• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    My insurance lady said trees can make bad neighbors :) Fortunately MOST of my neighbors are great people, but I have one old guy behind me that throws limbs that have fallen into his yard, but from my tree, over my privacy fence.....and I’m disabled in a wheelchair. I can only shake my head and feel sorry for someone that must be that miserable with their life.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Thanks to all of you for your sage advise. My next step is a full survey to legally know where the precise line is.
    Next step is getting quotations for a new fence that meets the criteria for the area I live in.

The rest of my neighbors are excellent people. We hang out and watch games, throw darts, have cookouts, and go shooting together. I couldn't ask for better folks to hang around with.
    I will not let this one bad apple spoil it.
    One day, her home will literally fall in on itself due to lack of care and maintenance.
    Then this event will be but a fleeting memory.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    We trim out limbs from the other side of the fence on occasion. If they cross the line they are mine basically. If one falls and causes injury/damage it is on the neighbor so whats the issue. Just do it. Or get a lawyer and bust her foul mouth up. Its not like she is going to like you regardless.
    If a neighbors tree (or limbs) fall on your house it is YOUR problem, NOT the neighbors. That’s something most don’t know until it happens.
    you do have the right to cut straight up the property line.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do not **** around when it comes to tree law. You can be absolutely reamed financially.

Get the right people to assess and verify before doing any cutting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If a neighbors tree (or limbs) fall on your house it is YOUR problem, NOT the neighbors. That’s something most don’t know until it happens.

Well, if I have told the neighbor about it and get what the OP got then oh yes it will be their problem one way or another. Just saying.
    We had a renter behind us trim out the privacy vines that filled our 6' chain link for....wait for it....privacy....and throw everything over the fence on our side.
    That was a very bad day for him. Very bad.
    Seems he had a few warrants. When the LEO arrived to get things under control he left with them. Karma......it is a real thing.

Seriously, just be responsible for your property. Work with your neighbors when you can.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Seriously, just be responsible for your property. Work with your neighbors when you can.

This advice right here would solve a lot of problems. A little communication goes a long way.

Also, trying to reach out and finding that your neighbor is the crazy, unreasonable, or obnoxious one lets you know ahead of time and you can prepare accordingly.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas

I recently learned this when a neighbor's tree fell on my mother's home. The way that insurance explained it to us is exactly the way Dirtbiker has. There could be recourse if there was a known problem that had been communicated over a period of time, but it would not be an insurance matter... and no guarantee that you would even win.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I've had to remove 48 Ash trees from my property and I have two neighbors who have just left the dead ones standing, my insurance company said if I take pictures and send them a registered letter they are responsible.
    If I don't say anything whoever's house the tree lands on pays for it. These are really good neighbors and I don't want to be that guy but they are big trees leaning over my garage and house. Gonna have to figure something out, I'm thinking about offering to have my tree guys do it and I'll pay. I heat with wood so I recoup the money for cutting them down.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Years ago the drunk renter next door came over, he was babbling on about how I had to trim my trees because they were in the way of where he wanted to install his new Direct TV dish.
    At the time, I drove an uplink truck for a living....

I asked the installer which birds he was trying to hit, got out my compass, and found a spot out by the street where it would work.
    That guy never talked to me again.....

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    What happens if a storm knocks down a tree limb, and it falls on your neighbors car? Who pays, isnt that what is considered an act of god, and the tree owner is not at fault?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Dirtebiker is spot on. I have done a lot of work on homes over the years that have been damaged by the neighbors trees. It is my understanding the only way around it is to send them a certified letter telling them there tree is a hazard to your property, and send yourself a copy by certified mail the same day. Never open yours.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My neighbor cuts the limbs that goes over his property then drags them back into my property... I don’t care... I figure he is doing half the work I needed to do anyways

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Trespass laws allow for you to enter or cross the neighbor's property to do necessary work if there's no way to access the work totally through your own. They also allow you to occupy the part of the neighbor's property necessary to do the actual work, eg repairing a fence. As for trees, you are able to trim any part of the tree that crosses your property line, but none on the other side, even if it makes the tree look mentally deficient. I have one neighbor that was a real reproductive organ and had his son butcher some of my bushes on the inside of my fence. He got to have a conversation with a law enforcement officer. The neighbors on the other side are nice. I had part of one of my trees fall over and mash the fence between our properties, which is actually also mine, but it's shared. I removed the branch and did the fence repair myself, almost all of which I had to do from their side. I was within my rights to be there, even if they had been the complaining sort. I also discovered the best way to paint chainlink is with a deep pile roller.

Top Bottom