Traveling with firearm thru O’Hare Airport?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I just flew to Denver and returned through Indianapolis. Excuse me but why go to O'Hare to go to Denver? Do you live close to Chicago?

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    O’Hare is much closer to me like actaeon mentioned. Last question is what is the procedure upon landing? Do they put my bag on the carousel or do I have to pick it up somewhere?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    O’Hare is much closer to me like actaeon mentioned. Last question is what is the procedure upon landing? Do they put my bag on the carousel or do I have to pick it up somewhere?

my experience has been different airlines do it different ways. If you can find the number for your airline at the airport you are going to, call and ssk.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Mine used to come out on the carousel. Last couple of years they’ve always pulled them and have been in the office.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I've never had any issues with checked firearms and airlines. And I've flown into a lot of liberal places. Whether flying for work or vacation. The one exception was when I returned to Indy from California. Got my 2 regular bags and started to go to the office to get my firearms and hear this (sound of hard case thumping end over end down the belt)

I look up and theres my hard case with my HK MP5 and SIG 228 in it like nothing happened. Everywhere else was great and easy to deal with.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

What does part 3 mean? It seems to contradict Part 2.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Your ammo can be stored in the same locked case as your firearm. The ammo needs to be in a secure container.

Like he said, it has to be a “secure” case (read that as a locked HARD case).

I speak from bad experience - after several hunting trips to northern ME, there was more than one time that my luggage with clothing-only would NOT make it to the destination airport, but my long-gun would (??). From this, I concluded that the only way to assure that my clothing would make it to my destination was to pack a handgun, unloaded, with a trigger lock, inside a locked case, and all that inside a locked suitcase with my clothing (all properly declared at Indy).

Made it out of Indy fine, but the return trip through Portland ME means they run your bags through an X-Ray while you wait, and my bag’s travel through the x-ray prompted EVERY TSA agent at the airport quickly came to the x-ray station (it’s not a large airport, but is where some of the 9-11 hijackers flew through) and basically shut everything down. I’m sure I’m on a list someplace now, but was fortunate that my buddy in ME was able to take possession of my piece, and ship it to me, instead of having to surrender it. Next time it’ll be in a hard case, but if you want to guarantee that your luggage won’t get lost, properly pack (and properly declare) your carry in it!

Top Bottom