• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

Need some guidance from the trap shooters.

I have shot trap a few times in the past and then I shot trap Friday night at my gun club. Had a great time and realized that I would like to dive a little deeper into trap.

My current gun: Remington 1187 Sportsman 28" barrel

Have some questions I need some guidance on:

- should I get a shell catcher for my auto loader?
    - I only have a small pouch that clips onto my belt that holds just one box of shells. I see that most guys have a larger belt/pouch that looks like it has room for empty hulls - should I get something like this? What do you recommend?
    - would it benefit me to look for another barrel for my gun? If so, what? 30"?
    - my gun just has the black synthetic stock - if I were to look for a replacement stock, what should I consider? Suggestions?

Any other accessories/tools that would make my experience better or easier?

I'm very content with continuing to shoot my 1187 for time being. However, if I decide that I really enjoy trap and want to consider a different gun - what should I even consider? I have read that the 1100s are very popular. I think I would lean towards an auto loader or O/U.

Thanks in advance!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Get a shell catcher to clip on that 1187, a pouch big enough to hold 25 rounds and 25 empties, stick the full choke in that 28 inch barrel and have at it. If the gun is hurting you or not shooting to the correct point of impact, you may want to get a Jack West adj. stock, or a cheap wood one that can be converted to adjustable.

1100s and Berettas are popular, but your 1187 is a good gun, and will still be a nice backup or doubles gun if/when you get something more pricey. I wouldn't switch barrels to a 30" unless you find that your current barrel won't shoot straight or to a good point of impact for you. If it shoots where you want it to, don't get rid of it no matter what. Get a good quality Bob Allen or similar shell bag with a wide (weight-bearing) shoulder strap and you should be set.

Good luck and have fun!

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Get a shell catcher to clip on that 1187, a pouch big enough to hold 25 rounds and 25 empties, stick the full choke in that 28 inch barrel and have at it. If the gun is hurting you or not shooting to the correct point of impact, you may want to get a Jack West adj. stock, or a cheap wood one that can be converted to adjustable.

1100s and Berettas are popular, but your 1187 is a good gun, and will still be a nice backup or doubles gun if/when you get something more pricey. I wouldn't switch barrels to a 30" unless you find that your current barrel won't shoot straight or to a good point of impact for you. If it shoots where you want it to, don't get rid of it no matter what. Get a good quality Bob Allen or similar shell bag with a wide (weight-bearing) shoulder strap and you should be set.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the insight.

Could you expand on the cheap wood stock? Is this a Remington factory stock? Any links or pics would be great.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Maybe try Boyd's gunstocks:

Boyds:

They are showing a $79 wood replacement for 1187 (Am. Plainsman model, includes Pachmayr Decelerator fitted pad) that would allow you to get a parallel-comb (non-field) stock onto the gun for cheap, if that's what you want. I'd emphasize that if your current stock is hitting well for you (ie, you've patterned it on a large piece of paper at 20-25 yds. and it hits where you want, and the clays break well for you), there may be no problem and you can keep using what you have. Just one option. I have heard a lot of good things about the Jack West synthetics, also.

An 1187 from the first year of production was my first trap gun...and trading that gun was the first of many gun-trading mistakes I made!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had an 11-87 Premier Trap model and it did a good job and was reliable. In would not get too excited about an extra couple inches of barrel, if you are not hitting 99% plus with a 28 inch barrel, you will not notice any difference with a 30 or 32". The powder is really all burned up in about 20 inches or so as can be seen on a Chronograh.

Some people think that if they don't reload they need not bother with a shell catcher. Get one anyway. Too many general purpose field guns will throw the empties at the guy to your right. This is rude and annoying. In addition, you don't want to be the guy that puts a nick in the high end wood of a high end shotgun. Remember that upscale wood can be $3000-4000 extra on a top shotgun.

I really like to use a trap shooting vest. The padded shoulder gives me a consistant gun mount as it is the same every time. The top left pocket always has my ear plugs, and the top right always has my two extra shells. As far as other equipment, I use a single box shell carrier for unfired shells and the front pockets on my vest for empties. The right pocket is the hulls from hits, the left pocket is the hulls from lost birds. This makes it easy to keep track of my score without trying to keep track in my mind. This lets me concentrate better on the bird I am about to shoot.

"Lonesome Charlie (Parker)" and "Shamrock" make very nice hand tooled leather shell carriers and pouches.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    trap

Hey INGO,

Need some guidance from the trap shooters.

I have shot trap a few times in the past and then I shot trap Friday night at my gun club. Had a great time and realized that I would like to dive a little deeper into trap.

My current gun: Remington 1187 Sportsman 28" barrel

Have some questions I need some guidance on:

- should I get a shell catcher for my auto loader?
    - I only have a small pouch that clips onto my belt that holds just one box of shells. I see that most guys have a larger belt/pouch that looks like it has room for empty hulls - should I get something like this? What do you recommend?
    - would it benefit me to look for another barrel for my gun? If so, what? 30"?
    - my gun just has the black synthetic stock - if I were to look for a replacement stock, what should I consider? Suggestions?

Any other accessories/tools that would make my experience better or easier?

I'm very content with continuing to shoot my 1187 for time being. However, if I decide that I really enjoy trap and want to consider a different gun - what should I even consider? I have read that the 1100s are very popular. I think I would lean towards an auto loader or O/U.

Thanks in advance!

Where are you located ? If you can get to the Indiana Gun Club I'll meet you and bring a Beretta 391, a Remington 1100 (both autoloaders), a Krieghoff, a Remington 3200, and a Browning Citori (over and unders) and let shoot any or all of them to see which one suits your fancy best.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Where are you located ? If you can get to the Indiana Gun Club I'll meet you and bring a Beretta 391, a Remington 1100 (both autoloaders), a Krieghoff, a Remington 3200, and a Browning Citori (over and unders) and let shoot any or all of them to see which one suits your fancy best.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I'm not in Indiana anymore. I used to live about five minutes from Indiana gun club.

I now shoot at Aurora Sportmen's Club in Waterman, IL....

Top Bottom