• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike D.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My son and I are new to trapping and looking for any tips we could get. We are focusing on raccoon's this year but hope to get into fox's and coyotes next year.

Thanks

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Reading Fur-Fish-Game has helped me more than anything.

I think catching raccoons is kind of tricky. There's plenty around so catching some is not usually a problem. But catching them efficiently and being able to avoid certain problems seems more complicated than it is with other animals.

With coons use a drowner set whenever you can. Raccoons respond well to bait but don't underestimate a good blind set. They can very effective.

I've had lots of problems when hard staking foothold traps to the ground. When I can't use a drowner wire setup, wiring the trap to a clog has worked a lot better than staking the trap down. I just wire the trap to a couple of long sticks or branches - say 1-2 inches in diameter and 6 to 10 feet long. This seems to allow the raccoon the freedom to move somewhere they feel more comfortable or find something to occupy their interest. They just seem to be much less stressed if they are not hard staked right to the ground. I've had a lot of problems with raccoons pulling their feet out of my traps and I find that #11 double long springs hold raccoons far better than #1 or #1.5 coil spring traps. Coil springs work fine on drowner wires but if you can't get them under water, I much prefer to have them held in a #11 double long spring.

220 size body grip traps set in coon trails are highly effective sets. But don't set them anywhere a nearby pet might be wandering around.

There aren't many foxes around Indianapolis. At least in relative proportion to the number of coyotes running around. I would suggest setting traps with coyotes in mind and taking any foxes that come along rather than thinking of foxes at the time you construct the sets. I'm still a beginner when it comes to coyote trapping but I don't find them very hard to catch - at least early in the season. By this time of the year I have really hard time catching them. The freezing and thawing of the ground makes it really hard to keep a set working.

Have fun! Talk to Charlie down at Hoosier Trapper Supply in Greenwood if you have any specific questions. He's a good man and they provide great service down there.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd suggest a trip to Hoosier Trapper Supply in Greenwood. They are very helpful, and will get you set up and steered in the right direction. They also have a fantastic Youtube channel with a lot of helpful tips. I'd suggest some dog proof coon cuffs, or coon daggers. they are a tube-type push/ pull trigger. Sweet bait will tend to keep the majority of opossums out of the traps.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Snares are your best friend for coons, fences and tiles are coon magnets... With the snow in you should be able to see what they are using...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Better read the regs. Don't think 220s can be set anywhere with more than 1/2 the trap out of the water. Legal for beaver. Real hard on stray dogs otherwise.

220 conibears are legal to use on land, most are 7" x 7". Indiana law is anything greater than 7.5" x 7.5" has to be submerged in water. It is the 330 size conibear that is mostly used for beaver here in Indiana that has to be set under water.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The talk of trapping brings back some very good memories.

College days (1979) Try not to laugh too much at the hair. :):
    TrapLineCollegeDays_zps611b3c01.jpg

Early 1980's (1982)
    TrapLineearly80s2_zpseffaefbc.jpg

TrapLineEarly80s_zps15c6d46d.jpg

TrapLineEarly80s3_zps0399ee27.jpg

TrapLineEarly80s4_zpsa74dcebd.jpg

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co

mike, come over to charlies(hoosier trappers supply) at greenwood 4th sat in sept for the biggest one day trappers event in the midwest. put on by Furtakers of america ch. 7B. there will be lots of experinced trappers giving demos on catching all furbearers. all for free. plenty of supply dealers on site also.

Mike D.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all of the tips. I've talked with Charlie a few times but try not to bombard him with to many questions at one time. I know he's busy with other things, but he has been very helpful along with his videos on the Hoosier trapper youtube channel. @Bradsknives I like the throw back pics. It reminds me of my father-law from the days when he trapped.

Top Bottom