• ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Trap shooting - first time! Advice needed, Gun Suggestions

WOW what a blast! I had a great time shooting at the Indiana Gun Club! It was my first time ever shooting there. I had a great experience. So much so that I want to do it again! Now I need a solid gun selection. I want something that would be good just for the occasional trap shooting. I don't plan on hunting. Of course personal protection in the home is nice too...but I have a Glock for that.

I like the over under style, but I'd like to stay in the price range of $400 or less... Any recommendations? Anything that I should NOT BUY!

Thanks!

Last edited:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    For occasional trap shooting about anything will work, just make sure the gun fits you. A Remington 870 would work fine in your price range.

Dave

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Unless you plan on shooting doubles, an 870 would serve you perfectly. The "trap" models have a raised comb..."monte carlo" style...and a little higher vent rib which helps a bit, but a regular field grade Wingmaster will break just as many birds if you do your part.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'll let other suggest what to buy, but I will interject DO NOT buy 400-500 O/U guns! Any of them of decent quality will be $1000 for a worn but mechanically sound used one.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i used a remington 870 that was from walmart,my dad has an 870 trap that he paid 600 for(used) and the only clean round he ever shot was with a ruger red label,all of those can be used and are entry level guns, great for the guys who hand throw birds, or the yearly trip to the trap range, look at a remington 870 trap or a winchester sxp trap(both are affordable)

now if you are wanting to shoot trap everyweekend,or drive to ohio for the ata grand american,you know really get into the sport, look for a krieghoff, lujic, or other high end trap gun(beautiful wood, beautiful blue/stainless, back bored, ported, high rib) gander in evansville has a used krieghoff for 6999.99(not a typo yes 7 thousand dollars USED!)

a guy let me shoot a round with a browning bt99 trap gun(after i shot it i cussed him up and down, cause after i shot that sweet little 1200.00 gun i had to back to my 300.00 870)

ill tell you watching a bird "dust" will make you smile! and missing one will make you cuss!

one time i had 24, and missed the 25th, i remember taking my shotgun by the barrel and holding it like a baseball bat getting ready to throw that thing as far as i could, when my dad stopped me and said, maybe we ought to take a break for a while!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Unless you plan on shooting doubles, an 870 would serve you perfectly. The "trap" models have a raised comb..."monte carlo" style...and a little higher vent rib which helps a bit, but a regular field grade Wingmaster will break just as many birds if you do your part.

I second that. All the cool kids at the range have Over-and-Unders, but you can do fine with an 870 while you "break into" the sport. After you've been at it for awhile, you'd be better educated in what gun to upgrade into.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Not to hi-jack, but I have an 870 that my dad used for trap. When he passed I got the shotgun, but it seems very unwieldy. I feel like my arms are too stretched out, and the thing is too long. Any advice on some modifications I could make?

badapples

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Jennings County
    you could take it to a gunsmith and they can shorten the stock for you, basically they will do a fitting and figure out what length of pull would work best for you. during the indiana state trap shoot in early july, they will have gunsmiths there that could do that for you.

fyi the grand american has moved to sparta, illinois.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Thank you all for the suggestions!

Keep them coming if you have them. I was at gander mountain today. Tried out a bunch of them. I'll keep trying them out at gander mountain.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My $400 stoeger O/U works fine. Granted Im not out there every other weekend, but a couple hundred rounds a year and it does fine. :dunno:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    As others have suggested a nice pump will work fine. 870 trap guns are nice but even used are still pricey. Winchester has a trap version of their SXP pump with a retail under 500.00. I've handled these and they are nice, i've thought of getting one for an extra gun if I take anyone shooting.

SXP Trap, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

My first pump gun was a Model 1200. I very much prefer the Winchester pump guns to the Mossys or Remingtons....mostly because of how mine ran compared to the others I've shot.

winchester sxp trap for sale

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thank you all for the suggestions!

Keep them coming if you have them. I was at gander mountain today. Tried out a bunch of them. I'll keep trying them out at gander mountain.

Forget Gander Mountain. Indiana Gun Club will allow you to shoot their used (not new) guns for free on the practice trap in front of the store. Just find a used one of a style/model you're considering, tell the guy at the counter you'd like to shoot it, buy a box of shells and for the price of a round, you can take it out to the practice trap and try it for real. Aim for Wednesday, Wednesday night or Friday when they're not so busy and you may get a trap to yourself to try the gun. When you decide to buy, you won't be paying the typical $100 Gander premium, you'll be getting it from people who actually know what they're talking about...and if the used one you tried out works for you, maybe you can save even more just buying that one.

As the previous poster said, stay away from the Turkish and other cheap foreign O/Us. They're junk built for the couple hundred rounds a year hunting market, and won't hold up to target range usage. In your price range, you need to be looking at 870s or maybe a quality used autoloader like an 1100 or Beretta. Those last practically forever (and the major wear parts are replaceable, anyway). You want the longest, heaviest gun you can handle for trap. (Gander might sell you a lightweight gun that will kick the snot out of you, and if you can't try it first, as a newbie you won't know until it's too late).

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Forget Gander Mountain. Indiana Gun Club will allow you to shoot their used (not new) guns for free on the practice trap in front of the store. Just find a used one of a style/model you're considering, tell the guy at the counter you'd like to shoot it, buy a box of shells and for the price of a round, you can take it out to the practice trap and try it for real. Aim for Wednesday, Wednesday night or Friday when they're not so busy and you may get a trap to yourself to try the gun. When you decide to buy, you won't be paying the typical $100 Gander premium, you'll be getting it from people who actually know what they're talking about...and if the used one you tried out works for you, maybe you can save even more just buying that one.

As the previous poster said, stay away from the Turkish and other cheap foreign O/Us. They're junk built for the couple hundred rounds a year hunting market, and won't hold up to target range usage. In your price range, you need to be looking at 870s or maybe a quality used autoloader like an 1100 or Beretta. Those last practically forever (and the major wear parts are replaceable, anyway). You want the longest, heaviest gun you can handle for trap. (Gander might sell you a lightweight gun that will kick the snot out of you, and if you can't try it first, as a newbie you won't know until it's too late).

His budgets around 400.00, I don't think he'll find an 870, 1100, or beretta trap gun for that.

Top Bottom