• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    I am active duty military with several certifications / qualifications and multiple shooting schools. I am stationed at Camp Atterbury. I am actively pursuing my instructor’s certification/license from the NRA in order to articulate my accolades into commercial equivalencies but in the meantime I am trying to find a way that I could host or market my skills for pistol marksmanship to interested audiences local to the Indianapolis area. Does anyone already do this? Are there local contracting companies hiring instructors? Is there anyone interested in hosting this same sort of thing that wants to partner the idea? Can anyone provide information on getting something like this started?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Look at some of our Site Advertisers, I believe there are at least 4 different training companies on INGO.

I can tell you personally the main reason I haven't done any formal training is the expense, I know it is a ****-poor excuse, but it is what it is. I'm working on it slowly, but one training session a year right now is about all I can swing!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Does anyone already do this?

Did you read any of the other posts in this section of the forum? There are a number of local trainers, and traveling 'big names' that come through the area. You need only look through the posts below yours for multiple examples of both.

There seems to be a growing market for training. There also seems to be a growing number of local trainers willing to sell their knowledge. I think if you want to be really effective you need to sit down and plan what you want to teach. Get together a set of material and drills you want to present in a specific timeframe and format for each 'class'. Then bring it to market and test it out. The advantage to this kind of business is that the cost of putting on a class for you can be relatively small.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can tell you personally the main reason I haven't done any formal training is the expense, I know it is a ****-poor excuse, but it is what it is. I'm working on it slowly, but one training session a year right now is about all I can swing!

Not to get off-topic here, but have you looked at Appleseed? Two days of basic riflery marksmanship and American history for $75. Practically free!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What is the average cost you have been experiencing? What is the average training time/length?

Here is where a little research on your part would be helpful. I know, asking here is research :). But if you're going to jump in to a marketplace and compete, you should at least do some reading to see what is out there. There are a number of posts describing local courses, formats, lengths, curriculums, and eqipment requirements.

As far as the smaller name local guys go, it seems that courses are offered from half a day to a weekend. Bigger names often have 3 day to week long courses. Costs vary. Some of the local guys are very affordable. I don't want to incorrectly quote any prices here, but a look through the forum will get you the information you are looking for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    The tables and drills are easy. It would be specific to the target audience and grow with experience of the shooter. The hard part is managing cost but still produce quantitaviley sound training without lacking luster and more importantly, not putting out bad information. And the hardest part is location, location, location. I am going to check out the range across from Atterbury to see if it can be reserved for large parties but at the individual level they are very restrictive at the type of shotting i.e. from the draw.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    And I am doing my research this was just a part of it to add to my business plan and I appreciate your time. I will check the forum and make some phone calls to the local contractors.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In all honesty, anyone can pay, take a class, receive a little piece of paper and claim to be an "expert" in firearms. The internet is riddled with these guys. You should market your specific skills rather than seek some form of "civilian credentials" and increase your own credentials through exerience such as competitions. This is much more credible than a piece of paper. On another note, if you really want to set yourself apart from other self-proclaimed experts invest in your knowledge base of firearms and ballistics. Understanding all aspects and the science behind it all combined with the understanding that every person is different and has different taste/body mechanics will make you a much more effective teacher than the majority of other available trainers which largely teach on their own preferences and opinions. You must learn to teach with "intent of use" in mind, meaning that just because you like a 1911 .45 doesn't make it the "best gun out there" and doesn't mean that anyone is going to shoot well with it and so you shouldn't try to pass it off as such. I was actually looking into opening a large scale indoor training facility within the Indy area recently, as there is no really good place to go which does not have annoying restrictions of some kind and being indoor would not restrict you and your clients from attending only a couple months a year.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Take a look at "The gun digest of Combat Hangunnery" 6th edition by Massad Ayoob.....With this book you will see what I mean by an appropriate way to teach. He examines and explains all available schools of thought on a topic as well as the good an bad to both points of view. He does not try to pass off one as fact and ignore the other. He will quickly MENTION his personal opinion but will always identify it as such and so it is not to be taken as the end all of debate. This is a proper teaching style when it comes to firearms and ballistics but unfortunately there are too many people who go pay $250 to get "certified" and then claim to be an expert and they rely on marketing that they are "certified". One I remember, who was not prior military, trying to quickly teach me on proper knife fighting technique and in further conversation it was apparent that the man had never been attacked, let alone been put in a life or death situation....hence "he's a knife fighting expert"...anyway, I hope you see my point through all of the sarcasm. Your personal training, experience, and teaching style are going to be much BETTER credentials and marketing tools than any "certifcation".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    I agree. Weapon systems are weapon systems. There is no such thing as a "bad gun". It is the quality of training I would be looking to provide, training that adds to the dynamics of understanding a gunfight and the proven combat stress related "isms" associated with it such as the loss of dexterity which is why "indexing" is so important...as an example. And thank you for the offer and oppertunity. I hope you can make progress with a range like that, an aggressive friendly range is always good!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    And also, unfortunately, it becomes a licensing problem in the commercial market. My military schools and experience do not translate into insurance friendly terms in regard to articulated "credibility" not just for the right to say "I am an expert" but more so the legal right to PROVE it to the public i.e. licenses/insurance/liabilities etc. etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    And also, unfortunately, it becomes a licensing problem in the commercial market. My military schools and experience do not translate into insurance friendly terms in regard to articulated "credibility" not just for the right to say "I am an expert" but more so the legal right to PROVE it to the public i.e. licenses/insurance/liabilities etc. etc.

PM'd you

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    the1kidd03

I tried to PM back but I need 15 posts....

Anyway, I am trainied and experienced in extensive pistol and rifle marksmanship to include CQC, reflexive and transition shooting. I can train any Soldier to survive a firefight and enter and clear a building (and have done so) and I am confident that I could train any civilian to shoot faster and straighter than any wanna be thug in an alley or on the street, however, personally teaching students to do so within the confines of our legal system i.e. "personal protection outside the home" as offered for instructor training by the NRA is something I would need since that would be a large portion of requested training commercially.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    lol, I didn't realize you need to meet a number for pm's....kind of silly....

along the same lines of training I would like to offer at a facility I'd like to open, although I'd like to offer a wide array of choices that would be the primary focus on real life scenario training

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    although, I'm not sure what you're referencing about legal confines....there are no laws restricting you from teaching people to defend themselves....and in fact IC 35 states that if someone's life is in danger a person is in their right to defend third parties from harm as well as themselves.....simply teaching them how to do it is more of a concern of "leveling" the playing field between victim and criminal .....only thing I can see being an issue is liability for failed curriculum...but that's why you must require a signed liability release

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    legal confines in regard to the stated obligations, restrictions or otherwise for indiana's carry laws. of course i would offer training at ANY level as well. I will train a person as far as they want to go. I just assume the common requested and most marketable would be the basic marksmanship and geared towards self discpipline inherent to a firearm in the home or concealed on the street

Top Bottom