• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I'm going on a hog hunt in Texas coming up in September. I've decided to take my 300BLK SBR, 16" bolt gun, and a 30cal suppressor.

From the research I've done, it appears that I do not need to notify the ATF for traveling across state lines for the suppressor. But they do need notified about the SBR with the Interstate Transport Form. Has anyone completed one of these and did you have any issues? I plan on scanning and emailing my forms.

Our current plans are to drive to Texas. I'm going to lock my hard case up with the SBR, 16" bolt gun, handgun, suppressor, and throw it in the bed of the truck; which is covered.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You are correct. Form 5320 for the SBR, everything else is good to go. Be careful driving through Illinois.

Like everything ATF, they’re kind of slow, I’d submit the form yesterday.

Where are you hog hunting?

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    Wait a sec...you don't need to notify the ATF before taking a muffler across state lines? Not that I want to do so, that's just been my interpretation for a hot minute.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are correct. Form 5320 for the SBR, everything else is good to go. Be careful driving through Detour around Illinois.

Like everything ATF, they’re kind of slow, I’d submit the form yesterday.

Where are you hog hunting?
    FIFY. (assuming East Texas) Taking 69 to get past IL only adds about 15 minutes to the trip.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    That is true you don't have to put those on a 5320. But if I have room left on a 5320 I go ahead and add the suppressor, because why not? Just in case you get pulled over by a one bullet Barney Fife that wants to give you grief over the paperwork

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I've never understood the "Suppressors are regulated as a firearm, but they're not a firearm when it comes to the 5320" situation. One more inconsistency from the manor lord.
    Totally agree. I actually had to explain that to a friend of mine that's a cop about the difference between traveling with a suppressor and traveling with any other NFA item. He just didn't understand it he still doesn't understand it to this day. He cannot wrap his head around the fact that you have to have a 5320 for everything else but a suppressor.

I wonder how many people ended up spending thousands of dollars to defend themselves when being pulled over with a suppressor because some flat foot didn't know or didn't understand the difference when it came to transporting a suppressor versus any other class three item.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Not the same as temporary interstate travel, but...

I recently did a 5320.20 for my NFA items, because I had moved (same county, same town) I called and asked, and was told that I did need to submit the form to report the relocation. I didn't agree. I asked Relford, he didn't agree either. The "Important Information for Currently Registered Firearms" section on my approved form 4 says:

Change of Address: Unless currently licensed under the Gun Control Act, the registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives,
    244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the address in item 2a.

I questioned that the form says I only have to "NOTIFY", and I was quickly interrupted and said a 5320.20 was required. I didn't want to not do it, now there was a record of my calling to ask and being told it needed to be done.

Another agent, that I worked with to make a small correction to form, answered my question about notifying them regarding a change in configuration (barrel length) to an SBR by saying that I could just send a letter or even an email.

That is covered in the same section of the form with with statement:

Change of Description: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of
    any change to the description of the firearm(s) in item 4.

I hate inconsistency and vagueness of language, in the same document "NOTIFY" means two different actions, at least according the the rude Agent that fielded my first call.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    This, and the cost, is why I've never considered a class 3 weapon, or suppressor.......Have I wanted one, or many? Yes........This sounds like a regulatory nightmare...designed to purposely trip you up, and become a felon......

Top Bottom