• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    My aunts place in cloverdale has a huge trespassing/poaching problem. This year we have notarized permission slips. anyone without one gets one warning. and then a sheriff or CO gets called on a trespass. shes had trees cut, fences knocked, and the blinds place both towards her house and into the state land. and all sorts of issues with people shooting like asshats. its adjacent to cagle mill to which just makes people try get away with more.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hat is off to those of you who own land and can handle these trespass situations in a civil manner. I'd get locked up for aggravated assault the first time I caught someone on my land.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Just a word of caution, setting up booby traps, tiger traps or anything else (even on your own property) that could possibly cause bodily harm is not a good idea. Regardless if the person is trespassing, you are taking the risk of getting sued should someone receive an injury due to this. Don't ask me how I know.....let's just say I have a friend that lost a lot of money because of a incident.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Just a word of caution, setting up booby traps, tiger traps or anything else (even on your own property) that could possibly cause bodily harm is not a good idea. Regardless if the person is trespassing, you are taking the risk of getting sued should someone receive an injury due to this. Don't ask me how I know.....let's just say I have a friend that lost a lot of money because of a incident.

This^^^

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I know its definitely a topic that gets us all riled up. As far as the way we've decided to handle it, I've taken the "long view" of things. Is my good family name something worth tarnishing by handling a trespassing situation in a less then civil manner? Is it worth getting in a physical confrontation with someone who is also armed a fair distance from the road and help?

Not that being more assertive is wrong by any means. Just in our case the loss of a good name might be worth more than the loss of a trophy buck or the risk of physical injury.

It is clear that our efforts to be civil last year didn't seem to discourage an individual from coming back multiple times. We're really close to going the formal permission slip route, but that is a big hassle for the extended family that hunts a lot of the ground in the area. For generations it has been a verbal understanding that the family could hunt it. Really a shame that a couple of people are on the verge of ruining that.

The wild thing about this is our ground is by no means a big buck haven. Its just an average piece of farmland with a little bit of woods on it. I'm honestly not sure why it has attracted so much attention in recent years, although we've joked that the more "no trespassing / no hunting" signs that we've put up, the more people we've had on the property. Maybe they think we're trying to protect a real honey hole!!

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Hate to hear about your trespassing issues. I'd love to have a place to hunt and trespassers ruin it for people like me. Hope this guy doesn't come back.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    It's an annual occurrence for us here also. Here is what i do.

I take a decent DSLR along with me.
    I identify myself.
    I take a picture of them.

As I walk them off of my property, I let them know that I will keep the photo for evidence and if I see them on my property again, there will be a trespass complaint filed with the sheriff.

Then I also take a picture of their vehicle and the plate number and wish them a good day.

Even having several , several , " No Tresspassing " signs .......This is what I have sadly had to do numerous times ..........except I do not wish them a good day . Most feel relieved to be on their way .

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Have you ever used one of these.......:lmfao:

They will beat the living crap out of you.

Before we bought a post hole auger for the kubota I can remember hating my dads hand held. Even with two people those things are a good workout.

Yes, I have heard. That is why I have young men. Indentured servitude works for me.

I don't have access to a tractor right now. This will have to do.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On the bright side, counseling trespassers is a good opportunity for you and half a dozen of your closest friends to wear your body armor and see how the slings on your ARs manage the weight of a loaded rifle while you're walking.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I own a good patch of hunting ground and have given exactly 1 person permission to hunt there. Twice he's pulled on to the property and twice some busybody who lives 1000 feet away has defended my property by calling the police on him for trespassing. She's nuts.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I own a good patch of hunting ground and have given exactly 1 person permission to hunt there. Twice he's pulled on to the property and twice some busybody who lives 1000 feet away has defended my property by calling the police on him for trespassing. She's nuts.

I'm OK with that. If I've provided said hunter with adequate documentation, the responding officer will reply with "Carry On".

Top Bottom