.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Some folks want to be taught by former Navy Seals and others prefer a "regular" person whom has dedicated their life to self-defense and is passionate about sharing it. I enjoy both........as long as they are a good teacher. I won't discount an instructor that has no "real world" experience. I also won't cut a break for an instructor simply because of their combat experience claims. Teaching is a skill all it's own.

I just took a class with Armed Dynamics Jeff Bloovman. He is an example of someone without combat experience. But he makes up for it with excellent curriculum and teaching skills. I leaned more from him in 12 hours then I have learned in a long time. I am most interested in training that will correspond with my day to day self-defense plan.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Shooting wearing a military hat or police hat vs a civilian hat can be very different. It is nice to say that it doesn't matter in a SHTF situation but it does matter. I do not want to die nor do i want to spend the next 20 years in jail. Being someones "date" in prison may be a fate worse than death. I agree that how they teach and word of mouth opinions from people I trust are the best advertising. Glitzy ads and medals on the wall do not always translate in the ability to make me a better shooter or decision maker.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Those that can do can not always teach. It's one thing being very knowledgeable about a subject, it's another being able to actually teach it. Training is just one aspect of learning to defend yourself. Rather if it's hand to hand, with a firearm, etc. No one can teach you how you'll actually react when faced with a life and death situation, as no two people are alike. They can give you the tools, and the rest is up to you.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd love to have opened a "training class" and feel confident in my abilities based on life experience, but I am NO teacher! I don't have the patience with others or the ability to stay on a class outline or schedule because my brain thinks constantly of many other things along the way that I need to explain to people who don't have the same real world experiences as I. And I'm no one special I've just been in the wrong places at the right times :)
    I applaud the people who can teach WELL! Even the ones who parrot other training as long as they do it exactly like its meant to be taught.
    Most people have zero training so anything is better than nothing. If you want the skills and mindset of a special operations soldier then join the military and try your hand at even qualifying. You will never be that by taking random classes.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Quick! Everyone vote $0 - ALL TRAINING SHOULD BE FREE!!!

Maybe we can get the trainers to lower their prices!

(purple implied)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Too subjective of a survey to be of value to a researcher.

Identifying exactly what class is to be covered would be a better indicator because it will affect people's response depending on the level of knowledge they feel they already possess. Leaving it open ended, simply allows for them to assume the class in reference is "whatever class they wish to take" should cost, or other various interpretations.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Too subjective of a survey to be of value to a researcher.

Identifying exactly what class is to be covered would be a better indicator because it will affect people's response depending on the level of knowledge they feel they already possess. Leaving it open ended, simply allows for them to assume the class in reference is "whatever class they wish to take" should cost, or other various interpretations.

Perhaps you should construct a proper survey.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I'm not complaining, I just can't afford it in my current situation unless it was substantially less expensive. I also think it isn't over priced now considering the time and effort that goes into the learning that the trainer goes through in order to be good enough to teach. There are also the certifications, all of which take time and money to obtain. So I don't think a lot of the courses I see on here are overpriced at all. I just don't have the money to take them.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I didn't pay a dime for any of my firearms training. In fact, I WAS PAID to take the training. I had to sign 4 years of my life away to Uncle Sam to get it, but I got more than I ever bargained for. Rifles, pistols, high explosives, mortars, anti tank weapons, artillery, grenade launchers, crew served machine guns, night vision, FLIR, claymore mines, improvised explosive devises, ETC.

What is some hot shot range cowboy gonna show me?

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I didn't pay a dime for any of my firearms training. In fact, I WAS PAID to take the training. I had to sign 4 years of my life away to Uncle Sam to get it, but I got more than I ever bargained for. Rifles, pistols, high explosives, mortars, anti tank weapons, artillery, grenade launchers, crew served machine guns, night vision, FLIR, claymore mines, improvised explosive devises, ETC.

What is some hot shot range cowboy gonna show me?

Wow -- what branch and MOS provided you that wide range of experience?

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Marine Corps. All officers get this amount of weapons training at TBS. You don't know what MOS you will get until you graduate unless you have a Law contract or Aviation Contract. Everyone else goes for the "quality spread". If they have 12 openings for tank officers....4 come from the top third, 4 from the middle third, and 4 from the bottom third. You can put in your choices for MOS, but you get what the Corps needs.

Top Bottom