Training resources for progressing your skillset?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I hate Ben Stoeger but he can shoot. I would place a lot more faith in shooting advice. From him than Steve Anderson.

From what I have heard second hand Steve Anderson is not a good human,being. His match performance is no where close to Ben. No where

I hope Ben doesn't read this, if so he will no doubt be crushed. :( Commenting about Steve Anderson when all you have is second hand info is pretty lame. I think an apology is in order. Also if match performance is how you choose trainers how do you rank?
    :):

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Lasers and such are mostly gimmicks and are not needed. You also don't need a DA gun for good dryfire. On SA, first shot drops the hammer and then use a dead trigger. Or DA, first shot is DA, the rest are working the trigger without it resetting to mimick SA.

This is what typical dryfire looks like for USPSA type of shooting.
    https://youtu.be/-VO2HqNvrqM

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    +1 for romack, you could make gains dry (or is it wet) firing with a squirt gun. You seem young and eager and putting in the work will pay rewards.
    My overall advice is not to chase the new hotness Tanfo or CZ, keep your Glock and get a reloading press. A lot of guys have gone far with less

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I hear ya. I do use dead trigger for multi shot training excercises but I have to disagree about the laser. While I can definitely live without the Mantis, the laser feedback I get on those trigger presses for a mere $40 has given me so much to use to improve my grip.

I can aim at something and pull the trigger all day but now I can aim at something, pull the trigger, and see if I'm on target. See if I pulled left, right, etc and then correct my grip or trigger press accordingly.

Without the feedback I would still be practicing, still be doing what I'm supposed to in training, but I wouldn't know until I hit the range if all that dry fire was ingraining the correct grip and trigger pull techniques.

The gains I've made in grip and trigger control have been more than worth the $40 laser cost. It's like shooting at the range, one shot at a time, with the ability to identify and correct mistakes as I go.

It might only help with the first trigger press though. Since I am not simulating recoil it probably doesn't help as much with the double tap we have to do on USPSA targets but definitely helps with overall form.

Now I just need to practice movement. Thank you for that YouTube link, I saw some movement drills in it and his next video in line was movement based. Looking forward to getting that part of my game down because I get super nervous walking stages at matches. I don't know what order I want to do, what I should hit first, from where, etc. Excited to get movement game down.

Last edited:

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I really do need to get a reloading setup. That part loses me too. Some people recommend a couple items, some say you need like 5+ different pieces of equipment.

I've been saving most of my brass so once I get it I'll be able to start right away. Just gotta put the time into figuring out the minimum equipment needed to start and get the extra stuff later.

I already have a tumbler.

And yes, I am very eager. I am planning to get deep into the sport. I'm trying to find anywhere in the area that does matches and I would like to participate in some major matches this year even if I can manage it

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Speaking of finding matches. Some of the podcasts I listen to (specifically the Make Ready podcast), the guys are saying they're shooting multiple matches A WEEK! I wanna know how I can manage that around here.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Based on a lifetime of experience, everyone always thinks they have good points but all chance of communication dies with snarky.
    snark·y

/ˈsnärkē/ Learn to pronounce

adjectiveINFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN

[COLOR=#878787 !important]

• (of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"[/COLOR]

• cranky; irritable.
        [COLOR=#878787 !important]"Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Dammit, you got me! I will try to do better :):

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    And, if you are gay, and then you get a sex change, and then you start being attracted to ladies, does that make you a lesbian?

I worry about these things.

It really was hot outside today.

This has taken a strange turn. No need to worry. But for the record I am not gay and I'm not going through a sex change. I did own a Subaru and my actions could be taken as lesbian. :ingo:

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I hear ya. I do use dead trigger for multi shot training excercises but I have to disagree about the laser. While I can definitely live without the Mantis, the laser feedback I get on those trigger presses for a mere $40 has given me so much to use to improve my grip.

I can aim at something and pull the trigger all day but now I can aim at something, pull the trigger, and see if I'm on target. See if I pulled left, right, etc and then correct my grip or trigger press accordingly.

Without the feedback I would still be practicing, still be doing what I'm supposed to in training, but I wouldn't know until I hit the range if all that dry fire was ingraining the correct grip and trigger pull techniques.

:): The laser makes it easy to see, but then you are training yourself to look for the laser instead of paying attention to the front sight. You won't have a laser so you need to develop the ability to see where the sight is when the gun is going off (calling your shot). I'm not saying it's completely worthless but it is a distraction. A timer, the gear you shoot a match with, and some dummy rounds in the mags for the right weight is all you need. A dryfire book (I'd recommend Stoeger's) is helpful for some structure and goal times.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    [video=youtube;li0rGtXh23I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0rGtXh23I&t=1s[/video]

I've actually seen this video when out hunting for training vids. I really liked what he had to say!

:): The laser makes it easy to see, but then you are training yourself to look for the laser instead of paying attention to the front sight. You won't have a laser so you need to develop the ability to see where the sight is when the gun is going off (calling your shot). I'm not saying it's completely worthless but it is a distraction. A timer, the gear you shoot a match with, and some dummy rounds in the mags for the right weight is all you need. A dryfire book (I'd recommend Stoeger's) is helpful for some structure and goal times.

Good call. I get ya completely. I think I would have had a tough time understanding what I needed to fix in the beginning but I can definitely see myself ditching the laser at the point I am now and just continuing to refine from here

Top Bottom