• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    IF there is enough of a lull for you to be executing pro-active mag changes and "administrative tasks", then you can probably afford to bump up the level of functioning for a bit.

I think "going caveman" is perfectly fine in the heat of the moment - but learning to switch up and start thinking again when the situation dictates it is a vital component to functionaing well under stress.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    So here are the questions I would pose to INGOers--

Are these themes truly opposed or is there middle ground?

Which should be more important when speaking of defensive techniques and tactics-- speed or reliability under stress?

Can a person "train out" the effects of stress? If so, what kind and how much training does it take?

Is "caveman brain" just an excuse to being lazy, inefficient, and not at the top of one's shooting potential?

Is training to the highest level foolhardy and not applicable under stress?

I look forward to hearing your responses. I'll add my own two cents sometime later.

:ingo:

To be honest I haven't read every response in this thread but I am sure most of this has been mentioned or addressed. However, I will throw out my thoughts...

Sure there is middle ground BUT it relates to the overall objective and the training methodologies. While the adrenal state is common to sporting activities it is generally nowhere near the intensity level of a life threatening situation. That being the case, even high level athletes, great performers in a controlled competitive environment can be overwhelmed by adrenaline during a potentially life-threatening event. In short, the training methods must reflect the overall objective.

In regards to speed...this takes care of itself during the adrenal state. Speed itself isn't the determining factor in surviving violence and those without any training generally have little issue moving fast enough, regardless of the skill in question. They tend to have more issues with appropriate targeting, power, accuracy, etc. Therefore proper training with effective skill-sets is far important than speed.

The effects of adrenal stress can be minimized but they can't be eliminated. This stress is an important part of our survival system and when used properly can provide a distinct advantage. That being the case, why would anyone want to eliminate it, even if that was possible? In order to effectively harness and use the adrenal state to our advantage it must be employed in training. The methodologies used will be based on the objectives. If surviving a gun fight against another human being is the objective then the training must simulate that scenario as closely as possible and it must force the student into the desired adrenal state.

The question becomes what is ones shooting potential and what is the objective? Again, if the objective is to survive a gun fight, a knife assault, or some other form of violence and the person is able to do so successfully, have they not reached their potential? Sure they can still improve upon the fundamental skills but will this automatically make them a high level competitive shooter? Absolutely not but if that isn't their objective than does this really matter? It's like comparing apples to oranges.

I wouldn't say that training to a high level of performance is foolhardy but it likely won't better prepare them for specific objectives. The reality is that unless a person has a high risk job or lives in a high risk environment, they most likely won't need even half of the basic fundamental personal safety skills, outside of mind-set and awareness. Even if needed, they will resort to using those skills that are easiest and most efficient under duress, regardless of training (unless that training has been specific to the objective and the skills repeatedly used during the desired adrenal state).

Now all of that being said, it's important to note that we are all different and we all experience and respond to stress differently. What makes one person freeze under stress may make another person excel. There are many people out there are better equipped (physically and mentally) to handle stress than others. It's these people that become exceptional in their fields- athletes, performers, soldiers, etc. These are the people that can employ all types of training methodologies and still excel. So to them the methods and objectives are not near as important...

Steve

Top Bottom