• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I'm planning a trip this summer as a surprise for my wife. We will be going to Colorado with our daughter. She'll be 20 months old by then and I'm wondering what the protocol is for her flying? does she sit on our laps? Do i have to buy a ticket for her as well? Car seat and base and stroller? Do i have to pay extra to check them or how do I get them out there? Just trying to do this without her finding out. Thanks.

Ryan

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sorry,If I can't take a gun or knife I don't go...planes or states. My daughter flies some and she has had her daughter sit on her lap, and her son was in a car seat, and she checked a stroller, but I've heard that the airlines want everyone to buy more seats, so the "discourage" having a kid sit in her lap

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think the policy is that a child can sit on your lap as long as they're under 2. That is, you don't need to buy the child a separate ticket. If you know the airline, you can check their website for details. As an example of what you're looking for on their website, I just googled the information for Frontier Airlines
    Frontier's Policy

Regarding car seat and base, you'll likely be checking them (that is, you won't carry them on the plane but will check them as baggage). The airline I think will have a big bag you can use to keep them relatively clean. You might also check with the car rental company. They might have car seats available. I have also found that for some car services they will have car seats but you will have to arrange that in advance.

You might consider calling the hotel where you're staying and asking them for recommendations. One add'l thing to consider is where your daughter will sleep. You might also be taking a 'Pack n Play' for her to sleep in. Again, the hotel will likely have a crib you can put in the room if you prefer to go that route.

Also, you might request a hotel room with a bath. If you wind up with one that only has a shower, it can make bath time a little more involved.

Hope this helps. Have a good trip.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I read a story about American Airlines recently changing their policy. I suppose they had been allowing all strollers to be gate checked. That means that you could wheel your kid around the whole airport in them right up to the door on the airplane. Then they take it and you get it back immediately when you get off the plane. No luggage carousels involved.

Now you will only be able to do that with small umbrella type strollers under 20lbs. Larger ones must be checked at the curb at the same time as you would give them your checked luggage. If this may be an issue, be sure to verify your airlines policy.

Overhead Bin - Planning to gate-check that stroller? Check again

Top Bottom