• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    what do you think about being kind of "down range" with bullets flying

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atPyDxt5yRg]YouTube - Combative Application Techniques course at FOP-St. Augustine[/ame]

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Besides some differences in what I would teach, I didn't see anything in the video that bothered me.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Besides the award for the gayest accronym ever, got to go with Shay on this one. Dismissing the differences in technique or tactics they teach, and the goofiness of a few of their drills, I didn't see anything in there I would be uncomfortable with on the range.

Keep in mind, these are probably not drills I'd want to see on day one of the newbies intro to carbines class, but the shooters didn't really look at that level anyway.

covered movement, peels, Aussie peels, counter ambush and vehicle assault drills are pretty specialized. They have a definite place, even if they look a little unorthodox in terms of traditional range safety rules.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I think the main difference between this and what was discussed in the TDI thread is that these weapons are KNOWN to be live, there is no doubt. If put into this situation, in real life, it is very possible that someone would be shooting from your 4-5 o'clock. Let's just hope they have the ability to keep their sights off of you.

Tinman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The TDI thread is closed, so I will decline to continue that discussion here, although I had some thoughts, for another time I guess.

I agree this is a totally different situation. These "down range" drills have been a hot button debate for a while now. I think Hackathorn first kicked it up big time when he started doing his snake drill in level 1 and 2 classes.

Although I disagree with conducting such drills at a low level entry course, there is value in them. Some of that value is stress innoculation, some of that is simply focus for the task at hand. However, these should only be done once the class / student as a whole have proven their ability with proper muzzle control and trigger finger discipline.

Tinman....

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMUarO6Fo6g]YouTube - Iraqi carbine training[/ame]

Tinman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, seen it before.

That one made the rounds a year or so back. Last rumor I heard was the instructor was using blanks, and the class was punking around so he turned up the heat to give them a little stress training.

Special circumstances call for secial training methods, wasn't there, can't say what the goal was here. I know the stuff that goes on in Iraq is pretty fast and furious when it does happen. guess this guy thought it warranted that level of stress innoculation.

I still say, a buttstroke to the insturctors temple early on would have made that drill much easier ;)

Tinman....

Top Bottom