• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Just wanted to let you all know I am in the process of taking the ILEA 40 hour pre basic class so I can walk onto a police department as a reserve officer. I am considering a few agencies and have it narrowed down to a couple of decent choices. I figure that reserves are a good way for me to test the waters of becoming a LEO. Thoughts on good reserve agencies to check out??

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You won't be able to "walk on", you'll still have to go through the hiring process but already having the pre-basic certification will help. Go for some of the agencies that actively use reserves to supplement their patrol officers, avoid the ones that only use reserves for traffic control or special details. I know Speedway, Clermont, and Lawrence all have pretty active reserve officers. If you go for IMPD you will have to go through the full reserve academy.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would offer to train you to be a JBT, but my failure to help Frank achieve greatness has caused me to rethink my abilities.

I'm a loser.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    The agencies on my list are Lawrence, Southport,(they are the ones who referred me to the instructor and told me positions are opening up when I finish), Homecroft, Sheridan and Johnson/Marion Countys as well as Shelbyville. Those are pretty much in order of preference as well. I know a few guys on Lawrence and they heap praise on their reserve division.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    Don't bother with Marion County Sheriff's Office. They may still have reserves, but they ceased to be the real police when the IMPD merge occurred. Lawrence PD would get you into some good stuff. Speedway as well.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Just wanted to let you all know I am in the process of taking the ILEA 40 hour pre basic class so I can walk onto a police department as a reserve officer. I am considering a few agencies and have it narrowed down to a couple of decent choices. I figure that reserves are a good way for me to test the waters of becoming a LEO. Thoughts on good reserve agencies to check out??

I remembered this thread when I was talking to my friend Damon from IMPD today. I understand you did a ride-along with him recently? what did you think? :popcorn:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Don't bother with Marion County Sheriff's Office. They may still have reserves, but they ceased to be the real police when the IMPD merge occurred. Lawrence PD would get you into some good stuff. Speedway as well.

As worthless as a college degree if you don't have a job.
    Also, you have two years from graduation to get hired on or you have to do it again if I recall correctly.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I remembered this thread when I was talking to my friend Damon from IMPD today. I understand you did a ride-along with him recently? what did you think? :popcorn:

East District is definatley interesting. I learned quite a bit from him, including some of the differences between how Metro does things and how a department like Southport would do things. He also went over the accident reporting system that was touched on but not covered in my prebasic. I also was trying to get a feel for how different officers handle different situations, I'm gonna ride with North district this weekend and see how they handle business up there. I'm beginning to lean towards applying for IMPD reserves, seems like pretty good guys on their department and I like the approach IMPD seems to take when dealing with situations. Damon also really knows his knives. Might be having him make one for me this summer.

Fenway, the course is 250 dollars but it can vary depending on who your instructor is. I reccomend Craig Whited, he puts on the class their way and then explains how it can be used on the street very effectively.

Top Bottom