• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FinancialGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hi all, took my fiance out to the range this past weekend and she's hooked. I'm a complete novice, and have just started to get back into the sport. I shoot a 12ga 870 with wood stock, and using the 28in barrel with modified choke that it came with, which will suffice for the foreseeable future. For her, it was too heavy. If anyone has some suggestions for what might be a good fit for her, I'd love to hear them. Would like to keep it under $400-500, and ideally new. Thinking about a 20ga to cut down on the kick, and guessing some type of composite would be best so that it's lighter. She likes the Benelli Nova, but we've just started looking so could definitely be swayed to something else, though I don't think she'd like an 870 since that's what I have.

Thanks in advance...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Trap's a 12ga game, just try some light loads. Both Browning and Beretta make dedicated trap guns with shorter stocks from the factory. If you could find a Bt-99 Micro single barrel that would be ideal. Take her to Indiana Gun Club and see what they have used in trap guns. They usually have everything from pumps to high end single/doubles/semi's.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Although they're harder to find than the Remmys or the Mossys, the Winchester pump guns are pretty nice. I don't know if they're any lighter than the others though.

As far as 12 or 20ga, if she's going to shoot primarily 16yd, a 20 is more than enough.

FinancialGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for the feedback. Definitely think we'll go to the gun club to see what they have. I've lived out of state for a while and just moving back, but from past experience there, they seemed to mostly carry the higher end ones, so good to know they may have some of the entry level models now. I think the best next step is to just handle some and see how she likes them, but if any other suggestions on specific guns to look for, would love to hear...

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    a remington 1100 in 20 ga. would be just right, semi auto means less recoil. i know a couple women that shoot them just fine. should be close to your price point too.

also, a semi is good for skeet and sporting clays if you move down the range.

when you get to IGC they have shotguns you can borrow to shoot to find one she likes. good luck

daryll

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have a Browning Citori O/U 12ga that I got at the IGC. I had to have a gunsmith shorten the stock so it would fit me. Love that gun!
    We are probably going to be in the market for a pump or semi-auto that we can both use, as we recently started shooting with a group that does bowling pin shoots, etc. Would like to find something with an adjustable stock so we don't have to purchase 2 more shotguns!

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Not knowing if my wife would like trap shooting we settled on a Mossberg 500 20GA pump. It is plenty light and I found one used for $125. It has been a really good gun for the price. But, she wasn't too fond of trap shooting it turned out, so now I have a 20GA to the collection. Good luck in your search.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    some sort of single barrel for weight and ease of swing. the down side is that trap is all it is good for. the browning BT-99s are good guns for the money. for sure take her to ind gun club and let her try out a variety to find out what she like and can shoot well

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    CZ makes a couple that could be good. They just released a Lady Sterling O/U CZ-USA -> Lady Sterling, but it's a little more than what you're looking to pay. They also have the semi-auto 712 ALS with a stock that adjusts for length of pull and comb so it could be adjusted to fit her CZ-USA -> 712 ALS . Otherwise, a used 11-87 premium would be a good bet. It's a little heavy, but with that extra weight comes reduced recoil. You also get reduced recoil from it being a gas operated semi-auto. Those combined with a low-recoil target round like Remington's Gun Club 2 3/4 would make for a soft shooter.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Trap's a 12ga game, just try some light loads. Both Browning and Beretta make dedicated trap guns with shorter stocks from the factory. If you could find a Bt-99 Micro single barrel that would be ideal. Take her to Indiana Gun Club and see what they have used in trap guns. They usually have everything from pumps to high end single/doubles/semi's.

This- yes, get to indy gun club and have her try out some used ones. under 4-500 new; is a kinda (meaning totally) crappy (unrealistic) budget for a trap gun based on what you've already said. sorry, that's field gun pricing. that doesn't mean you can't shoot trap with it, but I'm just clearing that up. 870's work great, but they do kick a little and are heavy. you'll be way better off looking at used stuff. IMO
    Same issue with my wife, 870 (12) 28 inch - too heavy - a400 (12) 34 inch too heavy - 391 (12) 30 inch - too heavy, and so on and so forth.
    You also should note that the lighter the gun, will increase the kick; it's a trade off. an X-something or other Winchester comes to mind that I shot. I couldn't believe how light it was, but when I shot it, I hated it. So, there's a happy medium somewhere you'll have to find for her. That's why the trip to indy gun club will be well worth it.
    Stick with 12g if you can and get 1 oz loads for semis or 7/8 for single/pump

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Get her a dedicated Trap gun that fits properly. Anything less will just cause a lot of dropped targets. Unlike field guns, Trap guns are set up to pattern high, because in Trap targets are shot on the rise. If you try this with a field gun, you have to cover the target to acquire the necessary vertical lead. Once you do that, you have no idea where the target is. All dedicated Trap shooters shoot Trap guns for this reason.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    billt is right.
    it doesn't mean you can't hit 25's with an 870. hell, I used to shoot dbls with an 870.
    but having a gun more suited to the sport - if that is it's sole intention - will make it much more enjoyable.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    1100 Remington 12 gauge and shoot 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 dram equiv loads will have way less recoil than any pump or breakopen in your price range. If she decides not to continue with it, an 1100 is handy to have around or easy to sell.

If she ends up liking it, trade that 1100 for Beretta 682 Competition trap with a stock fit to her by Ken Rucker with a recoil absorbing butt system. That will be the last shotgun she will ever need.

FinancialGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great advice all around - will definitely be bookmarking this thread for future use, as I hope to be the sole owner of what we ended up with in the next year or two! Figured I would update... we found a CZ Upland Ultralight used for around $630. That became the new front runner due to the weight (only about 6lb), and assuming it would kick a little less (than my 870) being an O/U, despite it being much lighter. But, it was a 26", and we wanted a 28". Since single barrel was all we needed, we settled on the Benelli Nova 12ga 28". She loves the Max 4 pattern and red fiber optic sight, and read too many good things about it to pass up for $499 at Cabela's. Agreed it's not a dedicated trap gun, but I couldn't justify paying minimum 2x the price for one seeing that we're both hitting about 70% of the clays thrown out of a backyard thrower as beginners using an 870 - and we want the option to go bird hunting if given the opportunity. So, this will be a great gun for her (us) to use for the next couple years, and I've told her that as we get more into the sport and want to walk down the range to skeet, I'll trade my 870 towards an O/U for her, and become the owner of the Nova - if that's not a win-win, I don't know what is! Thanks for all the input - I'm sure this thread will be helpful for plenty of other people too...

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I shot Trap many many moons ago. The several Ladies I shot with used Remington 1100's. Fitted with a youth stock it's a perfect gun for the Girls. If your going to shoot Trap, get a Trap gun like built said. The right tools make the task easier.

Top Bottom