• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I love camping, even if it is just at Raccoon SRA. I just don't get to do it as often as I like. My wife doesn't like it too much. Maybe its because we have 9 kids. Anyway, I'm planning on at least getting the older kids out a few times this summer. Shades and Turkey Run are great, as is McCormick's Creek.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I love camping, even if it is just at Raccoon SRA. I just don't get to do it as often as I like. My wife doesn't like it too much. Maybe its because we have 9 kids. Anyway, I'm planning on at least getting the older kids out a few times this summer. Shades and Turkey Run are great, as is McCormick's Creek.

Wow, nine kids. You need a decent size camper with plenty of storage.

I know I have a couple units on my lot which sleep nine. I own a RV dealership, look me up when you are ready to buy. ;)

We try to get out every other weekend. Sometimes it is just to a state park here in NE Indiana so I am able to drive back to the dealership if I need to as Saturdays are the busiest days. I am fortunate as I can just grab something from inventory, but we do have our own personal coach which we use.

JustinCase

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Greenwood
    We have stayed at Brown County several times. Buffalo Ridge is not the section you are looking for. Buffalo Ridge is a busy area full of familys and travel trailers. If you are looking for peace and quite, Taylor Ridge is way in the back. It is electric, but heavily wooded and not usually very busy. The Horseman section is also heavily wooded and electric. They also offer a non-electric Horsemen section, but I can not give you an opinion on that section as I have never been through there.

Spring Mill is also another great state park in the same area worth checking out.

I've been to the Horseman camp many times. It's a fun place but you have to have horses to camp there.

JustinCase

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Greenwood
    Im talking about going to Turkey Run State park and getting some campsites with the wife and kids. Sit around a campfire talk, let the wives meet. Go hiking, canoeing, cook hot dogs over the fire. We have a Travel Trailer we take out just about every weekend figured it would be nice to get some people together to share the outdoors with.

Count me in. We love to camp too. Haven't been to Turkey Run yet so would love to check it out and meet some INGO members.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I love to go camping. Though we don't rough it as much anymore. Bought a small pop-up camper a couple of years ago. I hate to admit it but it does beat sleeping on the ground and the air conditioner is nice for getting the kids out of the heat.

I would be game for an INGO camping trip. Maybe even do a little shooting or something. Spring time is very busy for me, but I would do my best to make time depending on location.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My wife and used to camp ALL the time. Then she discovered hotels and showers.....

I've about got her talked into a small camper. Just needs to be big enough for us and the little one. Just need to find the $$$, and it is still way down the list. :(

Two words: Truck Camper.

And you can still tow the Jeep.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    school is out for me in three weekends. I plan on going the first weekend of May with a buddy and a bunch of kids. I would not mind having a group. We usually get a primitive spot or several at either pokagon or chain o lakes.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    school is out for me in three weekends. I plan on going the first weekend of May with a buddy and a bunch of kids. I would not mind having a group. We usually get a primitive spot or several at either pokagon or chain o lakes.

Both nice state parks.

In this area we are partial to Ouabache outside of Bluffton. A very nice state park, very clean, and lots of stuff to do. They got rid of their primitive section a couple years back, it is all electric now.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I love to go camping. Though we don't rough it as much anymore. Bought a small pop-up camper a couple of years ago. I hate to admit it but it does beat sleeping on the ground and the air conditioner is nice for getting the kids out of the heat.

Pop ups are very popular, we sell a ton of them.

They can be a hard seller to the wife. If they family is used to sleeping in a tent, the wife is thrilled to get into a pop up, especially if it has A/C and a bathroom. If she has never camped before, the wives are not usually to excited about getting into one. They much rather have a travel trailer, fifth wheel or motorhome.

Two big sellers of pop ups are they are inexpensive, and you do not need a 1 ton truck to pull one. Throw a hitch on the family mini-van and go camping.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Pop ups are very popular, we sell a ton of them.

They can be a hard seller to the wife. If they family is used to sleeping in a tent, the wife is thrilled to get into a pop up, especially if it has A/C and a bathroom. If she has never camped before, the wives are not usually to excited about getting into one. They much rather have a travel trailer, fifth wheel or motorhome.

Two big sellers of pop ups are they are inexpensive, and you do not need a 1 ton truck to pull one. Throw a hitch on the family mini-van and go camping.

Yep we were tent campers. Bought a small 8 foot x 6 foot pop-up. We pull it around with an all wheel drive station wagon. Even took a trip to Disney world last summer. Averaged just under 19 MPG for the trip. I have to admit it is more comfortable then a tent.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    The family and I might head to turkey run this Friday and Saturday if anyone wants to join. We upgraded from a 10' box pop-up to a 29' bunkhouse and I'm itching to get it out.

Nothing is set in stone as of yet, but its looking pretty good so far.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have heard Ouabache state park has been packed the last month on weekends. My only concern is a week or so ago it did get down well below freezing and even had flurries here in Fort Wayne. If someone flushes out the anti-freeze and the camper is stored outdoors, one does run the risk of freezing their pipes.

I was told by a couple we know the restrooms/showers are still closed and the water is still turned off at Ouabache, so you may need to fill your water tank before heading out to Turkey Run. Have fun with the new camper.

Top Bottom