• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As I said above, I think it's certainly possible to shoot a heavier and/or crappy trigger well, but it's much easier to be consistently accurate with a better trigger. it's easier, right? Or why else would you tune your revolver triggers at all?

glock triggers do suck. Yes, I can shoot them well. But I can't shoot them well as consistently or easily as a 1911 trigger. any little change in trgger press really shows up on the target with the glock triggers. I find them very unforgiving.

While not shooting DA every shot like a revo, I came up through the shooting sports shooting a DA/SA gun. I practiced with DA a LOT. SA was still consistently more accurate... while also being quicker to get the shot off.

after shooting glocks for a couple seasons, when I picked up the 1911s this past year I was like "oh, wow, I forgot what it was like to shoot a decent gun!" haha

-rvb

So, I'm probably not going to be very impressed this weekend when I shoot a Glock for the first time, eh? I normally shoot a 1911. And buying the new highly celebrated Gen 5 isn't going to make me a better shooter, is it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, I'm probably not going to be very impressed this weekend when I shoot a Glock for the first time, eh? I normally shoot a 1911. And buying the new highly celebrated Gen 5 isn't going to make me a better shooter, is it?

"you" make` "You" a better shooter.

The equipment will play into this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

You will be fine as long as you go slow and concentrate on your trigger pull (while keeping the front sight on target). The difficult part is doing that under pressure. ;)

You've been practicing with a lot of dry fire, right?

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

well, everyone is different, but man when I first switched to glock I was all over the place. I couldn't shoot that thing for sh*t. took a lot of work and a lot of dryfire to get anywhere with it. I find the reach to the trigger fairly long, and it took a lot of work to figure out how to shoot it well. good luck. :)

-rvb

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    you can't tell a different in controllability between a 4 lb and 8 lb trigger?
    I like good triggers but not crazy light. even my open gun is about 2.5-3 lb.

reset has nothing to do with making a good shot.

If you're breaking shots un-intended with a light trigger, that's not the trigger's fault.

2c

-rvb

I think it is pretty obvious that I know the difference between a 4 lb and 8 lb trigger. I was only trying to make a point. I don't even own a pistol with an 8 pound pull. There are stories of people that lift way heavier weights under stress (such as an infant trapped under a heavy object) or accounts in the civil war of soldiers loading multiple balls in their rifle not recognizing that it never fired. If everyone can keep themselves at the same stress level during a real gunfight vs shooting at the range then my hats off to them they are a calm and collected individual.

My opinion is a 3.5 to 4 pound trigger seems to be a good place to be. I have two cz's with about 2# triggers and all my 1911's are about 4 pounds. I have competed with both in action shooting.and frankly don't think I recognized the difference. I am probably just not at that point yet.

Dave​

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    As I said above, I think it's certainly possible to shoot a heavier and/or crappy trigger well, but it's much easier to be consistently accurate with a better trigger. it's easier, right? Or why else would you tune your revolver triggers at all?

glock triggers do suck. Yes, I can shoot them well. But I can't shoot them well as consistently or easily as a 1911 trigger. any little change in trgger press really shows up on the target with the glock triggers. I find them very unforgiving.

While not shooting DA every shot like a revo, I came up through the shooting sports shooting a DA/SA gun. I practiced with DA a LOT. SA was still consistently more accurate... while also being quicker to get the shot off.

after shooting glocks for a couple seasons, when I picked up the 1911s this past year I was like "oh, wow, I forgot what it was like to shoot a decent gun!" haha

-rvb

Consistency is THE reason we like lighter triggers. If I can shoot 90% points in a USPSA match with a tuned Revolver and a untuned Revolver drops me even 1% then the cost of tuning a Revolver is worth every penny.
    IMO a 1911/2011 has the best trigger of any handgun and that is why it is the predominate gun in the in several divisions in USPSA and in other handgun sports. A 5 pound trigger on a 1911 is nothing like a 5 pound trigger on a Glock or other guns.
    But like the OP was asking a heavier trigger in place of trigger discipline(safety) is not the answer.
    The reason most shooters shoot a lighter trigger better is because it minimizes poor trigger control and make it more forgiving(consistent). If you practice trigger control then the weight of the trigger pull becomes less important.:twocents:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It boils down to what you're used to, what you train with and what you're willing to accept as "good enough". I was forced to use an 8lb trigger for years and it sucked. I had pistols with 5lb triggers in them and I shot them far better. Once I found myself in a position to influence a change the 8lb trigger curse was lifted and I, along with many others, reaped the benefits without any negative consequences.

Hey guys, the gentleman above is right here. I know it's rifle, but everything I've done in my signature lines was done with a trigger that breaks at about 4.8 lbs, even thought the rules say I can have it as low as 4 lbs 8.0 oz. It came from Bill Geissele that way, and I just kinda started shooting it instead of fiddling with it. Soon enough, between thousands of rounds worth of dry fire and live fire, I started getting used to it and success followed. It's been 9 years now, and probably 15,000+ trigger cycles, and whaddaya know, I can shoot under 1/2 minute with that trigger, which most rifle guys would consider "heavy".

The key is better trigger control. That's on the shooter, not the trigger.

I err on the side of safety and reliability, with a secondary goal of a "reasonable" weight trigger. I also try not to set my sear engagement to "stupid". THAT's what will get you in trouble more often.

ETA: I do recognize that I do not have the bona fides that some of you undoubtedly have in pistol sports. That being said, with regard to the above statement, I will note that I would place an exception on 50m Free Pistol and 10m Air. Those MF targets are so small they're like torture instead of sport.

-Nate

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Hey guys, the gentleman above is right here. I know it's rifle, but everything I've done in my signature lines was done with a trigger that breaks at about 4.8 lbs, even thought the rules say I can have it as low as 4 lbs 8.0 oz.
    The key is better trigger control. That's on the shooter, not the trigger.

why not use a GI trigger? You're only ~5oz over the min weight, it's not like you're way above the min weight. and using an aftermarket 2 stage. why?

I keep seeing people say "see, with my custom trigger, trigger pull doesn't matter."

-rvb

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I keep seeing people say "see, with my custom trigger, trigger pull doesn't matter."...

Can't help but notice that.

A big thanks though to all of the folks commenting who are truly at the top of their game. The info is good for us all, newbies and seasoned alike. :ingo:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Consistency is THE reason we like lighter triggers.
    The reason most shooters shoot a lighter trigger better is because it minimizes poor trigger control and make it more forgiving(consistent). If you practice trigger control then the weight of the trigger pull becomes less important.:twocents:

Somewhat what I was trying to say. But even if I practice the hell out of trigger control, I'm still human. I can still get a bad draw, or have to make a tight shot around a hard lean, or flat make a mistake and get a little smashy on the trigger, or push my limits a bit to the edge on speed. or maybe I'm the only one with these foibles... a legit possibility! haha.

-rvb

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    why not use a GI trigger? You're only ~5oz over the min weight, it's not like you're way above the min weight. and using an aftermarket 2 stage. why?

I keep seeing people say "see, with my custom trigger, trigger pull doesn't matter."

-rvb

Creep and overtravel with a Geissele are night and day when compared to a GI trigger. These play a considerable role in accuracy and consistency, particularly in distance rifle work.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yup.

A GI trigger, which I have used, breaks +/- probably 5 ounces, and tries it's best to emulate a stale carrot.

Take account that we need to be shooting ~5-6" groups at 200 yards: we are trying to hang on to the very last ounce as the sights move around, so it is far more important that the trigger break consistently than it is the overall weight.

Can I shoot a GI into 1/2 Minute? Sure. Is it the weight that makes me choose not to do so? No.

-Nate

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, it's not clear to me whether your trigger question is primarily from a competition perspective or a personal defense perspective. Which? Even if the former, do you carry the same gun for defensive purposes?

I appreciate a nice light trigger pull as much as anyone but having done idpa/uspsa/steel challlenge for about a year I am questioning the utility of a sub 4 pound trigger. I am wondering if anyone thinks they benefit from such light triggers in action shooting? ... I also wonder if in a self defense situation if anyone will notice the difference between 4 pounds and 8 pounds when the adrenaline is really up. ....

I'm going to reply to my own post as I didn't see this question answered. The OP is mixing his trigger question with two different contexts - competition and self-defense.

My 2 cents in short:

• For competition purposes, do whatever floats your boat within the rules of the competition of your choice.
    • For defensive purposes, keep your gun stock and put in the work necessary to master the trigger.

Top Bottom