• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exploringspace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Hamilton cty
    I plan on going to Arizonia and I would like to know what the rules are for buying firearms out of State. I plan on flying back.
    Does the following cover me?
    On April 26, Governor Daniels signed into law Senate Enrolled Act 94, the “Non-Contiguous State Firearm Purchase” bill. SEA 94 was authored by state Senator Travis Holdman (R-19) and sponsored in the House by state Representative Matthew Lehman (R-79).

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Before you leave Indiana, get copies of your local FFL's license. If you buy a firearm in AZ, give them the FFL copy, and they'll ship to your FFL, and you 'll pay the transfer fee.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    AFAIK, the non-contiguous state thing was for long guns only, you still have to use an in-state FFL for all handguns.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The only people that get copies of my license are other dealers. Many FFL's are the same way. All you have to do is provide a fax number or email address for the dealership in AZ and your home FFL can send his/her FFL directly there.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Here's what you can expect, if you go 'by the book'...

Get the name, address, phone, fax and e-mail of the dealer in Indiana that you want to RECEIVE the gun - provide that info to the dealer that is SELLING/SHIPPING it. You'll have to pass the NICS check... TWICE... once when you buy the gun and again when you take possession of it in Indiana.

If you buy from a private individual (like at a gun show), you need to have it shipped to a dealer in Indiana, and pass the background check (here) to take possession.

If you buy from a private individual (like at a gun show), and DRIVE the gun back to Indiana, you've committed a felony... two in fact, purchasing and transport.

Again... by the book.

Heads up - You won't find any bargains out-of-state that will offset the hassle and fees you incur getting the gun back here. Better, easier and simpler to just buy locally.

And yes, that is the whole point of the laws at play here... to keep your money in local dealers pockets.

And yes (again), I know Indiana passed SEA-94... but that doesn't mean other states have to honor it. As far as I can determine, Arizona doesn't.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You'll have to pass the NICS check... TWICE... once when you buy the gun and again when you take possession of it in Indiana.

Having 2 background checks doesn't sound right to me... There is only 1 FFL transfer performed as far as I'm aware. How is it any different than buying 1 firearm via the internet? Why would you have to do 2 NICS checks? Your in state FFL would be the only 1 doing a transfer.

Also, did you know INGO has an FAQ?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...on/17525-selling_guns_across_state_lines.html

Last edited:

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Having 2 background checks doesn't sound right to me... There is only 1 FFL transfer performed as far as I'm aware. How is it any different than buying 1 firearm via the Internet? Why would you have to do 2 NICS checks? Your in state FFL would be the only 1 doing a transfer.

It's different because your STANDING IN ARIZONA when you buy the gun.

The NCIS is conducted at the 'physical' point of sale. If your taking procession in another state, and that state requires that you pass a NICS check (which Indiana does - your LTCH does not exempt you), then you have to pass it here (also) to get the gun.

Again, by the book.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    In an effort to insure that accurate information is given to the original poster...

I just got off the phone with Agent Todd Armstrong, Ft Wayne Office, BATFE ... 1-260-424-4440

Per 18 USC 922 A3, B3....

An Indiana resident may select, and pay for a handgun in Arizona (from an FFL holder or a private individual), and arrange to have that handgun shipped to an FFL holder in Indiana for later transfer to the Indiana resident, AFTER he returns to Indiana. NICS checks AND/OR transfer charges will NOT apply until possession of the handgun is actually transferred to the Indiana resident, from an Indiana FFL licensee.

Agent Armstrong indicated to me that if there were any further concerns relative to this question, to give him a call. :patriot:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Here's what you can expect, if you go 'by the book'...

Get the name, address, phone, fax and e-mail of the dealer in Indiana that you want to RECEIVE the gun - provide that info to the dealer that is SELLING/SHIPPING it. You'll have to pass the NICS check... TWICE... once when you buy the gun and again when you take possession of it in Indiana.

This is not correct. It's a simple dealer to dealer transfer until he tries to take possession of the firearm in Indiana. Then the disposition requires a NICS check and 4473.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    I've already made my point, more than adequately. That being said...

Yes, I hear you telling me that it doesn't work this way in 'actual practice'... and I understand why it works that way... I'm just telling you what 'the book' says should happen.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've already made my point, more than adequately. That being said...

Yes, I hear you telling me that it doesn't work this way in 'actual practice'... and I understand why it works that way... I'm just telling you what 'the book' says should happen.
    Your point is wrong, as proven a couple posts up by a BATFE agent phone conversation.

Top Bottom