• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's great stuff.

Cold weather is an area of training that many neglect either because it doesn't occur to them, or because they don't see how the weather can affect what they do so well in warmer weather.

In addition to what Mr. Haley mentioned, I think it's important for those of us who carry in the winter time actually spend some time at the range dressed the way we normally dress. Accessing a firearm from an IWB holster under multiple layers and then shooting it wearing the gloves that you actually wear to stay warm is often more challenging that many people anticipate. You don't know this until you try it enough times. In some cases, it can lead to changes in your plan in terms of attire and/or mode of carry.

Another thing is verifying that your gear works with your ammunition and your lube in cold weather. I know mine does because 1) I select lubes that are not significantly affected by temperatures that humans can tolerate, and 2) I've tested them.

Don't negelect testing yourself and your gear in the cold! It's different!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The last class I took was ACT's Low Light class. I remember having problems drawing and holstering because of the heavy sweatshirt and my Carhartt coat I was wearing. I had to tuck the sweatshirt into my jeans, and it still didn't help because of the IWB holster I was using, the MTAC.

I'm still looking for a better way to dress in the cold.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The last class I took was ACT's Low Light class. I remember having problems drawing and holstering because of the heavy sweatshirt and my Carhartt coat I was wearing. I had to tuck the sweatshirt into my jeans, and it still didn't help because of the IWB holster I was using, the MTAC.

Maybe your gun isn't the first go-to in every scenario. Where do you carry your primary and back-up knives, or your flashlight? Even in warm weather, those may be the better defensive choice.

OP: I would really like to do more cold weather training. I absolutely hate cold weather and always overdress, which some INGO members have noticed. I would like to see how my body and brain communicate in a less pleasurable climate, without having the ability to depend on others.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Maybe your gun isn't the first go-to in every scenario. Where do you carry your primary and back-up knives, or your flashlight? Even in warm weather, those may be the better defensive choice.

OP: I would really like to do more cold weather training. I absolutely hate cold weather and always overdress, which some INGO members have noticed. I would like to see how my body and brain communicate in a less pleasurable climate, without having the ability to depend on others.

Flashlight in my left pocket, knife in my right.

I'd still feel better if I could come up with a way to have my gun more accessible in the winter time.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Flashlight in my left pocket, knife in my right.

I'd still feel better if I could come up with a way to have my gun more accessible in the winter time.

Will the same holster allow an appendix carry? You skinny guys can get by with that. Some folks swear by such a carry method.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Will the same holster allow an appendix carry? You skinny guys can get by with that. Some folks swear by such a carry method.

Skinny? Hah! I wish.

I dunno, I've never actually tried this holster for Appendix carry. It's the regular Comp-TAC MTAC. They DO make an Appendix carry model.

I'll have to give it a try.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

OP: I would really like to do more cold weather training.

I first started really looking into cold-weather shooting last year. I found the replies in this thread very helpful: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-cold_weather_gear_shooting_or_otherwise.html

I found that with a bit of research you can find some gear that is thin and lightweight while still being warm. I'm not a fan of bulky clothing or coats, and adding a firearm into the mix makes things even worse. Base layering was a real eye-opener. It allows me to keep warm without adding a lot of bulk or weight.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Skinny? Hah! I wish.

I dunno, I've never actually tried this holster for Appendix carry. It's the regular Comp-TAC MTAC. They DO make an Appendix carry model.

I'll have to give it a try.

Compared to me and Rhino you are skinny. But so is Bet Middler so I can see why there is confusion. Might give appendix a try before buying a new holster. I think you have to be skinny or wear your pants like an old man at center of mass for it to work. I am not willing to wear my pants where it would work for me. Rhino told me it is because I am in denial about my waist size. He might be right about this.

Are you against OC? Just strap it on and things should be easier.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Obviously, you are a fine model of manly pistola carry. :bow:

I was waiting for the Ginge' to respond. :D

:hooked:

Ahhh. Now I see. Maybe he should just lay a 12 gauge on the dash of the Jeep and let it go at that.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Travis hates the cold he wasn't out there for very long I assure you of that LOL

as usual he has a good thing going

Top Bottom