Transporting a rifle in your checked luggage? HALP!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onviousluu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    I know this has got to have been asked many times, but I've done several searches, and I cannot find a thread saying how this is done.....

I'm flying to Portland from the Indy Airport.....

Also, for starting what is probably a repetitive thread, I give you this to make up for it:

Win:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff139/flamingfuzzy/Hermione_Epic_Win.jpg

edit: Rules:
    You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    The firearm must be unloaded.
    The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
    You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Check with the airlines that you are flying with first. Rules seem to vary between airlines.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If it's a rifle you're likely going to have to have it in its own special case. Most people whom I know that have carried one have had to do it that way. It's safer for your firearm, that's for certain.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Also don't let them put the orange "firearm enclosed" sticker on the outside of your case. This is against Federal law.

+1 to checking with the specific airline you are flying on for their policy on firearms. Every one of them has a different policy and procedure, and different amounts of ammo you can bring and how/where it needs to be packed.

Top Bottom