• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    Im wanting to haul my handgun 50 miles this weekend. I may shoot it at a friends house, but its not a specific shooting range.

I put in for a cc permit, but its an 8-10 month wait. What is the legal way to haul this thing? I drive a grand cherokee so its not like i have a fully covered lockable trunk. I was thinking having the gun in the very back and the bullets in the glove box?

On the other side of the spectrum, i was told you cant haul bullets AND the handgun in the same vehicle regardless of how far apart and out of reach they are. You can haul just the bullets or just the gun, but not both.

lww

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    West Lafayette
    IC doesn't say anything about a trunk, or separating ammunition:
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

Here's a link to the full IC section: Indiana Code 35-47-2

--Bill

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Im wanting to haul my handgun 50 miles this weekend. I may shoot it at a friends house, but its not a specific shooting range.

I put in for a cc permit, but its an 8-10 month wait. What is the legal way to haul this thing? I drive a grand cherokee so its not like i have a fully covered lockable trunk. I was thinking having the gun in the very back and the bullets in the glove box?

On the other side of the spectrum, i was told you cant haul bullets AND the handgun in the same vehicle regardless of how far apart and out of reach they are. You can haul just the bullets or just the gun, but not both.

how did you put in for a CC PERMIT?
    I'd like to get my hands on one...

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I'd recommend removing the slide and barrel and keeping away from the trigger mechanism and receiver.

Should any police altercations arise, hopefully a jury of your peers would be wise enough to know that the gun was rendered inoperable in the state in which you transported it. It would be difficult for anyone to say you did not make a reasonable effort to transport it safely in an unloaded state incapable of firing.

This is what I did prior to getting a permit many moons ago.

My suggested method may be overkill but IMHO will keep you out of jail.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    To answer your question, I would purchase a lockable container for your handgun. Then you can put it in the back of your vehicle (Unloaded), carry the ammo anywhere you like.

Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    CCP: I looked up Indiana CCP online and found a link to the electronic document to fill out my information. I sent it and read a message that stated I should go to my local law enforcement office a.s.a.p. I took the next morning off of work only to show up and find a document posted on the wall stating I should wait until I was contacted.

Ten minutes (literally) later when the desk clerk showed up, she confirmed I should wait until called. I chalked it up to part of the process and moved on. I received a call four days later stating I was "good to go". The message pointed me to the online fingerprinting website (L1). I scheduled a time as well as paid my fees.

I arrived at the local fingerprinting station and found it to be very quick and easy. I took the receipt to the local law enforcement office and she told me it would be 5-6 weeks on the CCP. This is where I stand now, 2 weeks in to the wait. Hope this helps.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Ignore them Sublime .. they enjoy yanking your chain .. I dont get get why so many people get so bent outta shape over calling it a license or permit or LCH or CC .. Who cares .. We know what he/she is talking about!

It's not like I'll get in someones face for calling a car an automobile or a truck a pick-up.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    CCP: I looked up Indiana CCP online and found a link to the electronic document to fill out my information. I sent it and read a message that stated I should go to my local law enforcement office a.s.a.p. I took the next morning off of work only to show up and find a document posted on the wall stating I should wait until I was contacted.

Ten minutes (literally) later when the desk clerk showed up, she confirmed I should wait until called. I chalked it up to part of the process and moved on. I received a call four days later stating I was "good to go". The message pointed me to the online fingerprinting website (L1). I scheduled a time as well as paid my fees.

I arrived at the local fingerprinting station and found it to be very quick and easy. I took the receipt to the local law enforcement office and she told me it would be 5-6 weeks on the CCP. This is where I stand now, 2 weeks in to the wait. Hope this helps.

One more time, It is not a permit to carry or a ccw, nor is it a ccp or cc. It is a License to carry a handgun (LTCH) !

Please learn to correct terms so the anti's have fuel and call us gun owners a bunch of hicks.

Sorry for the rant, but please try to be correct.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    One more time, It is not a permit to carry or a ccw, nor is it a ccp or cc. It is a License to carry a handgun (LTCH) !

Please learn to correct terms so the anti's have fuel and call us gun owners a bunch of hicks.

Sorry for the rant, but please try to be correct.

Ridiculous. Must be nice to not make mistakes...

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Pickup Truck is American slag.. Its not truly accurate. Such as Coupe or car .. We don't drive motor cars anymore... We drive automobiles .. But we still use all of these terms even though they are not 100% accurate and we don't bust someones balls just because they use a different term than someone else.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Pickup Truck is American slag.. Its not truly accurate. Such as Coupe or car .. We don't drive motor cars anymore... We drive automobiles .. But we still use all of these terms even though they are not 100% accurate and we don't bust someones balls just because they use a different term than someone else.

That's different than calling a LTCH (which does not require CC) a CCP (which only allows CC).

Two-Tornadoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Where everybody knows my name

Slag is something left behind after arc welding. :laugh:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The number of acronyms on this site is rather amazing.

Example:
    i ordered a PSA LPK that has no FCG so i have been thinking about buying a geissele SSA

I've had a ccw ( the generic term used by most folks in the states that allow citizens to carry concealed ) for umpty ump years...but the Indiana Glock Owners seem to carry it a bit far.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I understand why the terms are different .. Its just think its uncalled for to call someone out every time they interchange them.

just saw my typo .. slag slang .. whatever :P

Top Bottom