• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    The manufacturer could have registered it as a AR-15 if he wanted, he isn't bound to keep with the origunal model name when converting a gun. My guess is he just picked a name.

I agree that in this specific case the model name does NOT matter. And I also see/agree with your point that the manufacturer can call it whatever they chose.

I disagree with the above statement on a more broader scale though, the reason being the number of rulings BATFE has made in regards to the use of FNC sears :n00b:. They've said very clearly in some of these letters that they're only to be used in FNC type rifles because that's what they were registered (or originally intended) for. I have researched these sears a bit in the past ;).

Similar rulings/letters are around about the use of an HK sear in an UMP or G36, assuming it could be made to work. (I am well aware totally different trigger/bolt mechanisms) Now I realize there is a huge difference btw those sears and the receiver in question here. Just my :twocents:

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Just as was posted in the thread on subguns the answer to your question is only as far away as your phone. Give Doug Oefinger a call and ask him. It might have been a mistake that was supposed to be type 56 or M56 which was the normal Chinese AKM or he may have just decided to use M58 for reasons of his own. In many cases its not possible to get the answer....john stemple is no longer with us so we'll never know about his registrations but Doug is still around. Take advantage of that fact. When you go to sell this thing it may help to have some history and he is the one to give it to you.....

Frank

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Just as was posted in the thread on subguns the answer to your question is only as far away as your phone. Give Doug Oefinger a call and ask him. It might have been a mistake that was supposed to be type 56 or M56 which was the normal Chinese AKM or he may have just decided to use M58 for reasons of his own. In many cases its not possible to get the answer....john stemple is no longer with us so we'll never know about his registrations but Doug is still around. Take advantage of that fact. When you go to sell this thing it may help to have some history and he is the one to give it to you.....

Frank

Thank you for the advice. I am planning on contacting Doug in the future and will then ask him. Doug does not appreciate people who don't have their terminology right and hence I want to educate myself on the topic prior to contacting him.

Top Bottom