• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badapples

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Jennings County
    My wife has gone trapshooting with me a couple of times over the years. Bought her a gun and had a stock made for it that fit her. Went a couple of times and then lost interest. Cannot for the life of me get her to shoot a pistol. Have tried several times without success. I agree with not being pushy, maybe someday.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was able to get my wife to go once to the range and was just too scared after she fired one round. I didn't push making a return trip again. Recently she inquired on getting her LTCH. I offered to pay for a training course before she did that. She thought that was a good idea. I tried to get her to go with me on a recent trip and she seemed excited but when it was time to go she got nervous again. She is supportive about keeping firearms in the house and I think she wants to take the next step but i am not going to push her. Perhaps a training class that emphasizes safety and training without live fire may be a good start.

It is. It could also be that she was started on a caliber too large for her to be comfortable. You probably need to have a conversation and ask why she is nervous. IF she wont say, ask her probing and leading questions like was it too loud, too much kick, did you not think you could control it, etc.

Put a heavy 22 in her hands like a Ruger 22/45 or MK II and she'll probably have a blast. Then slowly work her up to larger guns. my wife loves my 22.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Years ago my wife just tolerated guns being around... Then she said she went shooting then a year or so later said she wanted her LTCH..... And at some point said she wanted some sort of pistol... Other day told me that she wants to start to go shooting with everyone regularly and wants a .45.

i think it started when she had the kids at wal-mart I think I was and a creepy guy in the parking lot freaked her out.

i found that occasional gentle comments worked best..... Took years though. Before if she heard a noise a gun was out of the question...... A while back she cleared the house with one.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just waited to find a girl that liked guns then married her so I don't know your pain. She could really care less other than knowing she has it and can use it well. She doesn't want to constantly go shooting with me and giggity over the latest models of guns. I mean come on, that would be too good to be true

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I just waited to find a girl that liked guns then married her so I don't know your pain. She could really care less other than knowing she has it and can use it well. She doesn't want to constantly go shooting with me and giggity over the latest models of guns. I mean come on, that would be too good to be true

I have a hard time reading my gun mags before my wife gets to them. The only reason I am more up to date on new guns is because I am online more frequently than she is. Fortunately for me, she doesn't like to shoot quite as much as I do, but she does put in the time at the reloading bench with me when its time to do a big run on one of her calibers.

Mine didnt start out a gun lover, but over time, she has some around. I think the best one was when we were at a friends for a cookout, and he pulled me inside to show me his new gun ( his ONLY gun), and the wife followed. After she looked it over, she showed him her newest gun ( that she never leaves home without).

clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    The 'shock factor' may work against you. If she's afraid of violence, doubling down on that maybe isn't going to help you.
    Tell you what, ask her, as a FAVOR, to come to the range with you. Have her take a few shots with some light calibers, just to open the door. Maybe say this is something that you would ask, as something that is important to you, for something that you could share (that's language she could understand, hopefully.)

I'll be honest, the thing that got my wife interested was the Green Glowy dot on my Kimber Carry II. In her words "It's so NEAT!" Who would have thunk, right? All it took was a little laser, and she was hooked.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Show this to her. Only you will know if this is too much, but it's only one suggestion among the many you will get.

[video=youtube_share;NdOcxAjjApw]http://youtu.be/NdOcxAjjApw[/video]

That should be a sticky. Everyone should see that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wife has carried a Colt Detective Special since 80, she shoots it off and on just to make sure she still can. When they're ready they will pick it up, it's just a matter of being patient.:)

nashfred01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hate that it takes videos like this to convince people. The odds are against anything like that happening to you, but better to be safe than sorry. Good luck with the wife, we all know what you are talking about.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    So I was talking to wife about shooting sports and just generally trying to get her interested and the conversation went something like this:
    Me:So do you want to go to the range with me?

Wife:No, I dont like guns and I am not interested in them at all.

Me: Well, I would like you to have a basic familiarity with them just in case something happens while I am not at home.

Wife:To use a gun don't you have to be kinda far away from the person? (note, she asked while sitting in my lap)

Me: No, I could shoot you from right here...(at this point I realized that my foot had fully inserted itself into my mouth)

Wife: gee...that REALLY makes me want to learn now...

So, how does one recover from this?

I got my wife into shooting in baby steps first in the back yard with a BB gun just plink'n at some shoot'n see targets... she was watch'n me plink and I just ask her if she wanted to take a few shots, then we started taken about gun safety and from then on she was hooked and moved on to 22's and then on to 22 hand guns and so on, with gun safety as we went along.... She is a very good shot I have to say and we still plink with that ol' BB gun from time to time... Just a thought maybe this may help get her or make her feel a little less scared of shoot'n or guns at all... Good luck....

Top Bottom