• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woflie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Purchase of firearm from private owner. Original owner says, just take it to the Police station and have it transferred from my name to yours. Says I don't need a bill of sale. I don't know what the process is, but I'm thinking that the local police station may be a place that I might not want to do this. Comments? Hope I have this in the correct forum.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    What do you need to transfer? You are doing a private transaction. The state has no registration of firearms so nothing to transfer.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Original owner gave you bad info. You dont have to transfer anything. Nothing is "in his name" because we aren't required to register firearms. When he bought it they did a background check on him. That's it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Private gun sale.

-You do not NEED a bill of sale. Some want one some don't.
    -You do not NEED to have it transferred. As in at your local FFL dealer/gun store. Unless it's being shipped from another state.
    -You do not NEED to take it to your local police station for anything. Please don't walk your gun into a police station. It might not end well.

Within the state and face to face, just do the deal and go home.
    That easy. :yesway:

What kinda gun are you getting? :):

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    What do you need to transfer? You are doing a private transaction. The state has no registration of firearms so nothing to transfer.

I second ^this^. Unless you're talking about fully-auto, silencers, etc., there is no registration and therefore no transfer. The only way I could see a bill of sale coming into play is if the previous owner had proof of purchase and later tried to come back and say you stole the item.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I've heard this story before and it just ain't true. The Police/Sheriff do not do transfers or registrations. If you don't believe me, go ask them. No legal requirement for such action in Indiana. Also, many gun stores will not do transfers between private sale individuals because they have to run it into their log book, run it out to the new owner, and to do that they also have to complete a background check. Most likely will cost $20-50 for something that is not necessary by law.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This reminds me of a recent thread that ended badly. :)

That one ended poorly because the person was doing a bunch of buying and selling (and not much posting) and out of the blue, seemingly, decided that he now wanted to figure out the process by which to "make sure the gun was in his name". This thread seems much more like someone wanting to understand what/if anything he needs to do, based on some bad info he received.

Indy Str8-Shot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Many years ago, before the federal background check system became law, in Indiana you could go to an FFL and do a firearms transfer between private owners for $10.00 which ran through the In. State Police, but they stopped doing them years ago. You would also get a letter from the IN. state Police after any firearm purchase from an FFL back then. I don’t remember exactly what that was for either, a transfer or what. Anyone else remember this?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Many years ago, before the federal background check system became law, in Indiana you could go to an FFL and do a firearms transfer between private owners for $10.00 which ran through the In. State Police, but they stopped doing them years ago. You would also get a letter from the IN. state Police after any firearm purchase from an FFL back then. I don’t remember exactly what that was for either, a transfer or what. Anyone else remember this?

The first firearm I bought from a store was in 76 or 77. I don't remember getting a letter or anything.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Is that also back when guys were registering guns(voluntarily) at their local LEOs so they were on file in case of theft.
    And some were even etching their Social Security numbers on the guns themselves. Looked like kindergartner scribblings. :xmad:

I remember seeing a couple guns floating around gun shows with dead guys SS numbers on them. Not stolen, just sold. That ****s permanent.

I least modern etching looks better than those chisel marks on ChurchMouses Spears. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is that also back when guys were registering guns(voluntarily) at their local LEOs so they were on file in case of theft.
    And some were even etching their Social Security numbers on the guns themselves. Looked like kindergartner scribblings. :xmad:

I remember seeing a couple guns floating around gun shows with dead guys SS numbers on them. Not stolen, just sold. That ****s permanent.

I least modern etching looks better than those chisel marks on ChurchMouses Spears. :rolleyes:

In CM's day, you only had to scribble in 2 or 3 numbers max, so at least it was minimal marking it up...

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I was referring to the early to mid 90s, surely somebody else remembers it.

I bought my first pistol in 1991 at the 1500 and vaguely remember this. I think it was only for handguns. It was back when there was a seven day waiting period without a LTCH. I remember getting a letter from the State Police and having it with me when I went to Plaifield to pick up the gun. I'm not sure I had to show it or anything. I just remember it said I was ok to pick it up.

Top Bottom