• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    Hello shooters! So... Who here has a SKS and wants the best for it? Well the best way is leave it stock if your normal. Well,,,, Im not normal :banana:

I found a company called Rifletech, ordered two 37 rd mags, the adapter and a ATI Dragunov stock that was supposed to be fit to my rifle (poor job). While the stock was overpriced and i could of did just as good of job to fit my gun, the mags where interesting. SKS HITECH Mag -- You decide! (High Capacity Magazine) Beware they are exspensive also!

There is a Tapco adapter out there also that uses modified duckbill less 20 rd mags, Im just not sure who. I found that out after I spent 100 and something on the Rifletech mags. The Rifletech mags are working good and reliable! I actually welded the adapter in place and polished the throat of my SKS to enhance feeding. So there is the my first step.

The ATI Stock looks really nice on the gun. I installed a Harris style bi-pod and cut the back of the stock off so I can open it up to clean. The stock feels nice overall, but its not a tactical its sporting sorta. I actually wished I got the Rifletech 15rd mags instead so I could have it lower to the ground.

2010-09-04_11-56-32_673.jpg

Scope mount. I found the Choate centered side mount is the best option Choate Scope Mount SKS Steel Blue - MidwayUSA. I had my very skilled machinest dad install the mount. He mentioned the receiver was very hard almost breaking the bit! I put a 3-9x40 scope on it with this stupid shell deflector that mounts on the sight. Basically a FAIL, scopes to long shell deflector is poo!

150249_1496752334465_1103817341_31124753_5712506_n.jpg

I now have a BSA 2.5x20 scope on the way BSA Deerhunter Shotgun Scope 2.5x 20mm Duplex Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA. It will in theory be short enough! I only shot about 100 rds, but I will torture test it in a week while on leave. This set up is more of a target fun gun, that can easily be a hunter with smaller mag. The gun will shoot 3 rounds in a 2" circle with brown bear HP. I will give a follow up after I shoot a couple 100 rounds through it.

I kinda wished i had the M4 stock and shortened the barrel but Ill leave it like this.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    How is the receiver held in place?
    Are there any perceived problems with cutting the back of the stock out?
    Was it a structural piece, as in holding the receiver under recoil?
    :dunno:

I thought I saw where someone had done that and had a issue with the stock eventually cracking.
    It might not have been a SKS but it's been a long time since I saw
    it and I might be mistaken.

Top Bottom