transporting in truck window gunrack legal ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/INSL.pdf

The link above is put out by the NRA. The answer to your question would be in the quick reference chart and also if you zip down to the portion of the article talking "carrying."

The answer seems to be yes. However, the permission to do so seems to come from the fact that the Indiana law does not seem to explicitly prohibit it. I, for one, am not eager to invite trouble not only on myself but on all gunowners by overzealous citizens who are looking for any reason to label us as "nuts" or "rednecks." Look into it from a more credible source than I before you try it, though.

With that said, I once saw a man displaying THREE guns in a rack over in Brownsburg a short time ago. :cool:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    years ago I used to use one when I went deer hunting. Hung the unloaded shotgun there as it was a single cab truck w/ no bed cover.

Probably would do it today if I still went deer hunting, but not on a regular basis.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think it is a regional thing. I was brought up keeping it behind the truck seat because you just didn't want people to know you had a gun. Some of my family though always kept something on the rack during hunting season (and some year round). My brother in his younger days kept it in the rack and loaded in case one jumped out in front of his truck at night... self defense of course. The game warden didn't see the humor in it though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is no law against it, therefore it's legal.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I were in the vehicle and I had room for such a rack. I would not leave it there when I was not in the vehicle for obvious reasons.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The answer seems to be yes. However, the permission to do so seems to come from the fact that the Indiana law does not seem to explicitly prohibit it.

This post made me laugh :). That's how laws work in the US :D

They don't give us the right to do every little thing, they just take them away :ar15:

And yes, it is 100% legal.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    As others have said, completely legal. I wouldn't worry about it getting stolen while running into the meijer for some milk and eggs, however I wouldn't leave it parked on the street overnight with it in plain view either.

I smile whenever I see a gun in a pickup truck window. Then i have to wonder what sort of person smart enough to own a gun drives around in a fish bowl? Get some tint on those windows buddy! :cool:

boredstupid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Where I went to high school they said it was OK to have a shot gun or rifle in your truck as long as it was on a window rack. That was about 10 years ago, they have changed it now. I am surprised they are not asking for a DNA sample to enter the school now.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Back on the farm coyotes and other varmits became such a problem we kept a shotgun or rifle in the truck at all times. Sometimes on the rack in the back window and sometimes just laying on the dash. Truck was never unattended long in town and was on the farm most of the other times, and it was bother some to leave it at home when making a quick run to town. Sounds like you urban folks have a different mindset about things. Some of us in the fish bowl have nothing to hide. Our sins are out in the open. (RHINO DOES NOT NEED TO REPEAT THEM)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like you urban folks have a different mindset about things. Some of us in the fish bowl have nothing to hide.

Privacy? Protection from the sun and heat? Crooks can't walk by easily discern what is inside, ect. ect. ect.

Silly rural-ans! Tint makes it harder for the overpass snipers and gang bangers in chicago (and gary) to get a bead on you too ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I left the Marsh in Btown this afternoon. There was a young lady sitting in the passenger seat of a small pickup in the parking lot. At closer inspection, she was obviously there to keep track of the scoped lever action hanging in the window rack.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Privacy? Protection from the sun and heat? Crooks can't walk by easily discern what is inside, ect. ect. ect.

Silly rural-ans! Tint makes it harder for the overpass snipers and gang bangers in chicago (and gary) to get a bead on you too ;)

Privacy? The side windows were always down. Privacy for us came from living on a dead end road and owning the land on both sides. Sun tans were the protection from the sun, and there was no from the heat.

Crooks did not get to walk by in the setting described above. Been to Gary once. Ain't going back.:)

Like I said different outlook on things.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    gun rack

Thanks for the replies. This question came to mind when I saw a suction cup gun rack at Cabelas. I was unsure if I could use it for more than just fishing poles. I have had friends tell me, why push it and thats just asking for trouble. I don't see using the gun rack as asking for trouble. I am a proud gun owner and hunter and shouldn't have to hide it. I just wanted to make sure it is legal before I got one. I don't see any in Lake County even here in south Lake. This weekend when I go hunting I will proudly have my sluggun in my new rack.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Top Bottom