• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    So i recently heard from a buddy that there may be some legal issues transporting my AK? I dont know how credible this information is but it has me wondering..

The rifle is the semi auto only version, registered to me, i transport it unloaded and in a case...any problems?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    So i recently heard from a buddy that there may be some legal issues transporting my AK? I dont know how credible this information is but it has me wondering..

The rifle is the semi auto only version, registered to me, i transport it unloaded and in a case...any problems?

No legal issues. It is legal to carry it in your vehicle or on your person loaded without a permit in Indiana unless you are carrying it on an ATV then a special set of laws apply.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    No legal issues. It is legal to carry it in your vehicle or on your person loaded without a permit in Indiana unless you are carrying it on an ATV then a special set of laws apply.

dont mean to hijack the thread, but what special set of laws apply to "carring on an ATV"?

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    what im trying to figure out... my buddy who i might be going shooting with later on today apparently called the state police and they told him he could get in a lot of trouble for transporting my ak...

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    but what special set of laws apply to "carring on an ATV"
    It has to do with the hunting regs---you will find the answer in the hunting and fishing regs on the DNR website.

I know the gun has to be cased but you'll have to look it up for further info. If you're not hunting I should think the rule does not apply???

Steve

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    what im trying to figure out... my buddy who i might be going shooting with later on today apparently called the state police and they told him he could get in a lot of trouble for transporting my ak...

Have him call back and ask them to cite which code he could possibly be violating.

We would all love to hear it! :):

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    dont mean to hijack the thread, but what special set of laws apply to "carring on an ATV"?

Off-Road Vehicles
    IC 14-16-1-7
    "Vehicle" defined
    Sec. 7. As used in this chapter, "vehicle" refers to an off-road vehicle or a snowmobile.

IC 14-16-1-23
    Restrictions on operation

(9) While transporting on or in the vehicle a firearm unless the firearm is:
    (A) unloaded; and
    (B) securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism.

(b) Subsection (a)(9) does not apply to a person who is carrying a handgun if the person:
    (1) has been issued an unlimited handgun license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2; or
    (2) is not required to possess a license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2-2.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    O.K., I'll ask it. Diesel, where are you going?

Intrastate? No problems, transport it as you like (a range may require a case or soft bag).

Interstate? May be problems, where are you going, if so?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Regarding transporting on ATV

IC 14-16-1-23
    Restrictions on operation
    (9) While transporting on or in the vehicle a firearm unless the firearm is:
    (A) unloaded; and
    (B) securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism.

Quote:
    (b) Subsection (a)(9) does not apply to a person who is carrying a handgun if the person:
    (1) has been issued an unlimited handgun license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2;

@ ATM , from what this says"does not apply to person who is carrying a handgun if the person ....has been issued an unlimited habndgun license to carry" wouldnt that exclude anyone that had a liftime LTCH ???? IM confused:n00b: :n00b:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I take it to mean that with the LTCH, your handgun(s) may be carried loaded on your person as normal. However, all other arms must be transported unloaded and encased or inoperative.

*not a lawyer*

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Question, did he clarify that it was a semi-auto AK variant.

If the person on the phone was being a stickler, an actual AK (which would be registered to you via NFA) Would have transport restrictions without you.

Top Bottom