• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    as far as your training is concerned, carry laws don't have an effect that I can see....so long as you're not advocating carrying without a license......you're just teaching skills, you're not selling the firearms...and while certain aspects of some teachings my be considered "unethical" to some on some points that in no way makes it illegal.....in other words, as long as you have students and a place to teach them safely....teach away...you don't need anything else unless you posessed your own facility for training

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Regardless of what any of us want to think, in the event a student is involved in a shooting that, for whatever reason, goes to court, you, as their instructor, can expect a subpeona.

We need to understand that someday we may have to defend our methods is court. It comes with the job.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Regardless of what any of us want to think, in the event a student is involved in a shooting that, for whatever reason, goes to court, you, as their instructor, can expect a subpeona.

We need to understand that someday we may have to defend our methods is court. It comes with the job.

Agreed. That's why it is necessary to include a form of "escalation of force" training in your courses, similar to what police officers must go through. Stress to your students that they must have been presented with a fear for their life situation and/or a assailant with a weapon. If you have given an attacker more than adequate warning of your intent to defend yourself for fear of him, then it was his choice to take the risk and continue his attack. It's the same means by which officers "get by" with using deadly force. As long as there is a threat to their life they may stop it.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    These topics are discussed AT LENGTH in TFT's Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course, including a detailed discussion of relevant statutes and the case law intrepretting those statutes.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Agreed. That's why it is necessary to include a form of "escalation of force" training in your courses, similar to what police officers must go through. Stress to your students that they must have been presented with a fear for their life situation and/or a assailant with a weapon. If you have given an attacker more than adequate warning of your intent to defend yourself for fear of him, then it was his choice to take the risk and continue his attack. It's the same means by which officers "get by" with using deadly force. As long as there is a threat to their life they may stop it.

Well, perhaps...but in reality, if you're not a lawyer, you can be made to look the fool in court either way. I personally think it's enough to inform your students that you are NOT a lawyer, and this ISN'T a legal course, and you're ONLY there to teach them the mechanics of shooting, NOT when to shoot. And that it would be in their best interest to seek out additional training in the law from a qualified instructor.

And you can go the other way and include whatever legal issues you think you're up to the task of presenting.

The real point is that an Instructor of ANYTHING should never misrepresent thier skills, qualifications or knowledge. Teach what you know, and always be honest with your students.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, perhaps...but in reality, if you're not a lawyer, you can be made to look the fool in court either way. I personally think it's enough to inform your students that you are NOT a lawyer, and this ISN'T a legal course, and you're ONLY there to teach them the mechanics of shooting, NOT when to shoot. And that it would be in their best interest to seek out additional training in the law from a qualified instructor.

And you can go the other way and include whatever legal issues you think you're up to the task of presenting.

The real point is that an Instructor of ANYTHING should never misrepresent thier skills, qualifications or knowledge. Teach what you know, and always be honest with your students.

Agreed, but on the same note I would not send them to an instructor for such courses who was NOT an attorney in the state.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    so Guy.....why did Eagle Creek stop allowing high power rifles at their range? been a while since I've been there, obviously..lol

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    ...even if it was Massad Ayoob?

I merely suggested his book for his teaching style in his writings. An attorney's job is to interpret the law(debatable) and so if one does not hold this profession/education to do so he should not be teaching people on issues which could land them in a court room.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    so Guy.....why did Eagle Creek stop allowing high power rifles at their range? been a while since I've been there, obviously..lol

Some bozos thought it was cute to bounce 5.56 rounds off the top of the berm and they ended up in an adjacent housing area. The City raised the berm but nixed centerfire rifle calibers.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I merely suggested his book for his teaching style in his writings. An attorney's job is to interpret the law(debatable) and so if one does not hold this profession/education to do so he should not be teaching people on issues which could land them in a court room.

Teaching anyone about anything could land them in a courtroom.

At some point we have to get things done.

Top Bottom