• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    I am driving to Montana in a couple of weeks with my kiddo and will be stopping to camp in the Badlands in South Dakota. I always carry my firearm when I camp here in Indiana and would feel kind of nervous being without it if I choose to leave it behind on my trip. The reason I am considering leaving it behind is because I have to drive through Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota and Montana; and I am unsure of all these particular states laws and regulations on out of state carry licenses. I'm sure Illinois would be my worst problem, and I'm just not sure it would be worth all the complications to take it along. On the other hand-- I dont want to be alone, in the dark, in South Dakota without my gun! I stop at nothing to keep myself and my son safe so perhaps I should go to the extra effort to find out each states regulations and stay armed. Any thoughts?

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Congrats on going to MT! As for transporting a firearm across state lines... IANAL but, if it is unloaded, locked away in the trunk, then it is ok to take wherever you want, providing you don't plan on spending the night in a state with restrictions. So, then you just need to figure out where you plan to stop for the night, and go to the State police website for those states for their info on how/ where you can carry. Also, there are quite a few places on the Internet that have current lists of reciprocity with Indiana. Have a great time!

Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    Also, there are quite a few places on the Internet that have current lists of reciprocity with Indiana.
    Easily found! It looks like IL and MN are the only two that do not have reciprocity with Indiana. I'll just be passing through both of these, but IL still makes me a bit uncertain. Maybe I should drive to Michigan and get a ferry over to Wisconsin to avoid this vile state!;)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Easily found! It looks like IL and MN are the only two that do not have reciprocity with Indiana. I'll just be passing through both of these, but IL still makes me a bit uncertain. Maybe I should drive to Michigan and get a ferry over to Wisconsin to avoid this vile state!;)

Illinois is not that scary. Unloaded gun can be carried in a case anywhere in the car, and the courts have ruled that your glove box or center console meets the definition of a case.

Here is the statute for MN:

Subd. 9.Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice.

A permit to carry is not required of a person:

<...>

(5) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.

So, if you have a gun case, unload your pistol and put it in the case until you get through MN and you'll be good to go. Of course you can carry in WI if you want.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    If you plan on walking around much in the woods......44magnum at a minimum. Bears are no joke!

I miss it out there. Moved here from Montana after being there about 6 years. Where you heading?

Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    Thanks for that info, Ryknoll3. That is very helpful! Sounds pretty straightforward...

I carry a .357, so if I end up hiking or anything I think it will be sufficient should I meet up with mama bear. Hopefully.
    I'm going to visit my sister and her husband on their ranch near Spearfish. I shouldn't have much to worry about once there, but it is the trip, and camping in S Dakota where I'll not want to be without my trusty companion!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    A .357 might get you out of a pinch with a black bear, but it'll just **** off a brown bear or grizzly bear....unless you plan on making eye/brain shots!

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If you plan on walking around much in the woods......44magnum at a minimum. Bears are no joke!

I miss it out there. Moved here from Montana after being there about 6 years. Where you heading?

Listen to the man. My wife owns a small property about 2 hrs NE of Billings. Shortly before we was there last fall a homeowner killed a 200 pound Wolf that was stalking her while she was in her garden.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    .357 Magnum is not reliable against bears and if you don't kill an attacking bear, you will probably die horribly. In my opinion, you want at least .44 Magnum. The Ruger Super Blackhawk is an excellent choice.

If you're not going to be in areas where bears are a concern, then your .357 will protect against 2-legged attackers.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Animals in Montana are bigger and more 'wild' if you will....there aren't as any humans out there to be scared of. You are trespassing on the animals land, and they will defend it like you would yours.

Watch out for moose, too.....mean bastards. I've seen a broadhead bounce right off a badger's forehead once, too! The guy that shot it was watching his arrow so he could retrieve it, but I bolted, lol. He followed shortly behind. Lol.

When I make it back to Montana, I will be carrying my 460SW when I go out in the sticks.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Also be mindful of snakes....you are expected to kill any rattler/bull you come across. I wouldn't be surprised if it was state law, lol.

Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    Grizzlys, snakes, wolves--good grief! You'all are making me consider a hotel! lol

Once in Montana my Sister and bro inlaw will be well equipped to handle any beasties we may meet. The only time I will need to be aware of the wildlife is in S. Dakota where I am just going to pitch a tent for the night. My biggest concern, really, is of the two legged variety.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    I'm actually considering moving to western MT. I have a .45 1911 and a 20g shotgun but somehow I think those aren't going to get me out of any Mama Bear encounter. What should I look into purchasing?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I'm actually considering moving to western MT. I have a .45 1911 and a 20g shotgun but somehow I think those aren't going to get me out of any Mama Bear encounter. What should I look into purchasing?

Depends on where you are moving to.....if you are moving to Missoula, I'm not going to help you! lol.....

For on your person, and against potential animal issues, a 44 should be minimum. But if you plan to move to Montana you need more than 3 guns!! :rockwoot:
    Tactical Shovels work great for snakes, too...:laugh:

You are going to need the following:
    bird gun
    big game rifle(s)
    p-dog gun
    plinker gun(s)
    snake gun
    yote gun
    ...you get the idea...

Top Bottom