• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Plymouth
    I've been trying to do my research but I'm a bit confused.

I'm flying commercially to AZ and I've done my research on transporting my firearm in checked baggage and declaring it. Has anyone ever had any issues doing this?

Also, the part that I can't quite figure out is reciprocity of my license. AZ law states the person in possession of the firearm must be 21. I am 20. So can I not legally carry in AZ since I'm not 21 but AZ accepts my license to carry?

Any clarification and help would be greatly appreciated.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    regarding the checking - I've only travelled with long guns (that'll change next month), but I always have it in a dedicated, har-side, lockable gun case - and it must be declared. THey have me show that it's unloaded and then I lock it in front of them. (in other words, don't just put it in a piece of checked luggage and assume that is all that you need)
    I always check with the specific airline's webpage also.
    Your mileage may vary

About the LTCH --- no idea

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    We live in AZ along with Ind. My son is 18, has an Indiana carry permit and does carry in AZ. I've talked to many "officials" about it. All have said that it's ok to carry. AZ has no requirement for a permit to carry but it does say the age is 21 and over. I know it is confusing for an out of stater between 18-21.

Jer

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Arizona respects your right to carry, but that being said, you must be in accordance with their local law.
    i.e.. I can carry in New Jersey but I must change the type of ammunition.
    I can carry in New York but must download to seven rounds.
    You can carry in Arizona but the minimum age for a handgun is 21.

Arizona honors all other states Permits/Licenses.
    Arizona Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses (You must be 21 Years old to carry in Arizona) Permitless Carry In Arizona
    Arizona has passed “Permitless Carry.” That means anyone who can legally own/purchase a firearm and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license. This new law becomes effective July 29, 2010. Those who wish to carry in Arizona without a permit/license from AZ or any other state can not carry in the places listed in the “Places Off Limits Even With a Permit’ section below. Arizona did not remove other restrictions in their law when they passed Permitless Carry. If you choose to carry without a permit from Arizona or any other state you must also abide by the following restriction.

4-229. Licenses; Handguns; Posting of Notice
    A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the
    premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits
    the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following
    requirements:
    1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the
    liquor license posted on the licensed premises.
    2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.
    3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229".

B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted
    the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.
    C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:

1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section before the
    violation.
    2. Any one or more of the following apply:
    (a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down.
    (b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.
    (c) The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty
    days before the violation.
    D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make
    them available at no cost to licensees.
    Note: If you do not have a permit/license issued by the State of Arizona or any other state you can not carry into places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. If not a prohibited possessor, you may carry a handgun openly in public at 18 years of age.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was gonna wish you a safe trip and tell you to check out Caduces Cellars (the winery owned by TOOL frontman Maynard James Keenan, also a 2A supporter)

But since you aren't 21 I'd say no you can't carry and never mind about the winery trip.

Still have a safe and fun trip.

Top Bottom