• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    I have plenty of handgun experience, but little long gun experience. I'm looking to remedy that, and would like to pick up a trap gun, and have $800 as a target. I already have a HD shotgun (870), so it would be trap-only.

I like value in my firearms - I don't mind spending a little more if I can obtain a significant bump in quality, so $800 isn't as much a ceiling as it is an amount I thought would give me several decent options. If it makes more sense to spend a little more (or less), then I'd be willing to go there - that's where I really need some help.

As far as autoloader v pump, I'm leaning autoloader, but if there's an O/U out there that makes sense, I'd look into that as well.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I like the mossberg Silver Reserve sporter O/U great firearm. ported barrel, 5 chokes, engraved, good balance, $600. Also recommend Weatherby Orion O/U. Around $875-925.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Are you looking for a single or a double? Jaquas has a BT99 used for 600 for example if you want a single, they also have a huge selection of doubles such as an SKB 505 Trap for 900 or a SKB 600 Trap for 650. I would take a road trip up there, they have more shotguns than Carter has pills and they have a trap range on the property and will generally allow you to try the used guns.

You can keep an eye on the for sale section here as well...I just bought a Valmet 412 at a great price from a forum member.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    I would personally go with a browning bt 99...but i also have a wingmaster as well....can pick up a nice wingmaster TB for around 500 to i guess as much as you want to pay ....hope i helped ya

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Go to a Trap Club and talk to the shooters. Most will be more than glad to let you try out their guns. I don't know if you are going to shoot in Matches or if it is just for fun; this will determine if you can get something for $800 or less. When I started I shot my Remington 1100 Field Gun until I saved enough to get a "Trap" Gun. Glad I waited because after shooting for a year, I knew what I wanted in a gun.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I picked up a used red label in 20 ga, for 775. last fall at Indy 1500 I bought a 12 ga. red label for 825. I have seen several used bt 99's from 650 to 800.deals are out there.Ask at the club you shoot at gun guys are always buying and selling. good luck in your search.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Since you don't need a 3" chamber (and NO ONE does except Goose hunters) One option is to buy old and used and get as high end of an O/U as you can find for the money.

Semi in that price I would look at used Berettas. An example is my GF uses a nice Beretta 303 of mine in 20 gauge for all things shotgun, english stock. Works for her.

Either of those give you a gun to game with outside of trap but can take to the field as well so you are not stuck with a single use gun, if you hunt.

If none of that applies, used BT 99 ain't bad.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Where are you located? If you are close to Indy than I'll be more than glad to show you some Trap guns. I shoot on Thursday Nights (MCFG) and Saturday Afternoon (Brownsburg).

Top Bottom