• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Having your own place to shoot is a big plus. Much of the things taught in even the better courses is still designed for the square range and student safety ( lawsuit prevention ) and not a combative environment.

Just as an example the scans taught in classes.

You can scan pretty effectively on a square range. You don't have to wave your blaster around to use your eyes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Solely shooting on your own private range can also go the other direction. Not shooting with others around can cause real issues with safe gun handling.

A lot of otherwise very good shooters have been benched or sent home from competitions and classes for muzzle discipline problems that endanger others and themselves.

Incidentally, Trapper Jim is not the first person I've heard mention loading mags with gloves on.
    Better to have options and not use them than to not have them at all, right? :dunno:

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I'd have to give it some thought to find specific training scars, but I have lost a measure of intentionality in my shooting just in general. I used to be very intentional and procedure-oriented in my practice. Deliberately scanning, reloading, moving, or whatever. Now, on the rare occasion that I actually put in some work, I just do whatever. Not always the same thing, either.

Lack of deliberate action may be as much or more a training issue than training scars. In some cases, if you've burned in suboptimal actions, you're still doing something. Sometimes something is better than nothing. Sometimes it isn't.

Good training, Muzzle Awareness, Equipment prep and testing, SA, and motivation are good to improve a CR. (Conditioned Result). When you know what to look for you can find Result Conditioning all around you.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am covered in scars.

The last big one that I know of was in a carbine class. Running fine then I get a jam that doesn't clear thru normal procedures. After I dropped and tried to mortar it I just stopped and proceeded to walk off the course.

I should have finished the run with my pistol, which was on me and ready to go. Jackson ended up doing this, which was the big slap on my forehead because I just stopped playing.

It wasn't a quick fix, so I clammed up. Lack of training, frustration and a defeatist attitude all added a scar for me.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The last class I took with Coach I had a jam that I could not clear. I raised my hand and the range went cold. I had my BUG and should have dropped my primary and engaged the target, but you know range safety and all that. That would not have worked out well in a real life situation. Excuse me, I have a malfunction could we continue this gun fight tomorrow?

I had to disassemble the pistol remove the safety spring and detent and finish the class without a safety. I effectively turned my 1911 into a Glock.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The last class I took with Coach I had a jam that I could not clear. I raised my hand and the range went cold. I had my BUG and should have dropped my primary and engaged the target, but you know range safety and all that. That would not have worked out well in a real life situation. Excuse me, I have a malfunction could we continue this gun fight tomorrow?

I had to disassemble the pistol remove the safety spring and detent and finish the class without a safety. I effectively turned my 1911 into a Glock.

This is one of the best reasons to shoot the games. First rule of a gunfight is to bring stuff that works. If it can't get you thru a friendly match it sure in the heck isn't worth carrying. There are a lot of Death Merchants out there selling the latest in must have gear and it is worth your money to get professional help on what works and what is junk. I see so many shooters tweaking trigger pulls, dancing with the sight of the week, disengaging safeties, using foreign or faulty ammo or components, low cost plastic holsters, wearing $200 Acme gold glasses, cheap magazines with plastic followers, thousands of dollars on useless millwork, ...but bypassed the valuable one on one training available today.

Scars...you bet but there is no beginning or end to being a student of the gun.

Patrick Taylor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2018
    Leitchfield Kentucky
    Solely shooting on your own private range can also go the other direction. Not shooting with others around can cause real issues with safe gun handling.

A lot of otherwise very good shooters have been benched or sent home from competitions and classes for muzzle

Did not suggest "solely" shooting on a private range, only said it can be helpful with some things.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How would you scan your 6 and still keep the threat in your vision with square range rules?

There are a variety of ways and the options increase if "breaking the 180" is allowed if using a reasonably safe muzzle direction. You don't have to turn your entire body 360 degrees to see 360 degrees. One example is to turn 90 deg in one direction and the turning back the opposite way. Easy peasey keeping your muzzle pointed uprange when you do that. It can be a challenge if you're packed on a line with 23 other people, though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom